• Announcements

• PsychoI3oy

Unsupported devices & future versions   09/03/16

Unsupported devices posts outside the Device requests forum will be deleted without comment. Posts asking about/for future versions of CM will be locked and/or deleted.   We don't have a crystal ball; we don't know if someone will make CM $version for your deivce or if CM $version+1 will be made for your supported device.
windfold

The Kernel Is A .tar.md5?

4 posts in this topic

I'm attempting to follow the Install CM for jfltevzw instructions but I'm stuck on the first step: Download the kernel. The file referenced is SCH-I545_MD2_423399_Kernel.tar.md5. I see that it has a boot.img in it but whats with the md5 extension?

You need to extract it. A tar.md5 is like a zip file. You can use 7zip to extract it.

Thanks Bassmadrigal! I was just a bit skeeved by the extra .md5. This post from Stackoverflow states that a tar.md5 file is just a tar file with a checksum appended. It even gives bash script to do the checksum validation.

Hmm... that begs the question, does appending a checksum onto the distributed file give any security?

There's nothing wrong with doing it. It still allows the download to be validated. If the compressed tar is changed or if the download is corrupted, the md5 won't match.

But if the download is coming from somewhere nefarious, they could change that attached md5 to one that matches a modified zip containing bad code. But (not to make you a paranoid tinfoil hat wearing person, and hopefully not to give you any ideas), the CM wiki is able to be modified by normal users (as long as they create an account, so there is at least a small amount of accountability). They could point it to a different file and then change the md5 on the wiki to match the file.