Welcome to CyanogenMod

Welcome to our forum. Like most online communities you must register to post, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the CyanogenMod Forum by signing in or creating an account. You can even sign in with your Facebook or Twitter account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Download files attached to the forum.
  • Customize your experience here
  • Share your CyanogenMod experience!
Guest Message by DevFuse

Super Noob Done Messed Up

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 M2490311

M2490311
  • Members
  • 19 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    mb886
  • CM Version:
    10.2 with nightlies
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 14 August 2013 - 08:53 AM

I rooted my mb886 and was fine, and then I flashed CM 10.1 which I understand is still being developed, but I cannot for the life of me understand where my files are and how to extract them which isn't so much a concern. My big problem is that it took me off of my network provider and I can't get any calling or texting access. My status says I'm connected to ATT but my phone number and imei and status are all offline, and I have been searching for a correct answer as to an exploit that will allow me back onto the att grid so I can call and text and have a phone as well as a badass mod. My root is very weird and I got the cymod 10.1 using clockwork mod v6 and my mod is getting nightlies. I'm delerious from researching Samsung every time I Google anything, and every video I've watched was less than helpful. If I got knocked off by my own mistake, is there a way to get running by playing dumb or taking precautions regarding my mods? And when I boot into recovery with either one of my SD cards (one is a replica of my last fully functional phone with root) the recovery keeps saying the files aren't found. I've done a lot of research and have nothing as my mod is the stable version of of the Droid RAZR with the mb886 spoof. It says my device is not an mb886 when I pull the "about phone" queue and I have USB debugging enabled. Beers to whoever can help me fix this issue. I know I messed something up or missed something and I cannot find what it is, or how to ask intelligently as I'm still mostly new to this. Please help me and then skewer me later. I can't seem to link to the app store either...so I'm either missing something or I messed up but either way its rendered me stupid.

#2 bassmadrigal

bassmadrigal
  • Administrators
  • 12912 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Nexus 4
  • CM Version:
    10.2 Nightlies
  • Recovery Image:
    TWRP

Posted 14 August 2013 - 02:21 PM

What instructions did you follow to get CM on your device? What version of ClockworkMod do you have installed? Did you perform a Factory Reset/Data Wipe?

As to your app store issue, did you flash the gapps package? It is required to get access to the Play Store since CM can't legally include it. http://goo.im/gapps

#3 M2490311

M2490311
  • Members
  • 19 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    mb886
  • CM Version:
    10.2 with nightlies
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 15 August 2013 - 09:49 AM

View Postbassmadrigal, on 14 August 2013 - 02:21 PM, said:

What instructions did you follow to get CM on your device? What version of ClockworkMod do you have installed? Did you perform a Factory Reset/Data Wipe?

As to your app store issue, did you flash the gapps package? It is required to get access to the Play Store since CM can't legally include it. http://goo.im/gapps
I would like to first thank you for taking the time to respond to this query and for holding off on skewering my stupidity, I really appreciate it, and maybe this can provide insight because the MB886 and CM10 are weird animals at the moment. I will try to be as detailed as possible in my response which I hope doesn't piss you off so badly that you drive to my house, and slap me in the face with my PS3. I am long winded, so if there is ever any specific information that you will need up front, please let me know to save you time and trouble. But first, I do have a slight contribution based on a gamble...And I won it. And so can anyone.  So bassmadrigal, please skip until you see the line divider for my little "discovery" unless you care to read, and please bear with me, as rooting has become a new hobby and I've been learning through many trials, errors, misspent $$$ on the play store, and just risking my phone to get a feel for how to fully grasp and understand all of this stuff despite not having been taught Linux which I don't feel is unreasonable, seeing as one click roots exist because people like you take the time, people like me research it and try to learn, and some get it on the spot, while others end up in my shoes. So thank you again for your help and hopefully we can get this fixed. That way I can just do a half ass root that looks stock with limited functionality to the phone that will be sent back. (If you play it as described below)

1. Yes, posted below
2.6.x.x (the latest six I believe PLUS SS which seems to have been the catalyst in this mess, just as it was my last.
3.Yes
4. I do not know but believe so but will get right this second.

