• Announcements

• PsychoI3oy

Unsupported devices & future versions   09/03/16

Unsupported devices posts outside the Device requests forum will be deleted without comment. Posts asking about/for future versions of CM will be locked and/or deleted.   We don't have a crystal ball; we don't know if someone will make CM $version for your deivce or if CM $version+1 will be made for your supported device.
Halzen

Huawei Ideos U8150 / TMobile Comet

42 posts in this topic

Well, I don't quite have the dough (or the credit) for a higher-end smartphone like the Samsung Vibrant, but I would like to have a personal Android device again (had Cyanogen on a MyTouch 3G and loved it). My question: has anyone had luck porting CM6 to the Comet? It's a low-end device, but it is running Android 2.2 out of the box. I'm going to keep poking around to get more specific info, but I'd like to hear from anyone else on the topic.

Well, I don't quite have the dough (or the credit) for a higher-end smartphone like the Samsung Vibrant, but I would like to have a personal Android device again (had Cyanogen on a MyTouch 3G and loved it). My question: has anyone had luck porting CM6 to the Comet? It's a low-end device, but it is running Android 2.2 out of the box. I'm going to keep poking around to get more specific info, but I'd like to hear from anyone else on the topic.

I have seen a port to the pulse, which is basically a very similar model to the comet except in europe. I have been looking as well though. If you find anything, let me know.

I am also interested in a port to the T-Mobile Comet/Huawei Ideos. While it's a low-end phone, it is running Froyo out of the box, so it has to have some horsepower. I like the phone, although I also like the potential improvements Cyanogen offers.

Please, if you are a developer with some free time, please consider this and make us budget Android users happy! :D

Okay I just got the T-Mobile Comet

I can not view Flash Applications And Flash Videos (Only the youtube app works)

I am looking for a good custom Rom For This Phone That Supports Adobe Flash Or Already Installed.

Suggestions Would Be Great!

Okay I just got the T-Mobile Comet

I can not view Flash Applications And Flash Videos (Only the youtube app works)

I am looking for a good custom Rom For This Phone That Supports Adobe Flash Or Already Installed.

Suggestions Would Be Great!

I do not believe the Comet's hardware supports Flash based Video.

Edit:

Just looked at the hardware for this phone, it doesn't have the hardware for .flv support.

as far a custom ROM for this phone you'll have to search Google for one. I do not know of any sites that supports the Huawei phone line.

Edited by mjneid

What about a ported cyano for the Huawei Ideos? Does it exist? I couldn't find it.

It was hard enough to find it, but Huawei's source code for the T-Mobile Comet is available. '>Here is the kernel code(1), and '>here is the rest of it(2), I believe.

Hopefully somebody can find this useful....

(1): hxxp://www.huaweidevice.com/tcpsdownload/downLoadCenter?category=&flay=software&fileName=101014093951.zip&attachmentName=kernel-2.6.32-U8150-Froyo.zip

(2): hxxp://www.huaweidevice.com/tcpsdownload/downLoadCenter?category=&flay=software&fileName=101014115035.zip&attachmentName=U8150%20V100R001C85B823SP01(USA%20TMO-Postpay).zip

Edited by Conan Kudo

Thanks Conan for doing some research!

I'm not sure if it makes any difference software-wise, but my Comet is prepaid and the link you provided specifies "Postpay" in it. Possible issue for prepaid customers? huh.gif

Please note that apparently Huawei's site requires the "www", so if you were having issues downloading the files, that's the problem. Talk about bad web design....... rolleyes.gif

Again, any available devs out there willing to take on this project? If so, my Comet would greatly appreciate CyanogenMod, if you know what I'm saying...... biggrin.gif

I'd be keen to see something, we have a lot of those phones in our country and I know a dozen people who've got them for Christmas. Without a lot of knowledge in this area, I would presume that starting with the Wildfire as a base ROM would be a good idea, considering they're the same screen resolution?

Is there a "Getting started" guide anywhere? I probably just need a bit of a point in the right direction. Most of the threads I see have posts saying "Oh look this person over at XDA has already done this, see this thread", but no word on how they got started...?

