• Announcements

• PsychoI3oy

Unsupported devices & future versions   09/03/16

Unsupported devices posts outside the Device requests forum will be deleted without comment. Posts asking about/for future versions of CM will be locked and/or deleted.   We don't have a crystal ball; we don't know if someone will make CM $version for your deivce or if CM $version+1 will be made for your supported device.
ctknow

Wifi not working on Stable Mod

40 posts in this topic

Starting yesterday, my WIFI simply just stopped working. On occasion, it says "connecting...", but after a few seconds, it always ends up with "disconnected". Under the list of WiFi networks, no live networks are being identified. Only those which I previously entered manually show up, but even those say "Not in range".

Whatever is the real cause, the system appears as if the wifi was just turned off, or there literally are no networks (definitely neither of which is the case). Or simply that the wifi card can't be accessed.

I know the wifi works, because I tried an older bootable uSD card, and it works when I remove the uSD card and boot into Nook.

What I've tried:

- toggled the wifi on/off

- restarted

- reinstalled RC4, didn't work, reinstalled Stable version

Without wifi, the tablet is next to useless.

Anybody got any ideas?

Thanks!

I'm having the same problem on my NC. I've tried the same steps as ctknow, even trying deleting all remembered networks and readding. No WiFi activity detected.

I had a similar problem. Wifi suddenly couldn't find any access points. It was like the antenna was internally disconnected. It was enabled, and seemed to work, just couldn't find anything. I deleted all my saved access points, and it sprung back to life. A day later, the same thing happened. This time, I only had to delete a few access points until it started working. Second time around, I was able to restore from a backup I made the day before. It would be nice if there was a real fix for this, but backups seem to be a viable solution so far. Just hope this doesn't happen every day.

It's problems like this that really make me regret that 63 character WPA key...

Same here. I've tried to bounce the wifi from the toggle switch in the notification bar drop down, but I can never get it come back. My current best solution is to go all the way into the settings and shut off the wifi there. Let it sit for a few minutes and then bring it back up. It is a really weird error after it worked flawlessly in a hotel, at work, and in another residence -- although both of those other locations are wide open, mine is WPA2.

I wouldn't call this an actual fix, but it works for me. I just flashed the stable mod and was having the connectivity issues you guys were talking about. Rebooting and forgetting my network helped get me connected, but signal was still poor even though my router sits on my desk where I was using my nook. Rebooting did not help that. I installed wifi manager from the app market and it seems to have resolved the poor signal issue. After installing the wifi manager, I noticed the signal strength was full in the wifi manager, but still poor on nook wifi status. So I disabled/enabled wifi using wifi manager and the nook wifi icon finally recognized full strength and I connected no problem. Sooooooo, yep.

I had the same problem after the 7.0.2 upgrade. After that I just lost my patience trying to fix the wifi off/on problem so I restored to my very stable 7.0 backup and I think I will leave it there for a while until I can see some more positive comments about the build.

My problem is that everything was going swell on 7.0.0, but when I flashed 7.0.2 the WiFi became really inconsistent. It said that I was connected, but wouldn't load any web pages or the market. So I flashed my backup of 7.0.0 and now the problem is still occurring. It'll say I'm connected but actual internet will last only a few seconds, before just dying out.

I'm having the exact same problem. What's really strange is that if I reboot my nook into stock, it still won't connect properly. Just like in CM7, it'll say connected but obviously isn't.

This implies that the driver is doing something to the wifi hardware.

I can't even ping the router from a terminal on the nook.

Even stranger, if I reboot my ROUTER it will start working again. For a while. Then it will stop. The obvious conclusion here is that it's a router issue. The problem is, no other devices (and the family has quite a few computers, phones, video games, etc) are having an issue connecting to my router. My nook didn't have this issue at all until I upgraded. It's very odd.

Getting the same wifi issue. I have the HTC Aria with CM 7.0.2. Just put it on yesterday. Everything has gone smooth other than the wifi bug. If I power cycle my router then it will connect for a while, but eventually will drop. If I have it connected and restart the phone then it will not connect without power cycling my router. Rather annoying bug for home use. Hope to hear of a fix if someone comes across one.

I found a work around that worked for me.

In trying to find a solution I went back to CyanogenMod-7.0.0-encore I cannot say if this will work for other versions as I have not tried it.

First you need to know the IP range your router assigns. This can be found in your router setup page, usually under DNS settings. Default ranges may be something like 192.168.1.1 - 192.168.1.100

You also need to know the address of your router, usually the IP you enter to get to the router settings.

