Welcome to CyanogenMod

Welcome to our forum. Like most online communities you must register to post, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the CyanogenMod Forum by signing in or creating an account. You can even sign in with your Facebook or Twitter account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Download files attached to the forum.
  • Customize your experience here
  • Share your CyanogenMod experience!
Guest Message by DevFuse

Update From Cm10.2 To Cm11 Possible With Builtin Update Tool?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 thumi69

thumi69
  • Members
  • 10 posts
    de - Germany
  • Device Model:
    Galaxy S3
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 09 December 2013 - 01:16 PM

Hi,

since some days I see CM11 nightlies in my CM10.2 updater. But when I try to install them I'm getting error and a reboot loop where I always boot into recovery system.
So should this work this way? If not it should not show CM11 updates when CM10.2 is running, right?

thx
Stephan

#2 hauntedpenguin

hauntedpenguin
  • Members
  • 5 posts
    uk - United Kingdom
  • Device Model:
    Galaxy S3 (int)
  • CM Version:
    CM11 nightlies
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 09 December 2013 - 03:52 PM

thumi69, on 09 December 2013 - 01:16 PM, said:

Hi,

since some days I see CM11 nightlies in my CM10.2 updater. But when I try to install them I'm getting error and a reboot loop where I always boot into recovery system.
So should this work this way? If not it should not show CM11 updates when CM10.2 is running, right?

thx
Stephan

Hi I've just updated my Galaxy S3 from 10.2 to 11nightlies with no problems using the built in updater. I believe you have to have the latest CWM version and flash the latest 4.4 Gapps too.

Edited by hauntedpenguin, 09 December 2013 - 03:52 PM.

#3 chis54

chis54
  • Donators
  • 7 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Samsung Galaxy S3 (d2tmo)
  • CM Version:
    CM11
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 09 December 2013 - 08:20 PM

hauntedpenguin, on 09 December 2013 - 03:52 PM, said:

Hi I've just updated my Galaxy S3 from 10.2 to 11nightlies with no problems using the built in updater. I believe you have to have the latest CWM version and flash the latest 4.4 Gapps too.

Are there any major bugs that you've seen? I haven't tried cm11 yet, I'm on cm10.2 stable, but I've heard of problems such as mute doesn't work on phone call, swiping on AOSP keyboard crashes, front camera causes reboot, and external SD card problems.

#4 Hooterz123

Hooterz123
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 09:45 PM

i am wondering the very same question, i have the latest cm 10.2 nightly before cm 11 also the latest CW recovery
havent dared to upgrade to cm 11 using the built in updater

#5 fonskebe

fonskebe
  • Members
  • 1 posts
    be - Belgium
  • Device Model:
    i9300
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 09 December 2013 - 11:23 PM

I'm running the cm 11 with no problems at all so far. Seems to be faster then before. I like it

#6 themorph

themorph
  • Members
  • 2 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    d2att
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 10 December 2013 - 01:59 AM

Also facing problems updating to CM11. I first downloaded through Rom Manager and faced a status 7 during installation. I updated to the latest CMW recovery through ROM Manager (6.0.4.3) but the update doesn't seem to be working. In ROM manager it sais that the latest recovery is installed, but when i reboot the device into recovery the version sais 6.0.3.7.

Is this the root of my problems? Any idea why the CMW update through Rom Manager doesn't work? Any1 got manual update procedure handy?

#7 Hooterz123

Hooterz123
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 08:23 AM

fonskebe, on 09 December 2013 - 11:23 PM, said:

I'm running the cm 11 with no problems at all so far. Seems to be faster then before. I like it
did u update 10.2 to 11 using the built in updater?

#8 paulpark03

paulpark03
  • Members
  • 5 posts
    ca - Canada
  • Device Model:
    Samsung Galaxy S3 - I747M
  • CM Version:
    CM-11-NIGHTLY
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 10 December 2013 - 09:27 AM

themorph, on 10 December 2013 - 01:59 AM, said:

Is this the root of my problems? Any idea why the CMW update through Rom Manager doesn't work? Any1 got manual update procedure handy?

The only thing you need to remember is to update your CWM recovery before updating.
If you forgot like me and got a Status 7, update CWM recovery for d2att found here via heimdall, and try again. Mine got stuck in a loop while booting after the Status 7 error.

Somebody should update the link for CWM recovery to the newest version on the wiki.

Make sure that you are using the latest CWM recovery (6.0.4.3 +), if not you will see a “set_metadata_recursive: some changes failed”.

Read more: http://wccftech.com/.../#ixzz2n3tBwh39

#9 Hooterz123

Hooterz123
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 09:47 AM

paulpark03, on 10 December 2013 - 09:27 AM, said:

The only thing you need to remember is to update your CWM recovery before updating.
If you forgot like me and got a Status 7, update CWM recovery for d2att found here via heimdall, and try again. Mine got stuck in a loop while booting after the Status 7 error.

