RazvanD

What is ODIN

10 posts in this topic

Just found out about this program "Odin" which can flash android phones or sort of. Can anyone here give me some more accurate information on what does this program do and if I can use it with my Nexus S 2.3.4?

Odin is the Samsung software used to update Samsung phones. I don't think it works with any other devices other than official Samsungs (I don't even think it works with the Nexus S).

That's the thing...Nexus S is a Samsung branded phone but you may be right..this phone is down the middle range between Google and Samsung. Who assumes its responsibility for this phone? Samsung..Google?

With the Nexus One, you used to have to call google who would then kinda act like a triage center. If they deemed it hardware related, they would then forward you to HTC. Now you just call HTC since google discontinued selling it.

But Odin is used for updating the software in Samsung phones, and AFAIK, the NS can do OTA updates which the rest of the Samsungs can't, so I wouldn't see a reason for the NS to be supported by Odin.

When Google released 2.3.4 for NS my phone didn't automatically update OTA. I performed the update manually.

Through odin?

Galaxy S phones can and have gotten OTA updates. Galaxy S phones and the Nexus S can use Odin.

Odin is the king of Asgard B)

Galaxy S phones can and have gotten OTA updates. Galaxy S phones and the Nexus S can use Odin.

Maybe it is just a Germany thing, because one of my coworkers could only get his update to Froyo through Odin. And good to know about the NS. B)

Maybe it is just a Germany thing, because one of my coworkers could only get his update to Froyo through Odin. And good to know about the NS. B)

Froyo came over their update program called Kies, the update to 2.1 was OTA. My guess is they did it because so many dumb ass people tried to update their custom rom and bricked their phones.