bchsun

G2?

86 posts in this topic

Does cyanogen plan on getting a G2 and porting CM to it?

Does cyanogen plan on getting a G2 and porting CM to it?

Getting a G2: Yes-confirmed

Porting CM6: No answer yet

Getting a G2: Yes-confirmed

Porting CM6: No answer yet

I'm guessing that all has to to with the internal workings...

I'm guessing that all has to to with the internal workings...

I'd say we can be 99.9% sure cyanogen will port the mod to the G2, since he has confirmed he's getting one. Whether or not his G2 version is stable during Cm6's release cycle is another matter.

I'd say we can be 99.9% sure cyanogen will port the mod to the G2, since he has confirmed he's getting one. Whether or not his G2 version is stable during Cm6's release cycle is another matter.

I wonder how long someone like cyanogen could tolerate stock Android? :huh:

The G2 does have my eye, but I'm on contract with my Droid 1 for several more months. Its been a solid phone, with great ROMs, but I'm getting antzy watching the capabilities of the new phones pass me by.

My G1 has been a great phone, but have been looking for something for a while to replace it. The hardware has just reached its limits, but I have to have a physical keyboard as well as a screen upgrade being an important factor. The G2 might actually be worth swapping to a little after the turn of the year (hopefully when prices start coming down a little on it). I'm really hoping CM has been ported to the G2 by then, been running CM of one version or another since JesusFreak stopped releasing and have not been disappointed.

Can we have an HTC G2/Vision forum? just so stuff can be speculated on, results of any investigation into the system and tested exploits? Maybe some of the work/testing can get get done by those already with the phone.

Can we have an HTC G2/Vision forum? just so stuff can be speculated on, results of any investigation into the system and tested exploits? Maybe some of the work/testing can get get done by those already with the phone.

You will get a forum the same time all the other new devices will, when an official RC1 is ready.

Cyanogen already has a CM vendor setup for the G2, it will be a quick turn around for once the phone gets in his hands

My G1 has been a great phone, but have been looking for something for a while to replace it. The hardware has just reached its limits, but I have to have a physical keyboard as well as a screen upgrade being an important factor. The G2 might actually be worth swapping to a little after the turn of the year (hopefully when prices start coming down a little on it). I'm really hoping CM has been ported to the G2 by then, been running CM of one version or another since JesusFreak stopped releasing and have not been disappointed.

I'm the same way as you are. Love Android phones, and think my moms Vibrant is really slick. But, I have big thumbs and on screen keyboards dont work well for me. If it weren't for auto-correct on my mt3g, my text messages would be full of errors due to hitting the wrong button. A physical keyboard is VERY important for me when I look into getting a new phone. Hopefully she'll be off sick leave soon and I can get myself a G2 for free B)

I'm the same way as you are. Love Android phones, and think my moms Vibrant is really slick. But, I have big thumbs and on screen keyboards dont work well for me. If it weren't for auto-correct on my mt3g, my text messages would be full of errors due to hitting the wrong button. A physical keyboard is VERY important for me when I look into getting a new phone. Hopefully she'll be off sick leave soon and I can get myself a G2 for free B)

Mine is partially big fingers, and that I use my G1 like a small netbook. If some of the Android tablets would do calls too, I might have even been tempted by them.

I wonder how long someone like cyanogen could tolerate stock Android? :huh:

The G2 does have my eye, but I'm on contract with my Droid 1 for several more months. Its been a solid phone, with great ROMs, but I'm getting antzy watching the capabilities of the new phones pass me by.

Stock Android on the G2 is great and no reason to root for me. It already has all of 2.2. Even 2.5 wouldn't be a reason because it would get it. 3.0 is another story yet to be told. It's more than capable for everything we have now and more.

At least the Droid is more capable than a G1 and you can still hang in there.

Stock Android on the G2 is great and no reason to root for me. It already has all of 2.2. Even 2.5 wouldn't be a reason because it would get it. 3.0 is another story yet to be told. It's more than capable for everything we have now and more.

stock is definitely capable. unfortunately coming through a Service Provider it lost things like tethering, so its a Handicapped 'stock android.' i'll be slapping CM on it as soon as it is available for that reason alone.

the only android phone that i genuinely never felt the need to root/customize is Nexus One.

stock is definitely capable. unfortunately coming through a Service Provider it lost things like tethering, so its a Handicapped 'stock android.' i'll be slapping CM on it as soon as it is available for that reason alone.

the only android phone that i genuinely never felt the need to root/customize is Nexus One.

