puddlesyj

Samsung Admire (SCH-R720)

102 posts in this topic

On the new rom?

on the stock rom, this just came out a few days ago so not sure if theyll be able to integrate it in a new rom

Edited by selector

O ok I see is there a link fire the flash

in the video description

since the esteem is a bit out of my price range at the moment I will probably get the admire so its nice to see that there is a rom being worked on for it :)

I grabbed the post from other forum:

=============================================================================================================

[DEV] ClockworkMod Recovery and CyanogenMod 7.1 on the Samsung Admire

Hello everyone,

I am currently working on porting ClockworkMod recovery as well as CyanogenMod to the Samsung Admire.

I pretty much have ClockworkMod fully working -- I only have a few minor bugs to work out. You can check out a preview of it here: unforgivendevelopment.com/2011/11Se/06/update-samsung-admire-progress/

I am also working on CyanogenMod for the Admire, however, progress here is a little slower.

Currently working:

- Bluetooth

- 3D Acceleration

- WiFi (for the most part, small bugs remain)

- Accelerometer

- Proximity Sensor

- Sound

- Perhaps some things I forgot

Possibly working:

- Radio interface layer (The cell phone "sees" the Metro PCS network. Signal levels are reported incorrectly. I do not have Metro PCS service to test further.)

Not working:

- GPS

- Camera

- Battery indicator

- Light sensor (auto-brightness)

- Other things I may have forgotten

I will be releasing a teaser video of CyanogenMod running on the device within the next few days. You can follow progress at my website, unforgivendevelopment.com , @unforgivendev and/or @unforgiven512 on Twitter

Any donations help. This is not my full time job. I have a wife and a kid to feed.

Regarding this: First and foremost, I can not afford to activate a month of Metro PCS service to ensure calling, SMS/MMS, and data work. This will take approximately $50 to do. Secondly, I work full time (but I do have a flexible schedule). For every $10 donated, I will dedicate 1 uninterrupted hour of work on this project, and nothing other than this project. I need to ensure my family has food on the table and a roof over their heads.

Without donations, this project may take some time. If I receive donations, and I am paid to do the work, I can dedicate my time to the project, and it will get done significantly faster.

If you would be so kind to donate, please send it via PayPal to [email protected] -- I appreciate each and every penny. And remember, donations == dedicated Admire-only development time.

Thanks everyone, and keep an eye on the site for updates!

NOTE: This is my first post on this forum. If you'd like to check into some of my past work, feel free to check out my profile over at XDA-Developers (where they, unfortunately, do not have an Admire forum. So I think I'm going to make this my home for Admire development) user_online.gif

Last edited by unforgiven512; Yesterday at 11:49 PM. Reason: Added note

Update:

Well I figured I'd give you guys an update, so you know what's going on.

I'm very, very close to an official release of ClockworkMod recovery. I am working on one last bug. I am going to try to get together a deodexed, rooted, stock ROM (with my custom kernel) to go along with the CWM release, so people can start hacking away at it.

My custom kernel: So far, I have not made too many changes. The main thing that I have done with the kernel is added ext4 support, which allows you to convert your partitions from RFS to ext4, which performs far, far better.

A status update on the CyanogenMod front. I have mostly everything working, however, I am having massive problems with the RIL (radio interface layer). Samsung's CDMA RIL doesn't support some of the standard RIL functions, which is confusing the stock Java RIL, causing com.android.phone to crash repeatedly with a NullPointerException. The phone (seems) to work fine "thinking" it's a GSM device. But, it's not a GSM device. So when I force it into CDMA mode, I get the error. Once I get this tackled, it should be a relatively easy path to release. Fix libcamera, code up a liblights (and proper support for LED notifications, hooked into CM's notification system), and a couple other minor things.

But yeah, be on the lookout. I will probably be releasing a video of progress soon for you guys.

Thank you for your support, everyone.

(By the way, I am the only developer, currently. I have been receiving some small assistance from others, but I am doing the good majority of the work here.)

KB0SDQ likes this

Update:

Thanks very much for posting the update.

Need help.

My phone can't distinguish between being plugged into a USB port or the

Charger.

What can I do to correct this?

Check your cord. I had that same problem until I got a new usb cord.

I tried that. I have 2 cords.

Somehow this still didn't help.

But thanks for the advice.

Ok. I fixed the problem.

All I had to do was install the Samsung Indulge

indulge on my computer.

Thanks for posting the link puddlesyj.

Yea does look like a speedbump as you called it. But he has to take care of momma and the baby family is first. Do not worry I am sure the admire project will happen.

just read the update well that is more then understandable, I also plan to shoot him another $10 his way :)

anyone else having issues accessing his site?

ya I hope everything is going alright with him and his family, would be nice to get a small update on things, Im not in a rush for this so I understand about family coming first.

Got a stock Admire with Gingerbread 2.3.4.... And while I understand the necessity to root the device, wtf is so special about this mod you folks are asking for that you can't find yourself elsewhere? I rooted my device through a Frankenstein-like method of patching different techniques together to get them to work.... and I've deleted a bunch of crap from it.... but seriously? I don't give a damn about the mod unless it can do things similar to the iOS jailbreaks for the iPhone, such as getting me free apps and allowing me to COMPLETELY mod the device, overclock the phone's cpu, and try to get as much out of this p.o.s. that I can.... :ph34r:

As for the dev, dude seems to have a lot of things on his plate, and I can dig it. Hope the guy gets it all sorted out... Family over fun is the motto of real dads everywhere.... Didn't want to sound all heartless and whatnot above, either. I wasn't talking crap or anything, I'm just not sure why I should choose this dude's mod over some other dude's mod, or my own mods that I haven't sat down and coded yet. Someone feel like giving me the cyanogenmod sales pitch, so to speak?

Has there been a form of CWM released for the phone anywhere?

publicly? no.. my step brother bought an admire and i made him a custom rom for it, (as in it was themed for him and all of my usual shabby tweaks ;) )

unfortunately less than 2 days later he did something stupid to it.. had to use unforgivens cwm to fix it. so i can assure you its real and its coming :P

How can I get the CWM? If it hasn't been publicly released.