BEan

Nook Color

68 posts in this topic

Hello, I thank you all for the wonderful work. Without you, my Eris would be unusable and unstable. I as others just got and rooted a Nook Color. My question, is is it possible to install the render effect preference onto my Nook? I would love it to save battery, and my eyes.

Thanks again,

Leko

Dude... I am thrilled to hear that CM7 is being worked on for the Nook... this is an awesome device and will be WAY better with CM. Glad to hear attn1 is working on it too, I'm very familiar with his work on the Aria.

Like the idea for the render effect... would be pretty useful on this device.

That oc kernel is wonderful. The 1ghz kernel boots maybe one of four attempts on mine, but it seems that's better than other people are seeing :-) i can't wait to see that performance boost with running cm in addition. Im assuming this is a 2.2 based cm port, or cm7? Forgive me if that's been answered already :-)

Edit: i see ciwrl said cm7, im blind. Excited and blind.

CM7 means Cyanogen Mod of Android 2.3? If so, I wonder whether pieces of AOSP 2.3 are about to be included (namely, VOME engine donated to the AOSP 2.3 project by a company named VisualOn) and whether 1...1.2 GHz 2.6.32.x kernels will be offered as options.

In any case, an exciting news. Can't wait for a demo (a video clip preferably with Flash 10.1 fully HW accelerated, with HD YouTube, with some 3D complex textures game, with stock video player playing fluidly 1080p high profiles). TIA.

----------------------------

fineoils.blogspot.com -- my article on NC on its way to A2.3

If, ahem, this is turning into a wishlist thread, I'd very much like to make a request: that CM7 come in both a SD boot and internal variant for the Nook. Because of the amount of time I spend in store at B&N, it'd be very handy to have an unrooted internal memory and a rooted SD card I can boot onto.

Well, I won't go the wishlist route, but I will go the OMG THANK YOU route.

So... yes please! thank you for even trying to bring CM to the NC.

I just picked up the NC a few days ago, immediately rooted it, and am currently playing around with tweaks and just getting it setup the way I want it. But I am thinking there's a desperate need for a well-made ROM. Considering Koush just recently got Clockwork up and running (I haven't tried that just yet), and considering the device is not even two months old yet, I expect it could be awhile before anything happens.

I absolutely love CyanogenMod on my Moto Droid. I will find it comical if CM7 finds its way onto my NC before the Droid sees it, but I won't care either way. Whichever route the devs have to go before proclaiming a release Final and Stable, I don't care. CM6.1.2 has treated me real well, and I'd be ecstatic enough with simply getting a CM6 port on the NC. I remember how much improvement Froyo brought to the Droid, and I'd love to simply get that level of awesomeness on the NC. Gingerbread? Well, words cannot express how happy I'd be. Probably something along the lines of "I need to change my pants." :D

Of course, this is all based on the assumption this all pans out and y'all godly devs can make CM7 stable on the NC. But hell, I'm thankful enough just for the attempt.

Where may one follow the development of this? Is the a report or got branch that's public?

Thanks!

Magically transmitted across the interwebs by my kickass NookColor!

Where may one follow the development of this? Is the a report or got branch that's public?

Thanks!

One mirror is here: http://mirror.teamdouche.net/. When the CM7 for NC will show up there, it will be on the the top of the list.

aludal

fineoils.blogspot.com

Just want to point out that the Nook Color got front page coverage on Engadget this morning due to it's overclocking kernel. Tons of comments garnered. There's a large thread going on over at ArsTechnica. The Nook is hitting the mainstream as an Android Tablet and not just an e-reader. Hope the CM7 release is coming soon and can make all the not-so-early adopters bring their friends to the bandwagon! =)

Yeah, I saw that. I meant the code. I found it on github so it's all good.

Yes PLEASE port to Nook Color... Best tablet you can but for the money obviously not a Galaxy Tab but very comparable in speed when rooted and half the price!

I just bought a Nook Color tonight, and I'm looking at rooting it and putting CWR on it. I've got CyanogenMod on my Liberty, and am eagerly awaiting a version for the NC!

I am so eagerly awaiting this. I love my rooted NC but adding CM would just be AWESOME. Is there a good place where users can discuss desired features prior to code freeze?

I use soft keys, but they are always in the way. I'd prefer a permanent dock with a permanent back arrow, personally. With CM7, does the Nook Bar go away? Would it be possible to remap the power button to do back on tap, and ask for screen off, shut down, or restart on long press, that way keeping the volume buttons (which seem more like separate rockers to me) in tact?

