Welcome to CyanogenMod

Welcome to our forum. Like most online communities you must register to post, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the CyanogenMod Forum by signing in or creating an account. You can even sign in with your Facebook or Twitter account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Download files attached to the forum.
  • Customize your experience here
  • Share your CyanogenMod experience!
Guest Message by DevFuse

Device Volume Output Very Low

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Dude Virus

Dude Virus
  • Members
  • 7 posts
    in - India
  • Device Model:
    Note 2 GT-N7100
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 24 September 2013 - 05:37 PM

Hi Guys

I flashed the stable 10.1.3 rom on my device however i have noticed that the volume output is very low. Infact i find it lower than the stock Samsung rom. On the samsung rom since i found the output low, i had over written the vol file default_gain.conf via the modified louder version found on xda.

I tried doing the same here so i could increase the output however for this rom there doesn't seem to be a default_gain.conf file in the system/etc folder. I tried tweaking the sound via dsp manager however still the sound is too low.

Could anyone please help me in increasing the volume output. It is overall low even in call volume, i really had to press the phone hard to my ears to listen to the person on the other end. Like the stock rom there also isnt a volume boost button for incall vol.

#2 Dude Virus

Dude Virus
  • Members
  • 7 posts
    in - India
  • Device Model:
    Note 2 GT-N7100
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 26 September 2013 - 04:16 AM

OK an update... I was able to increase the sound volume like I did for the stock note 2 ROM. Had to manually edit the values and now the sound on the speakers is better ( not as much as I go it with the default_gain.conf edit ) but better than what is the default with the cm.

Here is the process.

Goto system/etc/sound

There will be one file

First backup that file just in case.

Once you have backed up the original file open the file via text editor ( I used File Manager app as the default cm file explorer caused issues )

Locate the entry for speaker and change the value from 57 to 63 (63 is the max as setting anything above that breaks the sound )

Similarly do the same for headphones and earpiece. Although for earpiece and headphones change it to 60.

Now save the file and reassign permissions rw-r-r and then reboot. Notice the change.

In case anyone is facing any issues do let me know and I will provide the file which I editted.

#3 TheWizzard2203

TheWizzard2203
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  • Twitter:TheWizzard2203
    nl - Netherlands
  • Device Model:
    SGS3 and Asus TF101
  • CM Version:
    CM9.01 and CM10
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 09 October 2013 - 02:38 PM

I found the file, which is t03g if I'm correct. But it has so many options so can you please specify the values you edited?

#4 mechrekt

mechrekt
  • Members
  • 2 posts
    it - Italy
  • Device Model:
    Samsung Galaxy Note II
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    TWRP

Posted 14 November 2013 - 03:23 PM

Audio is lower than original Samsung rom and distorted. Anyone noticed the same issue?
I'm talking about external speaker, I did the test using the same song for every rom I've tried so far.

For me we have 2 problems:
1) The speaker in general is low: (not only for music listening), I have difficult to hear my phone ringing especially for sms and notifications, when in my pocket.

2) Distortion: I'm using the same music track to do audio tests with roms and I think that Samsung did a trick to have a louder volume without distortion by cutting out some low frequencies (this is applied to entire system not only for music apps). I've noticed it because the same audio track has a bassline that I can hear better ("full range of frequencies") with CM rom (but distorted).

Is there a solution for this? I've already tried neak kernel without special results. I'm not searching for an "eq solution" that applies for music but for the entire system.

I've tried the solution from Dude Virus, but I think in this case is worse, because I'm having already distorted audio, so if I change the value from 57 to 63 I get even more distortion.

For now I'm using the "DSP Manager" integrated with CM rom as a workaround by manually creating an EQ preset without lower frequencies and adding some gain to mid/high freq, but this is only a partial solution.

I'm frustrated by the fact that this is considered a stable rom..

(Sorry for my english)

#5 impy2101

impy2101
  • Members
  • 5 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    SCH-R950 US Cellular
  • CM Version:
    CM10.1-20130225-unofficial-r950
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 18 January 2014 - 03:28 AM

I have rooted my phone, and used terminal emulator to login as SU - I then chdir to \etc\sound and found the sound file t0ltecdma and opened it with the editor. Found the volume line, changed it, and then tried to save it. I get a message saying That it is a system file and of course permissions are not changed. I tried to chmod it 755 but get the same message about it being system file. Do I need to do this in system recovery or something? If so - what do I use?

#6 RichieEastwood

RichieEastwood
  • Members
  • 3 posts
    de - Germany
  • Device Model:
    GT-N7100
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    TWRP

Posted 09 February 2014 - 10:19 PM

View Postimpy2101, on 18 January 2014 - 03:28 AM, said:

If so - what do I use?

I recommend to use the Android Total Commander. The app does the necessary settings automatically for you. I've got no clue about mounting etc. but with Total Commander it worked just fine. The problem: I edited the values Dude Virus recommended and the sound is louder now - so far so good - but its distorted too... Sound on samsung stock firmware is louder and clearer. I'm a little bit disappointed this beeing the sound of a cyanogenmod stable. Could anybody tell me, if I can flash another kernel in this rom with explicit sound tuning opportunities?

View PostDude Virus, on 26 September 2013 - 04:16 AM, said:

OK an update... I was able to increase the sound volume like I did for the stock note 2 ROM. Had to manually edit the values and now the sound on the speakers is better ( not as much as I go it with the default_gain.conf edit ) but better than what is the default with the cm.
Do you have another idea what could be done? And is the bluetooth volume edited via a separate value? I can't test this now, I've got only external Lowe speaker 2 go (excellent!) as bluetooth device and can't play them as loud as necessary to test this, without waking up my wife and son ;-)

#7 RichieEastwood

RichieEastwood
  • Members
  • 3 posts
    de - Germany
  • Device Model:
    GT-N7100
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    TWRP

Posted 13 February 2014 - 10:19 PM

View Postmechrekt, on 14 November 2013 - 03:23 PM, said:

For now I'm using the "DSP Manager" integrated with CM rom as a workaround by manually creating an EQ preset without lower frequencies and adding some gain to mid/high freq, but this is only a partial solution.

I'm frustrated by the fact that this is considered a stable rom..

(Sorry for my english)
I installed uneak kernel too, and it is like you said: There is no better audio performance of the internal media speaker than without uneak kernel. Sure, the lineout performance is much better, but that's only one point I was looking for. I'm doing now what you're doing too: Using the cm dsp manager and lowering down the bass frequencies. Not a real good solution, but it seems to be the best at the moment. Maybee there will be a better solution in neak kernel. At least the developer seems to keep up the development...