Welcome to CyanogenMod

Welcome to our forum. Like most online communities you must register to post, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the CyanogenMod Forum by signing in or creating an account. You can even sign in with your Facebook or Twitter account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Download files attached to the forum.
  • Customize your experience here
  • Share your CyanogenMod experience!
Guest Message by DevFuse

Battery Drain Even When Plugged To Charger

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 ErgoProxy

ErgoProxy
  • Members
  • 13 posts
    cz - Czech Republic
  • Device Model:
    I9300
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 24 September 2013 - 12:34 PM

Hi all,

Today I have installed 10.1.3 stable rom on my I9300, it runs flawlessly smooth, everything is nice. But after some time I spent with tweaking the rom, I have noticed that it charges really slowly, at least when charging from my PC via USB cable. Then I tried some decent undervolting and started Antutu stability test...when I came back to check my phone after few minutes, it showed me 4 percent of battery less than before. Also, the phone was hot like hell!

You might say to try normal wallplug charger, but it is not a valid argument, because with stock rom I used until today, there was no problem even with overclocked device to 1600CPU/666GPU!

Next I tried to change kernel, so now I am on latest Siyah 1.9.1...the problem is still exactly the same, so kernel is not the source of this issue.

Anyone of you have these troubles with discharging/slow charging/extreme heating?

Thanx!

Edited by ErgoProxy, 24 September 2013 - 12:41 PM.

#2 ErgoProxy

ErgoProxy
  • Members
  • 13 posts
    cz - Czech Republic
  • Device Model:
    I9300
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 24 September 2013 - 05:20 PM

So, 1hr and 15 minutes after the phone was fully charged and 1hr screen on with brightness set to auto, my battery is on 77%, screen consumption says 31%, Android OS 34% and Mediaserver 13%. I was constantly browsing internet and listening to music (PlayerPro, 7% consumption)... I can say that overall battery consumption is slightly higher (maybe 5-8%) than on tweaked "stock based" rom. However, I don't understand the Android OS drain. I have never seen it this incredibly high on this phone!!! I am really curious what will I see after next two hours with almost no usage, starting now and I will report then.

#3 Dhteleport

Dhteleport
  • Donators
  • 368 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Samsung Galaxy III
  • CM Version:
    d2lte
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 24 September 2013 - 05:44 PM

Hello, if you can review this good post it may help, otherwise since you just upgraded to CM I think that is why OS registers so high. As you cycle through another day or so of use it should go down. Right now my battery stats shows screen 79% highest with Android OS at 3%.

I started with 100% battery life early this morning and now have 83% after quite a bit of use (bigger battery than normal) I have been on CM Nightly's for weeks now, but updated this morning to a newer Nightly.
http://forum.cyanoge...-dying-so-fast/

#4 ErgoProxy

ErgoProxy
  • Members
  • 13 posts
    cz - Czech Republic
  • Device Model:
    I9300
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 24 September 2013 - 06:00 PM

One thing I have just discovered about Android OS drain on my phone. Its "Time on" value does not rise when I don't use the phone, so it has to be some service directly connected with either screen on or some part of GUI...

#5 Dhteleport

Dhteleport
  • Donators
  • 368 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Samsung Galaxy III
  • CM Version:
    d2lte
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 24 September 2013 - 06:25 PM

I imagine you have looked, but I would check to see what is running in the background, do you have google apps installed and syncing or any other app that is quietly working?

#6 ErgoProxy

ErgoProxy
  • Members
  • 13 posts
    cz - Czech Republic
  • Device Model:
    I9300
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 24 September 2013 - 07:18 PM

Sure I have Google Apps. Now after some time with almost no use of the phone, the battery is on 70%, Android OS is slowly falling down percent by percent... Normally, when it is caused by wakelocks, it falls down when you actually use the phone, because other apps start consuming more power in comparison to Android OS, but behavior on my phone is exactly the opposite... I will see tomorrow, how it will change...

During 3hrs 15 minutes, the phone was 1hr 23mins in deep sleep, 1hr 22mins screen on (when I was browsing the web on my way home from work), total wake time is 1hr 52mins.
Among Wakeup Triggers, top three are Facebook Messenger with 154times and Facebook with 125 times, Phone with 65.
Facebook apps have exactly the same settings as they had on my previous installations, they caused no drain then...so I presume they are not the problem...and as I said, when the phone lays still, there is no drain!

#7 lygon

lygon
  • Members
  • 10 posts
    au - Australia
  • Device Model:
    i9300
  • CM Version:
    10.1.3 RC2
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 24 September 2013 - 08:05 PM

I have had this problem since 10.1.3 rc1. Am currently on rc2 and android os is still really high (left idle it goes up to 70%, with use it goes down to 20-35%). Hoping that stable will fix this.