There is also Button Savior which I like better, it also boots up with your NC. I love my NC. Only thing is I love the UI of the NC and I would like to keep it with any new ROM.

There is also Button Savior which I like better, it also boots up with your NC. I love my NC. Only thing is I love the UI of the NC and I would like to keep it with any new ROM.

I'd seriously doubt you'll get to keep the UI since CM releases are generally as close to generic AOSP as possible with no carrier/manufacturer specific add-ons.

As for SoftKeys, I never see it unless I double-click my N button to bring up the soft-key bar. I've also never lost it with a reboot. Maybe older versions had that problem?

I'd seriously doubt you'll get to keep the UI since CM releases are generally as close to generic AOSP as possible with no carrier/manufacturer specific add-ons.

As for SoftKeys, I never see it unless I double-click my N button to bring up the soft-key bar. I've also never lost it with a reboot. Maybe older versions had that problem?

Thats too bad. I have it rooted now and all my apps are located under the "extras" tab, was hoping for the same with CM7 if/when. I have the option of using a different launcher and also with "home switcher" and can go back to the NC home but like I said I like the NC UI. Did the OC 900mhz, did the 950mhz but I lost sensitivity on my screen so went back to 900mhz, its perfect for now. Not ready for 1ghz, did not try and read much issues still. Im really grooving on this little guy. :)

What Viewsonic G-Tab got a forum... where is the Nook Color Forum!!!

Thats too bad. I have it rooted now and all my apps are located under the "extras" tab, was hoping for the same with CM7 if/when. I have the option of using a different launcher and also with "home switcher" and can go back to the NC home but like I said I like the NC UI. Did the OC 900mhz, did the 950mhz but I lost sensitivity on my screen so went back to 900mhz, its perfect for now. Not ready for 1ghz, did not try and read much issues still. Im really grooving on this little guy. :)

set adw for the n button. And if you use soft keys the home button there takes me to nook ui. And the n brings me back to the launcher

Sure the NC stock UI looks classy, and in a sense, it's matching an overall artsy design of the device. There are some glaring flaws the NC designers couldn't possibly foresee. I for one, don't like popups in my xScope and some other critical apps: they render white options on white background. Nobody tweaked UI prefs to take care of that problem yet.

Sure, the forthcoming CM7 for the NC will wipe out all this NC stock stuff completely. However, there's absolutely nothing to feel nostalgic about: the CM theming is a sort of a side/support industry now, so anyone could find whatever suits his/her aesthetic aspirations best.

What might be of real concern for CM7 on NC devs is the lack of 2D/3D HW acceleration support, HW assisted support for video in AOSP 2.3 repo's. There's also no open TI Android 2.3 repo's for OMAP 36xx (probably on Moto request), and one can only pray that A2.3 drivers from Droid 2/X could be put to work on CM7 NC.

What about bluetooth? Any word on having it activated with CM7?

What might be of real concern for CM7 on NC devs is the lack of 2D/3D HW acceleration support, HW assisted support for video in AOSP 2.3 repo's. There's also no open TI Android 2.3 repo's for OMAP 36xx (probably on Moto request), and one can only pray that A2.3 drivers from Droid 2/X could be put to work on CM7 NC.

It does make it a challenge. Nookie Froyo/Cicadaman is making some breakthroughs that will carry over.

I picked up a NC when root was first achieved.. Been loving it ever since, currently running 950MHz and ADW.Launcher EX. As a N1 owner with a latest nightly habit, I can't wait for CM7 on the NC! I've donated to the XDA fund, as well as multiple times to Team Douche for all their work.

It does make it a challenge. Nookie Froyo/Cicadaman is making some breakthroughs that will carry over.

Hope so too. Pulling out hardware-enabled 2D/3D drivers from Droid 2/X and customizing them for the NC is a serious challenge. Hopefully CM (CM7) group and our XDA-Devs have got enough skills to do that and more. By "more" i would love to see VOME framework out of AOSP 2.3 enabled on the NC, plus BT fully enabled.

aludal

-------------------------

fineoils.blogspot.com

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=908515

A flashable OC kernel for the nook. I haven't been able to get it to work, it just hangs on the N screen for me. But others have so I dunno..theres a 900mhz oc, a 950 "screamer" oc, and a beta of a 1ghz oc

i use 950 on mine and its great. rumors say the 1.1ghz works stable too but mi ascared to try it lol

i use 950 on mine and its great. rumors say the 1.1ghz works stable too but mi ascared to try it lol

1.1 is rocking!