Welcome to CyanogenMod

Welcome to our forum. Like most online communities you must register to post, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the CyanogenMod Forum by signing in or creating an account. You can even sign in with your Facebook or Twitter account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Download files attached to the forum.
  • Customize your experience here
  • Share your CyanogenMod experience!
Guest Message by DevFuse

Android 4.4 - Kitkat

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 wingnut144

wingnut144
  • Donators
  • 120 posts
  • Twitter:wingnut144
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Samsung Galaxy S3
  • CM Version:
    10.2 Nightly
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 03 September 2013 - 10:16 PM

Well, it has been announced.....no Android 5 (at least for a while)......sounds like the next version is going to be called Kit Kat......

http://abcnews.go.co...ory?id=20146239

#2 bassmadrigal

bassmadrigal
  • Administrators
  • 12912 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Nexus 4
  • CM Version:
    10.2 Nightlies
  • Recovery Image:
    TWRP

Posted 03 September 2013 - 10:42 PM

It definitely is KitKat.

http://www.android.c...tkat/index.html

#3 dantom

dantom
  • Members
  • 12 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Android
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 04 September 2013 - 08:38 AM

That would become 10.3 then I guess.

Assuming Google releases it soon, how would it influence Cyanogenmod's release cycle? 10.2 is not even beta yet

#4 bassmadrigal

bassmadrigal
  • Administrators
  • 12912 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Nexus 4
  • CM Version:
    10.2 Nightlies
  • Recovery Image:
    TWRP

Posted 04 September 2013 - 11:51 AM

No, this will be CM 11.0. CM ups the primary number whenever there is a new dessert name.

CM3 = Cupcake
CM4 = Donut
CM5 = Eclair
CM6 = Froyo
CM7 = Gingerbread
CM8 = **skipped since there was no source for Honeycomb until after ICS was released**
CM9 = Ice Cream Sandwich
CM10 = Jellybean
CM11 = KitKat
CM12 = **whatever the next one is that starts with L**

And CM never releases "beta" ROMs (alphas and betas typically come from developers before the device has official nightlies). It is either nightlies, M-releases (usually monthly), release candidates, and stable. Most likely, they'll put out a stable version of 10.2 right around when the code drops for KitKat, and then they usually won't do much more for the current release (10.2) and will just work on the newer one.

#5 dantom

dantom
  • Members
  • 12 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Android
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 04 September 2013 - 07:09 PM

View Postbassmadrigal, on 04 September 2013 - 11:51 AM, said:

No, this will be CM 11.0. CM ups the primary number whenever there is a new dessert name.

CM3 = Cupcake
CM4 = Donut
CM5 = Eclair
CM6 = Froyo
CM7 = Gingerbread
CM8 = **skipped since there was no source for Honeycomb until after ICS was released**
CM9 = Ice Cream Sandwich
CM10 = Jellybean
CM11 = KitKat
I thought it was tied to the version number. But if it depends on the code name, a new number would be logical of course.

And CM never releases "beta" ROMs (alphas and betas typically come from developers before the device has official nightlies). It is either nightlies, M-releases (usually monthly), release candidates, and stable. Most likely, they'll put out a stable version of 10.2 right around when the code drops for KitKat, and then they usually won't do much more for the current release (10.2) and will just work on the newer one.
Assuming 4.4 will be out soon that would mean 10.2 will be "stable" very soon too, much quicker than 10.1, wouldnt it?

#6 bassmadrigal

bassmadrigal
  • Administrators
  • 12912 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Nexus 4
  • CM Version:
    10.2 Nightlies
  • Recovery Image:
    TWRP

Posted 04 September 2013 - 07:56 PM

Definitely tied to codename. CM 5, 6, and 7 were all in the 2.x series of Android (2.0/1, 2.2, and 2.3 respectively), and CM9 was running on 4.0.

CM never announces ETAs, so I can only speculate, but I don't expect 4.4 source to be available until November. So CM still has a a few months to continue with development of 10.2.

#7 HGUser991

HGUser991
  • Members
  • 69 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Samsung Captivate
  • CM Version:
    10.1.3-captivatemtd
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 07 September 2013 - 06:10 PM

CM3 = Cupcake
CM4 = Donut
CM5 = Eclair
CM6 = Froyo
CM7 = Gingerbread
CM9 = Ice Cream Sandwich
CM10 = Jellybean
CM11 = KitKat

An unfortunate break with tradition.  Previously they have steered clear of brand names while staying with the tasty treat theme.  Are they getting advertising money from Hershey's for branding with a Hershey brand?  My recommendation for a next version after K is Lemon Drop.

#8 wingnut144

wingnut144
  • Donators
  • 120 posts
  • Twitter:wingnut144
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Samsung Galaxy S3
  • CM Version:
    10.2 Nightly
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 07 September 2013 - 08:17 PM

No money changed hands,  sounds like they just have a marketing agreement

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

#9 bassmadrigal

bassmadrigal
  • Administrators
  • 12912 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Nexus 4
  • CM Version:
    10.2 Nightlies
  • Recovery Image:
    TWRP

Posted 07 September 2013 - 09:01 PM

View PostHGUser991, on 07 September 2013 - 06:10 PM, said:

An unfortunate break with tradition. Previously they have steered clear of brand names while staying with the tasty treat theme. Are they getting advertising money from Hershey's for branding with a Hershey brand? My recommendation for a next version after K is Lemon Drop.

Meh, I don't see what the big deal is with the name. This is great publicity for Android and I hope it will cause the majority of consumers to push for newer versions of Android for their older devices. Right now, it is mainly the techies that care about running the latest and greatest. Ask 90% of Android owners what version of Android they are running, and I'd be they don't know. They probably don't even know it follows dessert names. With this, there is advertising on KitKat bars for Android, and I'm sure Google will find other ways to get the information out there that there is a new Android version available (they are, after all, in the advertising business). Then hopefully consumers will start clamoring for their devices to be running KitKat instead of being happy with what is currently there.

And the fact that no money exchanged hands for this deal makes it even sweeter (pun intended :) )

#10 SaltWater

SaltWater
  • Members
  • 7 posts
    pt - Portugal
  • Device Model:
    SE WT19i
  • CM Version:
    Cyanogen 10
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 02 November 2013 - 11:46 AM

The real question for Cyanogen mod community is will it be a official re-support of older 512MB phones since it seems Android KitKat is lighter and efficient!?

#11 van helsing

van helsing
  • Members
  • 1 posts
    ba - Bosnia and Herzegovina
  • Device Model:
    Motorola mb200
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 02 November 2013 - 01:02 PM

KitKat for Motorola MB200? Possible?

Tapatalk 2

#12 JeeperDon

JeeperDon
  • Members
  • 25 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Galaxy Nexus CDMA
  • CM Version:
    CM 10.1.3
  • Recovery Image:
    TWRP

Posted 08 November 2013 - 02:36 PM

The Toro device (Galaxy Nexus for VZW) is apparently not supported on 4.4, due it seems to no graphic chip driver from TI.  Other ROMers have 4.4 for the Toro out there, Baldwin's Shiny being a top runner right now, but all 4.4 ROMs on Toro have graphic/reboot issues as expected.

Is their a CM11 dev team working on 4.4 yet?  If so, are they working to understand and fix the problems so 4.4 can work cleanly on a Toro?

Edited by JeeperDon, 08 November 2013 - 02:38 PM.