It seems to affect certain users only. I can confirm for me at least that it is either gapps or ROM related. As the problem is there on a clean fresh wipe install with no apps installed (Cept for gapps). I have changed kernels, tweaked settings anything I can think of to try and fix it, but no luck.

I can't even come close to finding out what is causing it. Its at 5-8% battery drain per hour when idle.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4

#8 ErgoProxy

ErgoProxy
  • Members
  • 13 posts
    cz - Czech Republic
  • Device Model:
    I9300
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 25 September 2013 - 06:48 AM

I have fully charged my device during night, now I used it on my way to work as I usually do - 1hr of music and web browsing. Results are following:

After like 10 minutes after unplugging the phone from charger, the battery usage was perfect, with Android OS consuming like 5-7%. When I left my house and started the web and music player, Android OS and Mediaserver started rising their consumption. After like 20 mins, A.OS took 26% and M.Server like 10%, Screen 48% after another 20 minutes A.OS dropped to 20% and M.Server rised to 15%, Screen was 47%. Now, after another 20 mins, A.OS is on 20%, M.Server 12%, Screen 43%. What is important, my battery is on 86%, which is pretty normal for my device! I think that the percentage is maybe some kind of bug, maybe the CM rom hides some process behind M.Server and A.OS indicators, that is normally contained in some other indicator, ie. Music Player, Internet Browser, etc.

Last night I did some tweaks using "DisableService", because I found in one forum here, that it was problem with previous RC versions of CM10.1.3 - I checked and unchecked "Analytics service" under "Google Play Services" and most importantly I did the same with "System Update Service" under "Google Services Framework". And as some guy wrote somewhere on these forums, I have uninstalled "Google Text to Speech" module - the guy wrote that he found out that "audioOut_2" was causing wakelocks and according to some XDA thread recommended to disable Google TTS which should be connected with it. I don't use TTS, so I uninstalled it completely.

Is is possible that these tweaks had some influence on behavior, but the basics remain still the same - Android OS consumes more energy when I actually use the phone, not when it is idle. And normal battery drain scenario was, that it used more in idle and less when the device was used, this is what's strange on this case! Another thing is, that overall battery consumption is quite normal now, so I presume that the statistics are either bugged, or they are handled in other way than on stock based roms.

Is it possible that some sub/process, which is on stock rom part of Media player or internet browser or something like that, is being part of Android OS or Mediaserver statistic on Cyanogenmod???

Edited by ErgoProxy, 25 September 2013 - 06:49 AM.

#9 ErgoProxy

ErgoProxy
  • Members
  • 13 posts
    cz - Czech Republic
  • Device Model:
    I9300
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 25 September 2013 - 01:49 PM

Now it seems, that with quite low usage, Google Services are consuming more and more (19%), while Android OS is slowly dropping (15%)...

#10 bassmadrigal

bassmadrigal
  • Administrators
  • 12912 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Nexus 4
  • CM Version:
    10.2 Nightlies
  • Recovery Image:
    TWRP

Posted 25 September 2013 - 04:27 PM

The stats from Settings -> Battery mean nothing in trying to determine the cause of the problem when it is an Android system app causing the problem (even with regular apps sometimes). The post that Dhteleport linked to is what will provide the needed information in helping to determine what is causing Android OS and Google Services to be so high. It will display the actual services that is keeping the device awake rather than the parent app (since you can't kill Android OS, but you can probably kill the service that is causing the problem).

#11 ErgoProxy

ErgoProxy
  • Members
  • 13 posts
    cz - Czech Republic
  • Device Model:
    I9300
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 25 September 2013 - 06:02 PM

Now it seems that Android OS matters me no more, but Google Services just reached 31% with only light phone usage! A.OS is still dropping down...I will do more investigation tomorrow...

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Still, I'm wondering why CM acts so differently for example on two absolutely identical devices, both totaly wiped and installed the same way... :-(

#12 ErgoProxy

ErgoProxy
  • Members
  • 13 posts
    cz - Czech Republic
  • Device Model:
    I9300
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 26 September 2013 - 05:31 AM

Looked for the wakelocks and the only thing under Google Services that was high is NLP recorder wakelock. I have disabled NLP reciever service, because it was the only service with NLP in name...and now I am monitoring the behavior, will report back!

Edit: so disabling the NLP reciever did not help...trying to disable all location services, will report back.

Edited by ErgoProxy, 26 September 2013 - 06:38 AM.

#13 zhengwhizz

zhengwhizz
  • Members
  • 3 posts
    cn - China
  • Device Model:
    SCH-i535
  • CM Version:
    jellybean
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 26 September 2013 - 07:57 AM

i installed d2vzw 10.1.3 also drain battery, i found the screen spent more battery than using stock. when phone sleep it's normal, but when screen on it's spent lots of battery. the battery from 100% to 20% just using 4hours, when using stock it just to about 50% in the same condition.

