• Announcements

• PsychoI3oy

Unsupported devices & future versions   09/03/16

Unsupported devices posts outside the Device requests forum will be deleted without comment. Posts asking about/for future versions of CM will be locked and/or deleted.   We don't have a crystal ball; we don't know if someone will make CM $version for your deivce or if CM $version+1 will be made for your supported device.
gbmungan

Android Market Apps Not Compatible with Nook Color with CyanogenMod 7 Installed

21 posts in this topic

I recently installed CyanogenMod 7(update-cm-7.0.3-encore-signed.zip) on my Nook Color with the hope that I might be able to run the same apps that I am able to run on my HTC Inspire 4G smart phone. At the same time, I installed Google apps (gapps-gb-20110613-signed.zip) on my Nook Color. According to the information I was able to get from my Nook Color and my HTC phone, both are running Android ver 2.3.3. However, many of the apps that I was able to download and run, with no difficulty on my HTC phone, can not be downloaded to my Nook Color. The message, "Your device is not compatible with this item", is displayed when I attempt to download to my Nook Color. This has happened for apps such as, Amazon Kindle, Amazon App Store, Battery Dr, WiFi Analyzer, Convert Pad, Pageonce Money and Bills, BOA mobile banking, USAA mobile and others. I have been able to successfully download some apps with no problem. However, in some cases, an app may start to download, and then display the message, "Package File is invalid". Under Content Filtering, for Market, I have no restrictions. At this point I am frustrated as what I must do to be able to download the apps that I would like. Is what I am experiencing what I should expect, or is there something else that I need to do to make the downloading of all apps possible?

Search around a bit. It's a common problem, and there are many posts on how to deal with it. It seems to be less of an issue with recent nightly builds, if you're willing to give one a try.

A common issue... with numerous solutions floating around. I'd recommend that you

1. install a recent nightly build >= #200
  2. use gapps-gb-20110828-signed.zip

Enjoy! For details, please read the forum. Thanks.

eferon and meteorrock like this

Thanks bobstro and inportb for the suggestions. Based on a thread I read earlier, I had downloaded and installed gapps-gb-20110828-signed.zip. I got the same results. To install a nightly build I assume that I download the zip file and then install it via Clockwork Recovery. Is this correct?

If you are running CM7 off an SD card, download a recent nightly (200 or above) and place it in the boot partition of the card. It will install when you reboot. If running CM7 off the eMMC, save yourself the effort and install ROM Manager and then use it to download and install nightlies. You will need a non bootable SD card inserted to use ROM Manager.

I installed the nightly cm-encore-full-201.zip, and along with gapps-gb-20110828-signed.zip, I was able to get all apps that I needed to download from Market. As a bonus, I also noticed that a problem I had been having with powering off the NC was also corrected. In the past when I pressed Power Off, within a few seconds it would appear to lock up. To complete the power off it would be necessary to hold the power button for about an additional five seconds, until the screen went dark. Now when I press Power Off, within a few seconds the NC color actually powers off, and the screen goes dark.

Thanks to this forum for all of the help My Nook Color is now working like a small android tablet, the way I had hoped it would.

If you are running CM7 off an SD card, download a recent nightly (200 or above) and place it in the boot partition of the card. It will install when you reboot. If running CM7 off the eMMC, save yourself the effort and install ROM Manager and then use it to download and install nightlies. You will need a non bootable SD card inserted to use ROM Manager.

Sorry, in advance, for the simplicity of this question: I can't download the nook color app so I can downlaod my books, etc. I presume that this solution will fix this and any other app issues? where do I find ROM Manager and can you point me in the direction of how to use? Thanks.

Sorry, in advance, for the simplicity of this question: I can't download the nook color app so I can downlaod my books, etc. I presume that this solution will fix this and any other app issues? where do I find ROM Manager and can you point me in the direction of how to use? Thanks.

See my response to your other post.

Can anyone tell me where to get adobe flash 10.3 so I can run Hulu? Ran into dead ends going to adobe.

Can anyone tell me where to get adobe flash 10.3 so I can run Hulu? Ran into dead ends going to adobe.

Did you try the Market?

-MH

Yes, no luck. Anyone know why Youtube won't work? Opens but won't play videos. Is there a fix? Thanks.

Stop it and switch from HD to a lower resolution.