So I'm wondering about compiling CM7 for Wildfire (Buzz) and flashing that, due to the fact it has a similar screen res (240x320) to the Vodafone 845 (A rebadged Huawei phone): http://www.gsmarena.com/vodafone_845-3212.php

I understand things will likely not work initially, but as a *rough* starting point, I though it's probably my best bet.

It's downloading everything now from Github, taking it's sweet time, over 6GB so far... I'm kinda following the Legend How-To for Froyo and adapting it for Gingerbread and Buzz:

http://wiki.cyanogenmod.com/index.php?title=Compile_CyanogenMod_for_Legend

Once I've done that, I guess I'll try and flash it, but is there anything to watch for? Naturally I don't have the Buzz / Wildfire so where it wants to pull the proprietary files it's gonna spit the dummy, however I'm presuming there's a good chance there's gonna be some other files that it'll need eventually which are specific to the 845...

Anyways, I guess if there's somebody who's able to slightly mentor me in this, I'd appreciate it! :D

Well, I just took the plunge, and after reading what feels like 100 forum threads I finally have my Comet rooted with a custom recovery image! biggrin.gif

In my research, I also came across some rooted ROM bases over at Simply Android (http://www.simply-android.com/discussion/763/rom-bases-for-huawei-ideos-u8150/p1). So, now that we have a collection of ROM bases and source code, is there someone willing to take on the project? I would, but I'm too busy at the moment (school, you know) to take on the task. sad.gif

Thanks in advance!

Thanks, I'll have a bit more of a look into it this afternoon perhaps! :)

You might actually want to start from a Pulse Mini port, if there is one available (I believe there is). A lot of the Pulse Mini stuff works on the Comet/Ideos, like AmonRA's custom recovery image with a few tweaks provided by UltraJack (on the XDA forums, I believe). From what I have read, the Pulse Mini is very similar to the Comet, although unfortunately the ClockworkMod recovery for it does NOT work on the Comet.

Thanks for taking an interest in this project, I'm sure all the Comet/Ideos users (myself included) will be eternally grateful to you if you can pull this off!

*bump*

Any progress on this?

My Comet is in the mail. I'm hoping to get some time to stuff CM7 onto it this weekend. I'll post back if I get anything working.

My Comet is in the mail. I'm hoping to get some time to stuff CM7 onto it this weekend. I'll post back if I get anything working.

Yey! Please keep us updated! ;)

Fantastic work! Thank you very much for your efforts mate, I can't wait for a useable release! :D

Am currently planning to start a project of porting over the U8150 to CM6.

Update (15-02-11)

-- Finally managed to port over ClockworkMod recovery, now making the U8150 ROM Manager compatible

[snip]

Yea, looks a little messy, I'll try fix up the resolution/size when i get time

-- Also got CyanogenMod 7 Gingerbread compiled, up and running on the U8150, (Will post screenshots)

Currently its the first build iv done on the U8150

[snip]

A lot of things don't work (wifi, auto rotation, sound...), but am building up on fixing those, once I make a practically useable build, i'll post up the ROM for tryouts

NOTE: Yet to test out Gingerbread's performance on the U8150, (~ on making a CM6 (Froyo) port instead)

OMG! The last thing I was expecting was CM7 on the U8150; I thought I would be lucky if someone ported CM6 to this phone! I guess I have once again underestimated the power of the Internet and the fantastic developers on it. wink.gif You, my friend, have just earned yourself the "Awesome Developer Who Cares About People Who Can't Afford Fancy Android Phones" award. cool.gif

Sign me up for the early beta testers list as soon as you get this usable (since, *gasp*, I actually need to use my phone as a phone [crazy idea, right? laugh.gif]).

BTW, n00b question rolleyes.gif : will this only work for one carrier, or will it work on any carrier (I'm on T-Mobile USA)?

Anyway, keep up the great work! I'm really looking forward to your next update! biggrin.gif

(P.S. If you need any help, feel free to PM me! wink.gif)

Any updates ErVidic? I'm sure you're busy with other things (life, for instance laugh.gif), but it doesn't hurt to ask!

very very cool...i hope to try it soon..

i love you :D waiting for cm7! ^^ (rdy for beta testing)