Phone replacement by playing dumb, and getting your SIM's GMS Settigs if you are really good______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
The silver lining is that I have found a slight loophole is for those in the situation that I am in, but they MUST be under warranty as in and if ATT has caused you many problems, that helps, because I had more problems pre root than post root and never would have upgrade in the first place if they didn't move my numbers to long distance towers and took six months and four phones, all stock in doing so, but I digress, by under warranty within the period specifiedI mean the following (per ATT rep spoken to from 9pm to 1145):

No cracks, dings, chips, water damage, corrosion around the USB inputs etc (I never knew of the input telling water damage based on appearance until I took my soft bricked, unlocked, rooted and (this is the second time Safe Strap has put me into a bind and I do not understand) chipped phone to my ATT SERVICE/REPAIR center that is up the road, and they gave me a brand new Atrix HD (MB886) which I rerooted using the old motopacalypse one-click root in the hopes that I would get this far)

Here is what a person in my situation CAN do if they are willing and able and want to at the very least, get their APN settings (mine were empty so either I underestimated Cyanogen 10...well, I know I did that and/or I did something wrong) and can even get the rep to tell them that IT IS ABSOLUTELY POSSIBLE according to the ATT technician, to go to a service center and do a phone swap, that because they swap refurbs that I either got hacked or that I received a previously rooted phone at the ATT service center last month but you must posess people skills, and you must know how to play just bat-____ stupid and also be smart about the order in which you present what you have on Cyanogenmods menu settings, versus the stock settings, and you have to constantly say stuff like "yeah...this is so weird. I know for a fact that my last one was ICS based, but this new Jellybean thing? It's like a whole other menu to me, and this is all foreign. All I do is get a phone, press the buttons that came with the directions, but this new Jellybean, on my MOTOROLA ATRIX HD (never name model numbers and never name the model number of the phone that is spoofing your version of CyanogenMod 10.1 until it is brought up, and if it is brought up early, you better get stupid real fast)  just stick with this formula on the phone:

"I don't know what this is, I don't know what that is, I just came back from out of country and my phone is all jacked up and it said something about APN's;" I told them my friend had something similar happened last year when he went to Thailand, something about his Int'l roaming and his APN numbers for his SIM and he called tech and they just walked him through manually re-entering them and he was fine" but you still have to play dumb about the settings. Pretend you are a ditzy soccer mom. Be vague but not too vague and voice the "I have no idea, is Jellybean or whatever it is like this? My last one was like Ice Cream Gingerbread and was totally different."

SO BE SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOPID. I stressed it so hard because I can't stress it enough. If you do what I did above, then you will have a replacement sent via priority mail which gives you ten days to either leave your old one alone, settle on your root abilities with what you have available and find a way to render the phone that is in your hand and modded ten days to be rendered inoperable so your story matches.

At the very least- you get a replacement, and if you play it right, you SIM APN settings (I have mine written down) as a bonus. Either way, if you are covered, play dumb, and play it right, you will get a new phone mailed out AS LONG AS IT IS MADE CLEAR THAT IT STARTED ACTING UP AFTER A WEEK, AND WHEN YOU DID A HARD RESET, IT JUST GOT WORSE, (no keyboard, homescreen won't work, this don't work, LTE? Battery bar? What is it supposed to say? I don't pay attention to that stuff at all") FROM there...That explains your "igonorance, and alibi as to why **** is all jacked up, and I dared to roll the dice and gave him my listed model number (XT926) and version (4.2.2) after I had him all wrapped in my stupidity. And That's how I got the APN settings too to troubleshoot based on my friends who left the country story.

So at the bare minimum, I have a new phone coming, and I have 10 days to go with it. They'll suggest new sims, NO. DO NOT ALLOW THAT MODDED PHONE INTO THEIR HANDS. They can't see your phone boot with the unlocked bootloader screen and Cyanogen boot screen from a warehouse like the will at a store and are as jacked up as I am. So use mail and keep some functionality until the new one is here and/or yours is fixed or back to stock, so you can mess with one or both...BE STUPID.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

bassmadrigal, I will start with your questions, as they are displayed by my phone, and then run a list:

Background after last wipe (my sim never seems to die until now.) that has pertinent details:

1.) I rooted MotoChopper one click, got a TON of store bought gadgets that outside of next, didn't do anything soft bricked and hard reset and went with last known working configuration that I had memorized.

My last reset, I did the Motopocalypse (with the unlocked bootloader) one click, got my SU apps, OTA rootkeeper, Titanium Backup, FileSweep, Droidwall (which I still can't seem to interpret, like if I do not allow texting through by blacklisting it, does that mean that anyone can read my texts or does it mean they are secured?) and I have comodo residuals. I also have root checker, ES file Explorer and Task Manager, I have maybe 3 busy boxes, quickboot pro, and apparently a disabled Safe Strap Recovery which caused problems. My current recovery is clockwork version 6.1.x (latest six)

I went here: http://forum.xda-dev...75#post34592575

Followed step 1. Did it from my device via goo.im launched into SS and batch backuped my working rom and backed it up in slot one.
Then I followed directions in link two, and it launched into SS which said "disabled, continuing in, and I pressed recovery and I am locked into CWM 6.1.x

2) I do not recall because I lost almost my entire mobile newtwork funtionality on even with Wifi turned on. And it is hit and miss, sometimes, I can get web access with Mobile Data on, sometimes not, I can receive but not send texts, I can make some calls, sometimes, other times not, I get "SIM ERROR/NO NETWORK" when trying to place a call and others, nothing happens but the screen goes black. It's very spotty. One moment, I am in network, one I am not, it's bizzarre, and I know SS recovery had SU permission, as I ran my pre CM10 root backup in slot one.

