• Announcements

• PsychoI3oy

Unsupported devices & future versions   09/03/16

Unsupported devices posts outside the Device requests forum will be deleted without comment. Posts asking about/for future versions of CM will be locked and/or deleted.   We don't have a crystal ball; we don't know if someone will make CM $version for your deivce or if CM $version+1 will be made for your supported device.
Androidarian

Samsung Rugby anyone?

34 posts in this topic

Does anyone know about this device? I would love to have a rugged IP68 device running our favorite Android. I would even fund the porting if it's possible.

Thanks

I have an update on this device:

This is a Samsung Galaxy Smart from ATT. I couldn't get it into recovery mode (kinda like Lindsay Lohan). I tried and tried by following the instructions for using the key sequences. It didn't work, going to a blank screen.

It turns out that it was going into recovery mode, but the recovery mode software that shipped somehow didn't have the right driver for the screen display. I don't know why but that's what happened because I could easily get into recovery from ADB, by adb reboot recovery.

Then the next question was, could I flash Cyanogen on that? Fortunately flashing Cyanogen through only ADB shell is easy. So I did it:

adb push ~/Downloads/update-cm-9-20120524-SNAPSHOT-ancora-alpha3-signed.zip /cache/recovery/
4663 KB/s (126487434 bytes in 26.488s)[/CODE]

You can see I'm using the Samsung Galaxy W CM9 alpha3 build. I believe the Rugby is basically the same as the Galaxy W, so I thought to try it.

After putting the zip into the cache partition, flashing it is simple:

Make sure you're in recovery. Easiest way is:

[CODE]
adb reboot recovery
[/CODE]

Then set up recovery to run the zip file:

[CODE]adb shell[/CODE]

You should see the recovery prompt, like this:

[CODE]~ # [/CODE]

From that, save a command to run next time recovery starts. Use this exactly, from the adb recovery shell prompt:

[CODE]echo '--update_package=/cache/recovery/update-cm-9-20120524-SNAPSHOT-ancora-alpha3-signed.zip' > /cache/recovery/command[/CODE]

Then reboot into recovery again and it will run that command:

[CODE]adb reboot recovery[/CODE]

Nothing shows up on the screen; their built-in recovery image has some problem with the video driver.

So what's the result?

Well, it installs just fine. I can post log files if anyone needs to see it.

Unfortunately there's also a problem with the video driver for this device, so while CM9 installs and boots just fine, there is no display. I do have root and so I could flash ClockworkMod recovery using adb, which would be nice, but it won't change anything about the video problem within CM9.

If anyone has some suggestions please let me know. Also I'm happy to test any additional builds as needed.

I have a "headless phone" as it were. If I could figure out how to dial over ADB it would be perfect!

Edited by Androidarian

I just installed the CM 9 alpha 4 for the Galaxy W on the Rugby:

ab169554be0c976278aedada268cb824 update-cm-9-20120606-SNAPSHOT-ancora-alpha4-signed.zip

Same result. It installs fine but the screen doesn't display anything.

Please let me know if you get anywhere with this!

I had the Rugby II (original flip), and want to upgrade to Rugby Smart next month... but am trying to find some way to get Cyano on there. If nothing else, I'll try to join on the porting effort.

Thanks!

Please let me know if you get anywhere with this!

I had the Rugby II (original flip), and want to upgrade to Rugby Smart next month... but am trying to find some way to get Cyano on there. If nothing else, I'll try to join on the porting effort.

I tried some more things and ended up bricking it. If anyone else makes more progress I'll buy another and try again. I'm sure it's very very close. The only thing it needs is to add support for the OLED which shouldn't be difficult. Unfortunately I don't know how to do that.

I started working on CM9 for the Rugby Smart recently and I've made some progress.

I have backups made of each of the devices partitions, I found a version of ODIN that recognizes the device in download mode, got ClockWork Recovery 6.0.1.1 working and a few other bits. I also built the Galaxy W sources which I plan on using as the basis for my Rugby work. I will be starting a Rugby specific version of CM once I get ODIN images setup and working. I will be releasing a super post on XDA detailing what I have thus far in the coming days.

