Welcome to CyanogenMod

Welcome to our forum. Like most online communities you must register to post, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the CyanogenMod Forum by signing in or creating an account. You can even sign in with your Facebook or Twitter account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Download files attached to the forum.
  • Customize your experience here
  • Share your CyanogenMod experience!
Guest Message by DevFuse

Galaxy S Ii Randomly Shuts Off And Can Not Be Turned On

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 roplotfan

roplotfan
  • Members
  • 6 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Samsung Galaxy S II
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 10 September 2013 - 10:21 PM

Hello everyone. I really like CyanogenMod and I'm trying to learn more about it, but I've run into a weird issue with the phone.

My phone is a Samsung Galaxy S II (GT-i9100). My brother gave it to me once he bought a new phone. It was already rooted and it is using CyanogenMod running Android 4.2.2 (Jellybean). The kernel version is 3.0.31-CM-gd3ad65f. For some reason, the CyanogenMod version appears as 4.2.2 in 'About Phone', so I'm thinking it's 10.1. I have not updated to the recent RC releases yet. I am not sure what other mods my brother applied to his phone, but when I boot it the loading screen for the Sony Xperia (animated colored ribbons) appears before the home screen shows up. I tried dialing #1234# and it did not work, so I'm guessing he installed a custom firmware on the phone too.

Yesterday, I was doing some QA work. I accidentally pulled my phone from the USB cable before properly unmounting it in Windows 8 Home Premium 64-bit. Then, I used the phone to record a video of some testing I was doing on my iPad. Everything went fine until the phone suddenly shut off. This made no sense to me because the battery had most of its charge left (it was at around 85%). I held down the Power button to turn it back on, but it was not turning on at first until I reconnected it to the phone charger. After a few seconds, I unplugged the phone from the charger and tried turning it on again. The initial loading screen with the Samsung Galaxy Sii logo appeared (a hard reboot according to this FAQ(http://forum.cyanoge...out-my-problem/)). The phone turned on normally and for a few minutes everything was okay. Then, it switched off again. I searched online for a solution and found out that I could access Recovery mode on the phone by holding down Vol Up + Home + Power until the screen flashed. That got me into the CWM Recovery mode (the version was 6.0.29). I decided to reboot from it to see if that would help things. For several hours my phone was back to working as normal.

Today, I was using my phone to listen to a seminar online through GoToMeeting. It was working alright but then the phone switched off at random again. This time I booted back in to Recovery mode and decided to do a backup of my phone just in case. Unfortunately, when I tried to, I got a message saying this: 'Can't mount backup path'. I suspect that there's no external SD card in the phone but I want to check that and make sure so I don't make a fool out of myself.

So here are my questions:
a ) If you can't backup to an external SD card, is there a way to backup to a computer? (Sorry if this has been asked already.)
b ) Has anyone run into an issue where you record a video for 2+ mins and then the phone suddenly switches off?
c ) Would it better to just do the update so I don't run into this problem again?

Any help would be much appreciated. I have also attached a last_kmsg log to this post.
https://www.dropbox....d/last_kmsg.txt

Edited by roplotfan, 10 September 2013 - 10:27 PM.

#2 bassmadrigal

bassmadrigal
  • Administrators
  • 12912 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Nexus 4
  • CM Version:
    10.2 Nightlies
  • Recovery Image:
    TWRP

Posted 11 September 2013 - 12:55 PM

The hard reboot is only for when the device reboots itself, not when it is powered off. Does it just completely turn off or does it shut the phone down? If it completely shuts it off, I'd actually be more inclined to think it is a hardware issue. Unfortunately, I am not familiar at all with custom recoveries and backing up to an external card (none of my recent devices have an external sd slot), so I can't really help you there.

If you are able to figure out how to back up your device, I would recommend trying to restore the device to stock and see if the problem still occurs.

I'd take a look at your last_kmsg (not that I would necessarily be able to decipher anything), but dropbox is blocked at my work. But since it wasn't a reboot, I'm not sure it would have anything of note in there.

#3 roplotfan

roplotfan
  • Members
  • 6 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Samsung Galaxy S II
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 12 September 2013 - 03:06 PM

The phone completely shuts off. I'll be using it for a few minutes. The battery is not close to empty. Then, the screen flashes like when you turn off the phone. When I hold down the button to turn it on normally, sometimes it just won't come back on. The only way I can get it back on is to go into the recovery mode, then reboot. So your phone does not have a microSD card slot near the battery? Because that's what the Galaxy Sii has. I assumed that's what CWM meant by external SD but maybe I should have picked internal SD instead. Would you prefer that I send it to you as a private message? Or should I just post it directly in the thread?