So can I get gooaps installed via USB debug? And what are my options? As it sits I have a badass mod with so many customizations that I obviously need tutorials on, limited mobile data to none, home wifi is fine and home wifi has no impact on mobile data and spotiness.

My phone number is always "unavailable" but it shows on mobile caller ID's. I am on the ATT 4G LTE network normally. I can't say if it's a settings issue, a Download issue, or what.

And the last two wipes were a reset/backup phone from the phone, inside CM10 followed by an app and date erase in CWM 6.1.x with a reboot to recovery where I wiped once more and rebooted. And the bootloader unlock screen pops off, and it goes straight into CM 10.1.

Not a complaint, as I am covered regardless because I played my cards right but if I can't get CM10 up and running like a boss, I would at least like to find a way to get back to my last working config. I have the CM10 terminal emulator and I cannot run linux codes unless I am told how because I don't know code that well sans your old "myspace html edits" which wasn't difficult when it was taught and image based.

I will download the last two links at the end of the provided thread pending your response and caning/skewering/PS3 facepalm.

And I really do appreciate it.

My "About Phone" section right now, is this:

Status
CM updates (currently set to check for them daily, and update types I have set to New Versions (stable only)
CM Stats with reporting enabled.
View Changelog (haven't touched it)
Legal
Model Number (XT926 but my phone is an MB886)
Android Version 4.2.2 (I was 4.1.1 when I rooted and I was rooting a messed up phone from the beginning which I had wrking before I bit off CM10.1 and got over my head)
Baseband Version: Vanquish_bp_100730.1XX.6X.XX.P (all caps, sorry)
Kernel Version: 3.0.87-g8671ca5
[email protected]#1
Sun Jul 28 16:XX:XX XDT 2013
CPU:ARMv7 Processorrev0(v71) or lower L
Memory:808 MB
CM version
10.1-20130728-UNOFFICIAL-xt296
Build Date
Build#
Selinux status: Permissive?

_______________About

Network: AT&T
Strength- good.
Service State: In Service
Type: LTE:13
Not roaming
Mobile Netowrk State: Disconnected
My # Unknown
MIN: Unknown
PRL: Unknown
MEID:000------------------------------
IMEI: Listed numerically
ICCID: Unknown.

When Wifi is connected, it pulls my Ip and Wi-Fimac, etc

Aside from not knowing if I downloaded the last ones on the link, have I provided enough for you or provided it in a way that you might know where I am screwed up?

Also, I manually set the APN while on another phone with a tech and it is active. When I have a ? next to any listed app or phone related stuff, I don't know what it is. I do have SU, I do have the Terminal Emulator and no acess to actual phone files but that file manager that I am having serious problems understanding.

I also have data and wifi set to on, autosynch, GPS off, text-to-speech is off, my quick settings are 2GI2G+3G (I do not know what to pick as I am 4g LTE?)
I also have the following checked in the quick settings panel:
Alarm
Bug Report
IME Changer?
USB Tether

Flash mode is set to high on widgets

No device admin set?

Unknown sources off for now.

No Credentials or Certificates from SD card

Privacy guard on...

Language and inputs are default

No account added yet as I am treating this like it is new and broken.

Auto Time and Time Zone on

No Enhanced Web Accessibility options allowed at the moment

Have not messed with launch tools since today when I did the onboard reset

No bug reporting enabled yet

Password just enabled for desktop backup

Advanced reboot is on

HDCP only checks for DRM content ATM? (Do I need to change)

Root Access is Apps and ADB

No debug app set????

Animation 5x

Force GPU Rendering is on

Force 4x MSAA is checked

Simulate Secondary Displays is off and I will not touch it unless told otherwise.

Traces off.

SU set, no policies yet, Apps&Adb, Passcoded, Logging enabled, 20 second timout, prompt, only apps that declare permission right now.

Storage on 2.0 Gig SD (external) 1.27 out of 2 available)
Internal storage, 5.05 GB used. 2.26 available

My Launcher appears to be Trebuchet 1.0

All cell broadcasts are off
Network Mode is GSM/WCDMA

CDMA roaming is set to auto
Access point was empty and att tech added mine using wap.cingular and it's set to that APN right now.

2g only off???

Network operator, sometimes I get an error when I search, sometimes, I'll get ATT/T-Mobile/"310661" (or a didgit sequence) another ATT/ and another Tmobile to choose from if I do an auto choose,  and it either connects or not. If I choose search- I get an error. If I Choose automatically, I get a scan and then a menu that I just listed sometimes.