Does'nt even start playing. Went to settings and unchecked high quality which is the only place I see to change resolution

Does'nt even start playing. Went to settings and unchecked high quality which is the only place I see to change resolution

That is the only fix I have seen so far. Let's hope for an app upgrade.....

I am still unable to install many apps (google maps, nook app, and more) with the latest experimental, nightly 177, nightly 211, and gapps-gb-20110828. Does anyone have any ideas?

Did you go into the market app and clear data/cache? Should be working with 211.....

Hi, I couldn't Install google maps, the reason was: "is not available in your country", I've installed MarketEnabler app which fixed my problem. perhaps It might help you.

I installed the nightly cm-encore-full-201.zip, and along with gapps-gb-20110828-signed.zip, I was able to get all apps that I needed to download from Market. As a bonus, I also noticed that a problem I had been having with powering off the NC was also corrected. In the past when I pressed Power Off, within a few seconds it would appear to lock up. To complete the power off it would be necessary to hold the power button for about an additional five seconds, until the screen went dark. Now when I press Power Off, within a few seconds the NC color actually powers off, and the screen goes dark.

Thanks to this forum for all of the help My Nook Color is now working like a small android tablet, the way I had hoped it would.

Tried all the above and also went into settings/applications/market/ and cleared the cache. Still no luck: Kindle, Nook, Youtube all show "not compatible with your device" -- other apps will install, but not the ones I want. Any suggestions?

Tried all the above and also went into settings/applications/market/ and cleared the cache. Still no luck: Kindle, Nook, Youtube all show "not compatible with your device" -- other apps will install, but not the ones I want. Any suggestions?

Check thread here on that. http://forum.cyanoge...kage-available/

Update your .gapps file to the latest and update cyangenmod to the latest stable to get your nook up to date and compatible with all apps on the android market.

Thank you. I think I've done all that, but, since I am very new at all this, I may have made an error in updating. (my grandson did the rooting for me and mailed the nook color back to me). I downloaded both the files you described (the mod is cm_encore_full-227, both files are zip files) and copied them to the root directory of my micro sd card, then inserted the card in the nook and started it. Once the files loaded and I had the screen with the list of actions, with "reboot" at the top of the list highlighted, I removed the card and rebooted the nook. I also went into settings/market and cleared the cache. Perhaps this was not the correct procedure? Please excuse my lack of experience, and I appreciate your expert advice. Thanks again.

Just flash the .gapps-gb-20110828-signed.zip file in that link in the above box the same way you did your nightly on his nook. Both .zips flash to your card the same way. There are lots of ways to do that.

If you used Clockworkmod (CWM) sitting on another boot card just move the .gapps file to the root of your card and rename it to an update.zip , just input the update part and leave the .zip part, CM sees it as a .zip already. Otherwords make sure its not named update.zip.zip. You do not type in the .zip part. You ONLY rename the .gapps file if you are using CWM. If you are using manual recovery leave the name intact.

There is no reason to dismount your micro card with Cyanogenmod on it to do these procedures, unless its a bootable Clockworkmod card you are using to mount your .gapps.

Others just put the .gapps file onto the root of their card and use manual recovery to mount thier .gapps. That is how I use to do it when I ran CM off of a microcard, where I did the N and power button hold in combo until the stock nook ROMs splash screen appeared, the READ FOREVER or TOUCH THE FUTURE OF READING screen, then released. At that point I would be into the linux screen that had that penguin emblem in it and waited for the linux screen to mount the files and reboot the nook. This youtube channel has 5 parts on how that is done on the nook if you would like to watch videos on how to do that. http://www.youtube.c...u/2/pld-shVw1AE More info below. She uses the CM 7.0.3 in these videoes but I suspect any nightly or stable would work the same way.

If you are using CWM to mount your .gapps just leave the wipe dalvik cache marked as it is on default and go ahead and mount your .gapps, then reboot. Here is a guide on this forum on how that is done. http://forum.cyanoge...future-version/

You will know you have mounted your .gapps correctly on reboot of your nook, on reboot with your nook already connected to a wi fi hotspot, you will get an android wizard startup screen to help you get connected with the android market. Make sure to have your gmail and password ready that you did online to access the android market, gmail is free.

I hope this helps. Those youtube videos on that first link I gave you helped me alot on my first time rooting my nook and her videos are the most simple and straightforward videos I have found on youtube for me and others. Mounting your .gapps will be the same as how he went through to mount CM onto the card.