1. Once you know the IP range your router assigns, on your nook goto SETTINGS - WIRELESS AND NETWORKS - WIFI SETTINGS

2. Tap the menu button and select ADVANCED

3. tick STATIC IP

4. Enter a IP address within the range your router assigns (use a higher one to avoid conflicts)

5. Enter the GATEWAY - use your routers IP address on your network

6. Enter NETMASK - usually 255.255.255.0

7. Enter DNS1 - use your routers IP address again.

That worked for me.

To use a hotspot other than your home router, you'll probably need to change these settings to untick static IP.

I had the same problem. When I updated from the stable 7.0 to anything above I kept getting wifi issues. I would connect and get some packets sent for maybe a couple of seconds then the whole wifi would stop working. It looked as if it was still connected and I would be able to ping stuff but I think any request that had a lot of info to receive was not working.

I know there is a lot of solutions but this is what solved it for me.

First off I used the tether on my phone to see if it had the same issue but lo and behold it worked fine. So I had a look at my router settings and did some messing around.

I was using WPA2-TKIP as my form of encryption and my password size was around 30 chars. I changed this to WPA2-AES with the same password and it worked perfect.

I also changed the my router to use G instead of B-G but I'm not sure if this was a problem.

I hope this works for some of you.

Issue fixed in 7.0.3 for me! Thanks for the helpful replies.

I wish 7.0.3 fixed it for me. Still having weird wifi issues, although it seems to completely freak out less often. Wifi also seems to be connected to Bluetooth (I know they use the same chipset, and actually are connected, but ideally shouldn't act like it). Sometimes connecting Bluetooth disconnects Wifi, and sometimes I have to disable Wifi to connect to my Bluetooth GPS.

I am having the same issue. Wifi appears to connect but does not do anything. Google can't sync, can't get the Market etc... I'm on 7.0.3 I went back to my backup of 7.0.0 and still had the problem.

Edit: I rebooted my router and forgot all networks on my NC. It seems to be working for now. Also, I told WIFI to never sleep in the advanced wifi settings. Hopefully my problem goes away.

Edited by cashmore1985

I changed the name of my device from android-xxxxxxxxxxxxx to just android and that seemed to help my wifi issues.

What worked for me was "FORGET"-ing all the access points that are already listed. Once I removed all of them, the wifi started detecting again.

bottman likes this

Thanks to everyone that posted one this blog. I've had my nook color rooted for about a month now (totally love it) and today it lost the wifi. I was unsure of what to do until I read all these post. I removed all my connections and re-search for my home network - now its working again. Thanks again!!! I'd be lost without this site!!

I had the same problem yesterday when I updated from 174 to 177. I forgot and then added the account back and it is working great.

I'm having a similar problem. I've tried 7, 7.0.2, and 7.0.3, but all of them have the same problem. The wifi will connect for about 2 minutes, then it loses everything. I've tried most of the above settings, but not sure how to change device name. Are there any new ideas on this?

Also, I recovered to stock, and wifi works fine.

I'm having a similar problem. I've tried 7, 7.0.2, and 7.0.3, but all of them have the same problem. The wifi will connect for about 2 minutes, then it loses everything. I've tried most of the above settings, but not sure how to change device name. Are there any new ideas on this? Also, I recovered to stock, and wifi works fine.

Try to get initially connected using static IP address procedure above - thanks mild7. I used Overlook Ping APP free from the Market - touch device in question and choose change name.

Hey. i have some trouble, with my SE xperia x10 mini pro. Ihave rooted my phone, instaled cyanogen mod MINI CM7 pro. my android version was 2.3.3. it was quiet normal working. some settings were dissabled but all in all everything was OK. I went to rom manager and selected to update. no effect. After few minits, my mobile turned off. when i turned on it, i saw, that ir has updated. BUT. now I cant use the Wifi.! it connects, on my phone screen it is showing that it is connected, but when i go to the market or google, it sais NO INTERNET connection. what Shuold i do to fix it? plz help..

Hey. i have some trouble, with my SE xperia x10 mini pro. Ihave rooted my phone, instaled cyanogen mod MINI CM7 pro. my android version was 2.3.3. it was quiet normal working. some settings were dissabled but all in all everything was OK. I went to rom manager and selected to update. no effect. After few minits, my mobile turned off. when i turned on it, i saw, that ir has updated. BUT. now I cant use the Wifi.! it connects, on my phone screen it is showing that it is connected, but when i go to the market or google, it sais NO INTERNET connection. what Shuold i do to fix it? plz help..

This is a Nook Color forum....

Hm... get a Nook Color, install the latest nightly image, and enjoy WiFi!

Nook Color using v 7.1 - also had wifi issues as described, deleting all saved networks did the trick. Keeping my fingers crossed for an yummy ice cream sandwich,...