Somebody should update the link for CWM recovery to the newest version on the wiki.

so if i have CW recovery 6.0.4.3 and cm 10.2 i just clear cache dalvik cache flash cm 11 and then gapps?

#10 themorph

themorph
  • Members
  • 2 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    d2att
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 10 December 2013 - 02:51 PM

paulpark03, on 10 December 2013 - 09:27 AM, said:

Thanks! It was indeed my CMW version... I'm a little hesitant to use console based tools. I was able to find a flashable zip here: http://forum.xda-dev...=2152769&page=3. Just place the file in a folder on the device and install from your current CMW recovery.

I performed a full data wipe/factory reset before flashing to CM11. Make sure to download and install the latest gapps for 4.4 as well. Got mine here http://goo.im/devs/p...roid/roms/gapps

#11 sharksoft

sharksoft
  • Members
  • 32 posts
  • Twitter:mariobuonomo
    it - Italy
  • Device Model:
    Lg Optimus Sol
  • CM Version:
    CM9 - Nightly
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 11 December 2013 - 07:53 AM

themorph, on 10 December 2013 - 02:51 PM, said:

Thanks! It was indeed my CMW version... I'm a little hesitant to use console based tools. I was able to find a flashable zip here: http://forum.xda-dev...=2152769&page=3. Just place the file in a folder on the device and install from your current CMW recovery.

I performed a full data wipe/factory reset before flashing to CM11. Make sure to download and install the latest gapps for 4.4 as well. Got mine here http://goo.im/devs/p...roid/roms/gapps

Is it necessary full data wipe/factory reset to upgrade from 10.2 to 11? I don't want delete all :(

#12 ld626

ld626
  • Members
  • 5 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Samsung Galaxy S3
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 11 December 2013 - 02:47 PM

sharksoft, on 11 December 2013 - 07:53 AM, said:

Is it necessary full data wipe/factory reset to upgrade from 10.2 to 11? I don't want delete all :(
I have the same question?

#13 biggboppa77

biggboppa77
  • Members
  • 1 posts
    uk - United Kingdom
  • Device Model:
    i9300
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 12 December 2013 - 08:44 AM

themorph, on 10 December 2013 - 01:59 AM, said:

Also facing problems updating to CM11. I first downloaded through Rom Manager and faced a status 7 during installation. I updated to the latest CMW recovery through ROM Manager (6.0.4.3) but the update doesn't seem to be working. In ROM manager it sais that the latest recovery is installed, but when i reboot the device into recovery the version sais 6.0.3.7.

Hi guys, this is my first posting here so please forgive me if im not the most articulate!

I am having awful problems updating my i9300 to the 6.0.4.3 from 5.5.3.2.  all i seem to get are errors everywhere.  i have used the links here but when i try to update to 6.0.4.3 i get a message stating that it does not appear to be a valid archive etc.

thanks in advance for any help you may provide!

Also i see this response:  "Thanks! It was indeed my CMW version... I'm a little hesitant to use console based tools. I was able to find a flashable zip here: http://forum.xda-dev...=2152769&page=3. Just place the file in a folder on the device and install from your current CMW recovery"   im not sure if im doing something wrong here but i get the message from my device stating "an error occurred while flashing your recovery"

thanks again

Edited by biggboppa77, 12 December 2013 - 08:50 AM.

#14 Akeshihiro

Akeshihiro
  • Members
  • 10 posts
    de - Germany
  • Device Model:
    i9300
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 12 December 2013 - 09:12 AM

Is your file a zip file or an img file? If img then you have to install the recovery via haimdal.

#15 sharksoft

sharksoft
  • Members
  • 32 posts
  • Twitter:mariobuonomo
    it - Italy
  • Device Model:
    Lg Optimus Sol
  • CM Version:
    CM9 - Nightly
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 18 December 2013 - 08:30 PM

#16 ut00wj

ut00wj
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  • Twitter:ut00wj
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Galaxy S3 (Sprint)
  • CM Version:
    CM 10.2
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 26 December 2013 - 03:18 AM

Bump.

Is it necessary full data wipe/factory reset to upgrade from 10.2 to 11? I don't want delete all

#17 vincentlu

vincentlu
  • Members
  • 13 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Galaxy S3 T-Mobile
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    TWRP

Posted 26 December 2013 - 09:05 PM

ut00wj, on 26 December 2013 - 03:18 AM, said:

Bump.

Is it necessary full data wipe/factory reset to upgrade from 10.2 to 11? I don't want delete all

no i didnt, i just made sure i had the latest twrp version and installed through the cm updater. then flashed the 4.4 gapps

in your case, the latest cwm

Edited by vincentlu, 26 December 2013 - 09:07 PM.