#14 ErgoProxy

ErgoProxy
  • Members
  • 13 posts
    cz - Czech Republic
  • Device Model:
    I9300
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 26 September 2013 - 08:47 AM

Can you loo

zhengwhizz, on 26 September 2013 - 07:57 AM, said:

i installed d2vzw 10.1.3 also drain battery, i found the screen spent more battery than using stock. when phone sleep it's normal, but when screen on it's spent lots of battery. the battery from 100% to 20% just using 4hours, when using stock it just to about 50% in the same condition.
Can you look at your battery stats and say if you see very similiar (but not exactly the same) CPU usage on Screen and Android OS as well? Because this is exactly my case, but I cannot remember wheather it was normal or not, maybe I am chasing ghosts here...

For example my Screen says Time on: 1:13hr, A.OS: 52mins (keep awake only 3:30mins). My problem is something in Google Services, they say 1:33min total CPU and 8:30 min Keep awake, but consuming 46% of battery consumption after 2:30hrs on Battery...

#15 ErgoProxy

ErgoProxy
  • Members
  • 13 posts
    cz - Czech Republic
  • Device Model:
    I9300
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 26 September 2013 - 09:27 AM

Ooops, after I have disabled all the location services, my phone will no longer boot properly. After reboot, it boots up, only PIN screen blinks for a second and then I get back to boot animation (CM circle) for a while, then PIN screen blinks again...etc., etc... I hope that no-wipe flash will fix this. :-(

...so it didn't help...damn, set everything again...OMG! :-(

Edited by ErgoProxy, 26 September 2013 - 09:31 AM.

#16 purplegenome

purplegenome
  • Members
  • 28 posts
    mx - Mexico
  • Device Model:
    i9300
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 26 September 2013 - 12:36 PM

I found some threads regarding the battery draining that is affecting most users of 4.2.2 based ROMs (including stocks), and among all the solutions I picked one that is less invasive and convinient if you guys don't use the Google Now features.

- No need to downgrade Google Maps (in this fix)

1. Download the "Disable Service" app from Play Store
2. In "Disable Service" app deactivate (uncheck) 2 services in SystemApps tab:
   - Google Play services >>> AnalyticsService
   - Google Services Framework >>> SystemUpdateService (I believe this comes deactivated by default in CM)
3. Close "Disable Service" app.
4. Go to Google Maps >>> Settings >>> Google location settings.
5. Once there deactivate (uncheck) "Access location: Let Google apps use this phone's location any time the device is on"
6. You'll see the options below listing your google accounts will set to disable automatically.
7. You're done.

You'll see that with this method the percentage of Google Services in your Battery stats will no longer use that much battery life. You won't need to disable the Location Access's GPS nor Wifi/mobile network location under Android's preferences.

Apparently, with the latests updates from Google and Google Now, the wanna track all your movements to let you have a better Google Now experience hence battery sacrifice.

With this setting some Google apps that uses your location will not work unless you activate them back. (I only use GMaps to check addresses not pinpointing my own location, so i doesnt affect me that much)

Posted Image

Post feedbacks please.

Edited by purplegenome, 28 September 2013 - 03:21 PM.

#17 Dhteleport

Dhteleport
  • Donators
  • 368 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Samsung Galaxy III
  • CM Version:
    d2lte
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 26 September 2013 - 02:36 PM

Have you tried a total wipe and retry the 10.1.3 stable again leaving alone everything else, or try the RC version dated 2013-09-04, or even a Nightly? Sorry, it has become so frustrating :(

#18 ErgoProxy

ErgoProxy
  • Members
  • 13 posts
    cz - Czech Republic
  • Device Model:
    I9300
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 27 September 2013 - 07:14 AM

Dhteleport, on 26 September 2013 - 02:36 PM, said:

Have you tried a total wipe and retry the 10.1.3 stable again leaving alone everything else, or try the RC version dated 2013-09-04, or even a Nightly? Sorry, it has become so frustrating :(
I have re-flashed the phone after full wipe (because it was unable to boot once I disabled all location services). I am monitoring the situation since then and I will report back once I know something.

#19 ErgoProxy

ErgoProxy
  • Members
  • 13 posts
    cz - Czech Republic
  • Device Model:
    I9300
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 30 September 2013 - 09:54 AM

It looks like the stats are just bugged. I have almost 24 hr battery life now, it is quite acceptable. It is like 30% worse than on stock based roms, but I'll have to live with it...

#20 dhignolino

dhignolino
  • Members
  • 2 posts
    it - Italy
  • Device Model:
    samsung galaxy s3
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 30 September 2013 - 12:37 PM

I also have battery drain problems. I've found it is mainly caused by a process called RIJL