I agree N1 stock 2.2 was tolerable..

On the G2 not being able to tether and delete apps I will never us has me feeling like I am in a straight jacket.

The lack of notifiction light is what irks my father the most. I'm hope the power light can be converted to a notification light.

The lack of notifiction light is what irks my father the most. I'm hope the power light can be converted to a notification light.

Well, there is a notification light, but not in the same sense as the G1, Magic, or Nexus. There's a white led light around the trackpad that pulses when there's a notification.

out/target/product/vision/update-cm-6.1.0-RC0-vision-signed.zip - Already ready; now comes the wait for a permanent root and a custom recovery

B)

tep065 likes this

And I hope that when G2 is supported, Desire Z will be too! Apart from the differences in keyboard, I hope there is no other major hardware change!

out/target/product/vision/update-cm-6.1.0-RC0-vision-signed.zip - Already ready; now comes the wait for a permanent root and a custom recovery

B)

I'm heading to tmo to pick up a new phone now

His response to me about the g2:

I'm planning to have cm6 on it asap

I'm frustrated with the vibrant, very seriously considering purchasing a g2 and selling the vibe this week.

just got the G2 yesterday. would love to have the native wifi hotspot. new to modding on android (iphone 3gs previously), would cyanogen re-enable the vanilla 2.2 wifi hotspot functionality that tmobile disabled?

just got the G2 yesterday. would love to have the native wifi hotspot. new to modding on android (iphone 3gs previously), would cyanogen re-enable the vanilla 2.2 wifi hotspot functionality that tmobile disabled?

Depends on the drivers, but native or otherwise, tethering will be enabled

I've had my G2 less than 24 hours and before I got it I was thinking "why bother rooting/getting Cyanogen for this one? Its already got 2.2". Boy was I wrong.

Just a few things I've noticed:

-no LED notifications for SMS/email (nor settings to change them)

-SMS screen doesn't allow you to invert colors (white text on black background) <--- this one is driving me up the wall

-MyBackup Pro requires root

-Titanium Backup require root

-AdBlocker requires root <--- not having this is also driving me crazy

-no battery % display in taskbar

-can't remove Amazon MP3

-can't remove Twitter

-can't remove Photobucket

Thats just the things I've wanted to do with the phone so far that I can't. I'm definitely all about getting Cyanogen back on once the port is ready.

Well, there is a notification light, but not in the same sense as the G1, Magic, or Nexus. There's a white led light around the trackpad that pulses when there's a notification.

Thats what I thought as well, but I've tested it with missed calls and sms, I've got no LED action at all. There's LED action for plugged in/charging (orange) and plugged in/fully charged (green) but no LED around the trackpad or up top for missed call/sms/email/vmail. No settings that I can find to change it either......the settings menu seems like a ghost town compared to CM

Edited by Xeroproject

i just hope we can keep the stock launcher i dont want adw on this device at all =(

Xeroproject likes this

i just hope we can keep the stock launcher i dont want adw on this device at all =(

Same. Personally, I'd like to see less of a trend towards including paid programs on the market overall. Understandably, its Cyan & Co's mod, and its up to them, but I'm not comfortable with the trend of including free versions that are extremely limited on the mod by default. ADW, ClockWork, and such are good programs. I actually bought the full version of LauncherPro myself, just out of preference. What I'm not so comfortable with is cyanogen turning into an advertisement platform of sorts.

I think largely it actually hurts the programs in the long run, as rather than seeing "hey check out ADW Launcher, its pretty sweet compared to the stock launcher" threads from advocates of the program, we tend to see more "how the heck do I remove ADW Launcher, I hate it and want to go back to stock/this alternative launcher I prefer" from detractors. It only sets the programs up for negative press by forcing users to opt-out rather than to opt-in. Of course I guess that has to be weighed against the larger exposure the programs get by actually being included on cyanogenmod in the first place, so who knows.

Obviously I'm not a coder, I am a donator for whatever whats worth (and I'm sure I owe the guys more this coming paycheck). I don't feel like dropping some money in the hat gives me any sort of rights. Thats just how I feel. Nothing negative on any of those programs.