#4 bassmadrigal

bassmadrigal
  • Administrators
  • 12912 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Nexus 4
  • CM Version:
    10.2 Nightlies
  • Recovery Image:
    TWRP

Posted 12 September 2013 - 04:43 PM

As my signature states, I don't provide support over PM. It doesn't do anybody other than the person asking any good. The forum is here for a reason.

But if it is just shutting off, I doubt the last_kmsg would have anything, because when serious stuff goes wrong in Android, it will write to that log and then reboot the device. Since the device isn't rebooting, I don't think Android realizes anything happened, so I doubt anything gets sent to the log. I'm guessing this is a hardware issue, but the only way to check that is to revert your device to stock and see if it still happens.

And no, the Nexus 4 does not have an external sdcard slot (none of the Nexus devices after the Nexus One has). Google prefers devices to not have it because it can confuse users on where things are going to get stored or cause the need of additional configuration options on where things are saved. You can read the following on why Google prefers to not have external sdcards (the question is first and then an answer from a Google dev). I don't mind not having an sdcard, but I wish Google would offer larger sizes. 16GB should've been the smallest version they offered on the Nexus 4 (the 8GB version should've just been a joke that someone threw out there, but they released it).

http://www.reddit.co...storage/c30rhys

#5 roplotfan

roplotfan
  • Members
  • 6 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Samsung Galaxy S II
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 12 September 2013 - 09:48 PM

What I don't understand is why sometimes I can get it back on and sometimes I can't without going into recovery. It's not like it never turns on again, but I'm not sure whether it's rebooting or what. Today it has been working fine, but I want to have an idea of what's actually going on. Now I'm begining to think it was shutting it down because if it was just turning off completely how could I get to recovery mode? That doesn't make any sense.

Edited by roplotfan, 12 September 2013 - 09:57 PM.

#6 bassmadrigal

bassmadrigal
  • Administrators
  • 12912 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Nexus 4
  • CM Version:
    10.2 Nightlies
  • Recovery Image:
    TWRP

Posted 13 September 2013 - 12:28 PM

View Postroplotfan, on 12 September 2013 - 09:48 PM, said:

Now I'm begining to think it was shutting it down because if it was just turning off completely how could I get to recovery mode? That doesn't make any sense.

I'm not sure what you mean by this. You can get into recovery no matter how the device was shut down. Whether you start it properly by holding the power button, or by pulling the battery. Either way, it is the same process of getting into the recovery.

#7 roplotfan

roplotfan
  • Members
  • 6 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Samsung Galaxy S II
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 16 September 2013 - 04:24 PM

What I meant is that if I was still able to turn on the phone and get into recovery mode, then the issue isn't the phone turning off. It's really just shutting down and rebooting. Today the same issue happened and I could turn the phone on for a few minutes but then it would shut down again. One thing I noticed is that a message displayed after I started a call. First my phone lost its connection to the AT&T network. The screen flickered while this happened and then it shut off. I went into recovery mode (ClockworkMod) and chose to reboot the phone, but it never rebooted until I turned it on myself a few hours later. For the time being I'm using an old cell phone. I'm not sure whether I should just go back to stock or what.

Edited by roplotfan, 16 September 2013 - 04:27 PM.

#8 bassmadrigal

bassmadrigal
  • Administrators
  • 12912 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Nexus 4
  • CM Version:
    10.2 Nightlies
  • Recovery Image:
    TWRP

Posted 17 September 2013 - 12:46 PM

I realize that, but serious system problems should NOT lead to a shutdown/power off. Only a reboot. If you have to manually start your phone, then it powered off, which is not a good sign. The only reason your device should ever power off is if you told it to shutdown or the battery ran out. Any system problems should should, at worst, cause a reboot.

#9 roplotfan

roplotfan
  • Members
  • 6 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Samsung Galaxy S II
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 19 September 2013 - 06:21 PM

Alright then. I have decided to just go back to stock. If it still happens, is it okay to post it in this thread?

#10 bassmadrigal

bassmadrigal
  • Administrators
  • 12912 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Nexus 4
  • CM Version:
    10.2 Nightlies
  • Recovery Image:
    TWRP

Posted 19 September 2013 - 06:24 PM

Yes. Good luck.

#11 Cyril279

Cyril279
  • Members
  • 18 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    SGH-i777
  • CM Version:
    10.1.3 Stable
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 19 September 2013 - 06:42 PM

These issues sound like they could be resulting from a power switch or usb charge port going bad -It's fairly common in the I777 phones.  Some have reported success with contact cleaner, and others have shipped them off to be handled more professionally, but If going back to stock firmware doesn't correct the issue, then I would certainly take a look at the hardware issues mentioned.

-Cyril