BEan

Nook Color

68 posts in this topic

http://lifehacker.com/5701899/root-your-nook-to-turn-it-into-a-cheap-android-tablet

http://nookdevs.com/NookColor_Rooting

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nook_Color

You may of heard about this yesterday, the new color nook as been rooted. From what I can tell is bascily built like Droid/milestone, but with a big screen, no 3g, and no keyboard. I had my hands on with a stock one, its pertty nice. The only odd thing is that the status bar is on the bottom and buttons have to be on the status bar.

I am wondering if it could be possible to put cyanogenmod on it in the future.

hmm...using a rooted Nook to run the Kindle app...oh the irony..

KFlannigan5 likes this

hmm...using a rooted Nook to run the Kindle app...oh the irony..

I'm thinking that the Nook Color running Cyanogen would be the best looking tablet right now. I don't need 3G as I'm going to have my Nexus One in my pocket and don't fancy the $600 price on the Samsung. Anyone else agree?

There's also the fact that CM has a number of speed improvements and could easily include a highly overclockable kernel. I get the impression this CPU/GPU could be a speed demon given a few extra hundred MHz.

Having CM on Nook Color would be amazing!

Cyanogen and team, how about it?!

Please add another device to the menagerie of Cyan!!!

I did get a good look at this thing today. It looks like the buttons for menu, back, and etc would have to be on the screen. Making this thing is perfect for CM.

Or you could remap the volume keys...

I did get a good look at this thing today. It looks like the buttons for menu, back, and etc would have to be on the screen. Making this thing is perfect for CM.

Actually there's a small app called SoftKeys that handles it beautifully.. Currently rooted and running AWN, Android Market, and tons of apps, all for just 249. :)

Twitter.com/nuroslam

And a nookcolor is on its way to koush for clockwork recovery. There was a donation thread on xda, i think it was in the general part of the nook color forum there.

Just wanted to say that I got a Nook Color for the holidays, and immediately rooted it. Its by far the best android tablet for the money, and while the hacked version isn't nearly as refined as Cyanogen, its fantastic for only being a few weeks old! Getting a true Cyanogen Rom for this would be awesome!

I would love to see Cyanogen on the Nook Color. This is a great cheep tablet.

I also just purchased an NC and rooted it immediately. I would be more than happy t donate to assisrt getting cyanogenmod on this thing.

Thedood and Attn1 have both picked one up; along with Fattire and others, they are working on CM7 (actually have it booted and running).

Stay tuned

Sesante likes this

Thedood and Attn1 have both picked one up; along with Fattire and others, they are working on CM7 (actually have it booted and running).

Stay tuned

Awesome! So glad to hear it

Man... Oh I would give anything to have cyanogen on this so called ebook :D<_<

I think Barnes and Nobles should stop being stuck up and but REAL androids on their machines... So what if we use the Kindle APP!!!

I use the Kindle app on mine. Bought a few for my kindle app before I bought the nook

Well, that is AFTER we root it. Would it pain them so much to make a conventional android device? After all, nook color is their #1 selling product. And they need to know that we buy kindle books.. because they have better services and are cheaper!!!

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=908515

A flashable OC kernel for the nook. I haven't been able to get it to work, it just hangs on the N screen for me. But others have so I dunno..theres a 900mhz oc, a 950 "screamer" oc, and a beta of a 1ghz oc

I am so eagerly awaiting this. I love my rooted NC but adding CM would just be AWESOME. Is there a good place where users can discuss desired features prior to code freeze?

I use soft keys, but they are always in the way. I'd prefer a permanent dock with a permanent back arrow, personally. With CM7, does the Nook Bar go away? Would it be possible to remap the power button to do back on tap, and ask for screen off, shut down, or restart on long press, that way keeping the volume buttons (which seem more like separate rockers to me) in tact?

That oc kernel is wonderful. The 1ghz kernel boots maybe one of four attempts on mine, but it seems that's better than other people are seeing :-) i can't wait to see that performance boost with running cm in addition. Im assuming this is a 2.2 based cm port, or cm7? Forgive me if that's been answered already :-)

Edit: i see ciwrl said cm7, im blind. Excited and blind.

Edited by apothegm

Can we see a demonstration of CM 7 booting and running on video? XD Just seeing it will make me go to climax :D

That oc kernel is wonderful. The 1ghz kernel boots maybe one of four attempts on mine, but it seems that's better than other people are seeing :-) i can't wait to see that performance boost with running cm in addition. Im assuming this is a 2.2 based cm port, or cm7? Forgive me if that's been answered already :-)

Edit: i see ciwrl said cm7, im blind. Excited and blind.

Atleast you got it to work...damn thing still won't boot on my nook

Stay tuned

Anyone going to make some commits to Gerrit soon? That'd be pretty sweet.