Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BEan

What is emmc used for?

5 posts in this topic

I know this will make me sound like a noob: What is the emmc partition and what can I do with it? How can I access it? I haven't had my Nook color for long and I just saw this partition for the first time today. Is there a way to re partition the nook so I can combine the 5gb emmc with the internal storage?

I know this will make me sound like a noob: What is the emmc partition and what can I do with it? How can I access it? I haven't had my Nook color for long and I just saw this partition for the first time today. Is there a way to re partition the nook so I can combine the 5gb emmc with the internal storage?

Unless I'm mistaken, emmc is your internal storage. Wikipedia has a little information.

Unless I'm mistaken, emmc is your internal storage. Wikipedia has a little information.

the emmc is the internal storage card, akin to a hard drive in some ways. There is a partition in CM7 called "/emmc" which just refers to that portion of the emmc which isn't being used by the basic cm7 install and is essentially your space to put whatever you like-- media, extraneous files. Unlike the /sdcard partition, which can be used for the same purpose, the /emmc partition is not removable.

Hope this helps

So far the only thing I've used it for is backing up my ebooks, although there was no reason I needed to do this (was just because Calibre automatically put them there). I don't put very many mp3's or videos on my nook, so I don't know if I'll ever use it for anything more, but it's nice to know it's there, increasing my 8gig SD card to 13.

You can mount it like a SD card: Settings > Storage > Additional storage: /mnt/emmc > Mount SD card