In case anyone is still tracking CM specific progress, I've made some with CM9 but am stuck at building an updated kernel for the device. Apparently the board type for the Rugby Smart is different than ancora which is used by the Galaxy W. I will be posting back once I have a workable kernel.

I have successfully built a kernel that boots the Rugby including a working display. That is about it though. The device restarts about 60 seconds after booting. I will be updating the XDA thread I posted earlier in this thread with CM9 specific progress.

And of course: A teaser

IMG_20120822_165754.jpg

Edited by kemonine96

That is great news! Let me know if I can do anything to help (test). As I said, I fully bricked my Rugby but I'm going to buy another.

That is great news! Let me know if I can do anything to help (test). As I said, I fully bricked my Rugby but I'm going to buy another.

Hard brick in what sense? While I was putting my ODIN images together I did a pretty good number on the device. I was able to put it into download mode (Vol Dn + Power On) despite my efforts to trash the varoius partitions. If you can get into download mode my ODIN images (link above for the XDA thread) should be able to bring yours back from the dead.

If you can get into download mode but the ODIN images I have posted don't fix boot, let me know and I can work with you on adding the necessary partitions to the ODIN image and hopefully bring it back from the mostly dead.

Hard brick in what sense?

In the sense of, it's as useful as a brick!

If you can get into download mode my ODIN images (link above for the XDA thread) should be able to bring yours back from the dead.

It's worse than that. It's dead, Jim! I can't get to download mode. This goes to show, it is possible to completely brick one of these things if you do the wrong thing to it.

Any progress ICS for the Rugby? I'll buy another one to test this. Thanks.

Edited by Androidarian

In the sense of, it's as useful as a brick!

It's worse than that. It's dead, Jim! I can't get to download mode. This goes to show, it is possible to completely brick one of these things if you do the wrong thing to it.

Bummer, the Samsungs are notoriously difficult to brick. Stinks you ran afoul of a real brick :(

Any progress ICS for the Rugby? I'll buy another one to test this. Thanks.

I managed to lose the change that got the LCD and touchscreen "mostly" working in CM9. I am also in the middle of busy season at work (~60hr work weeks). I plan to resume once I get out of the busy season. I may take a shot at porting CM7 over since it can re-use the kernel publised by ATT to at least get something. A few others have been in contact with me and are starting the process of getting a CM9 kernel working for the device. If someone does get a CM9 or CM10 kernel I'm willing to do any testing or mirroring that might be needed. I can also help out some with intgration work and builds.

I published my sources on github, PM me if you are interested in a link. I managed to get pretty far: stable boot, most things looking crash free in adb, but the LCD and touchscreen drivers were causing me nothing but grief in the end.

Looks like Motorhead1991 on XDA has been making some serious headway with the Rugby. He has managed to get a bootable AOSP, custom stock kernel, and some other tweaks. Thanks to his help I've made a little more progress with CM9. Right now there is stable boot, working physical keys and a working touchscreen for CM9. There is a brightness issue with the CM9 port which I have not figured out yet. On the plus side, work is being done though progress is semi-slow.

Like kemonine 96 just said, we have made serious headway on this project. Here's a list of current and crucial issues:

-No radio response at all (killing wifi and bluetooth as well)

-No light sensor support yet (may need the right drivers)

-No rotation sensor support (same as light sensor)

-No external audio (haven't tried headphones yet, may also be a driver issue)

Up to this point, both of us have booting versions of ICS. I'm working on a near complete AOKP based port, whereas kemo is building directly from source. Once AOKP is going, CM9 will be in the spotlight.

Edited by Motorhead1991

That is great! Let me know when I should test. I'm buying another one to replace the one I bricked.

That is great! Let me know when I should test. I'm buying another one to replace the one I bricked.

You can test at pretty much any time, just be sure to pull a nandroid backup before testing ;)

Motorhead and I have been flipping back and forth between our customized stock's as well as CM9 / AOSP pretty freely. Right now we are trying to get some of the bigger issues addressed, but it is not an easy task.

At the moment the biggest problem is with the cell connection. It looks like we have the GSM antenna device showing up under /dev (not 100% sure, I've not had time to sit down and really dig deep) and for some reason the system is not communicating with it at all. Could definitely use some help with this particular item.

Some the other items like wifi and bluetooth look pretty straight forward but I've been focused on the modem problem.

Yep, you are welcome to help us in testing anytime. Come join the discussion in the Superthread mentioned earlier or on the IRC channel:

server- irc.androidirc.com

channel- rugby-smart

Edited by Motorhead1991

In the essence of making a point, I have pictures :)

IMG_20120922_115336.jpg

IMG_20120922_115326.jpg

Oddly enough, it proves our radio problem as well.

Edited by Motorhead1991

This is cool! I just got a replacement for the one I bricked, so I've got a brand-new Rugby ready for abuse. Is there a download link I should use? I can't do much other than be your tester.

This is cool! I just got a replacement for the one I bricked, so I've got a brand-new Rugby ready for abuse. Is there a download link I should use? I can't do much other than be your tester.

Right now it is a compile from source only. The radio interface appears broken :(

However, we could use some help if you have the latest baseband / build. The latest is UCLH4. You will see the version under Settings -> About Phone. Can you post back with the version you have? We need help extracting the latest updates from AT&T for packaging and to see if there are some updated bits we can yank out of the stock ROM to address the radio issue.

If you are willing and have the latest version of stock let me know and I can walk you through everything.

However, we could use some help if you have the latest baseband / build.

I'll help any way I can.

The latest is UCLH4.

Mine says Gingerbread.UCLA4. Yes, UCLA, not UCLH. I also did "check for updates" and there wasn't any.

We need help extracting the latest updates from AT&T for packaging and to see if there are some updated bits we can yank out of the stock ROM to address the radio issue.

If you are willing and have the latest version of stock let me know and I can walk you through everything.

Sure, happy to do anything that will help, just let me know.

By the way, testing out this stock phone makes me remember how awful carrier builds are. Loaded with spyware I can't delete.

Thanks!

Edited by Androidarian

I'll help any way I can.

I think the biggest help we need right now is someone with a clean version of the UCLH update so we can get our hands on the updated system files and the like. I'm having a rough time getting my hands on an updated device. Mine failed and my fiancee won't let me near her phone for testing :P

Mine says Gingerbread.UCLA4. Yes, UCLA, not UCLH. I also did "check for updates" and there wasn't any.

Try setting your clock ahead or back 24-48 hours. The update didn't surface for me until I fiddled about with my clock settings. Also, if it fails and you want to retry it may throw up a timer saying you have to wait to re-try. If you set the clock ahead it will bypass the timeout.

One thing: the update applies patches to the kernel image, baseband and system partitions from what I was able to gather. You will want these three areas of the device as close to stock as possible to get the full update applied. I managed to get my baseband updated, but I need more from the system partition to fully validate some of my theories on why the antenna doesn't work currently in CM9.

See above ;)

By the way, testing out this stock phone makes me remember how awful carrier builds are. Loaded with spyware I can't delete.

Yeah, I really disliked what ATT did to the phone firmware wise. They loaded it up with all kinds of crap that really bogs down the device. I have some UCLA ODIN images up on XDA, but I really want to get them bumped to the new firmware version and take a look inside what ATT did as part of the update for the base system partition.

I'll help any way I can.

Thanks!

You really shouldn't say things like that ;). Anyways, I'm glad to hear another person is in on the situation we have going on here.

Thanks to the cyanogenmod irc channels I managed to figure out how to debug and fix the baseband / ril / radio issue we were having with CM9 on the rugby smart. I also managed to fix the screen brightness issue that was occurring. Motorhead and I were able to successfully send text messages. Dialing works, but there is no in-call audio currently and I have no idea if the microphone works, but it at least dials and receives calls.

The code is up on github for the daring. An alpha will be released once phone calls are working with audio and microphone. Don't ask, I won't post a build until those are working.

To all still following the thread: motorhead made some progress with audio and things are very close to popping free. Thanks to motorheads discoveries things should move along very quickly and an alpha dropping very soon.