Holy god...that took 3 and a half hours, but that is basically my phone, as it sits right this second...

And it is driving me insane. Lol. Thank you so much for your time and for your patience and it is very appreciated. =)

#4 M2490311

M2490311
  • Members
  • 19 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    mb886
  • CM Version:
    10.2 with nightlies
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 15 August 2013 - 10:30 AM

And now I am plugged in on github, working bottom to top....On my 2 GB sd card...not my 8 that has files...

#5 bassmadrigal

bassmadrigal
  • Administrators
  • 12912 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Nexus 4
  • CM Version:
    10.2 Nightlies
  • Recovery Image:
    TWRP

Posted 15 August 2013 - 06:37 PM

Wow... I think it took me 3 1/2 hours to read through all that ;) That is probably the longest post I've read on this forum. And I hate to follow up your super long post with just a handful of questions, but hey, that's the way it happens sometimes.

First off, with all the radio/network/wifi issues you're having, it leads me to think your radio might be out of date. I'd head over to the xda forums and see if you can find what the latest radio/baseband version is for your device and then flash it. I don't know how to verify what you are currently running since it doesn't show up in the phone's status, but many devices will show it in the bootloader, so yours might as well (or possibly safe strap).

Also, since it has been extremely busy on the forum the past couple of days (due to the 10.2 rollout), I've been limited on time. Would you be willing to compare the instructions you followed with the official ones from the wiki to see if there are any major differences (http://wiki.cyanogen...ll_CM_for_mb886)?

As to getting gapps on your device, if you had fastboot working before so you could flash the recovery (which the CM instructions require), you likely have adb as well. If so, you can use the following command to push a file onto your device from the computer.

adb push "c:\location\to\gapps.zip" /sdcard/

And then you should be able to flash that using recovery (but I'm not sure it will solve your radio problems, hopefully there'll be a radio update that will).

#6 M2490311

M2490311
  • Members
  • 19 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    mb886
  • CM Version:
    10.2 with nightlies
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 15 August 2013 - 09:42 PM

View Postbassmadrigal, on 15 August 2013 - 06:37 PM, said:

Wow... I think it took me 3 1/2 hours to read through all that ;) That is probably the longest post I've read on this forum. And I hate to follow up your super long post with just a handful of questions, but hey, that's the way it happens sometimes.

First off, with all the radio/network/wifi issues you're having, it leads me to think your radio might be out of date. I'd head over to the xda forums and see if you can find what the latest radio/baseband version is for your device and then flash it. I don't know how to verify what you are currently running since it doesn't show up in the phone's status, but many devices will show it in the bootloader, so yours might as well (or possibly safe strap).

Also, since it has been extremely busy on the forum the past couple of days (due to the 10.2 rollout), I've been limited on time. Would you be willing to compare the instructions you followed with the official ones from the wiki to see if there are any major differences (http://wiki.cyanogen...ll_CM_for_mb886)?

As to getting gapps on your device, if you had fastboot working before so you could flash the recovery (which the CM instructions require), you likely have adb as well. If so, you can use the following command to push a file onto your device from the computer.

And then you should be able to flash that using recovery (but I'm not sure it will solve your radio problems, hopefully there'll be a radio update that will).

Lol...my head was spinning on it's axis when trying to explain, so I finally just relegated myself to setting/copying my phone and posting it's guts.

View Postbassmadrigal, on 15 August 2013 - 06:37 PM, said:

I have little to say, said no one...lol.

I followed those instructions but I did a motochopper root, then Motopacaplypse and my bootloader is unlocked, and I have fastboot buried somewhere, but I think I messed up when running all of those github links. I installed F-Droid in the interim to see about other options (I am haphazard at times) and I got droidwall on there but I am about to try this ADB Push...I can't say with honesty what all I have on my phone right now because it's acting stupid. I followed the first step exactly, the second set,

This is the first I am seeing of this that I recall, but it's been a trying month. I do know my phone is unlocked and so is the bootloader, and the only recovery I can seem to get into period is CWM 6.0 and every time I try to apply this or apply that (internal and external memoroy) I get nothing but "File not found."

So now I shall pull a "Stab Alex Trebek in the Back" by answering a question with two. :P (And I'm so glad this board is similar layout to my Boxing forums I had admin rights to long ago, at least THAT, I am familiar with...

1) So is there a general matrix for plugging in a phone and issuing commands to the phone through my CMD promomt menu (a barney-styled breakdown type of tuorial for basic functioning for dummies type of thing)

2) What is this pre built release further down on the wiki? Installing from recovery? I won't mess with it but am curious about it.

I honestly though, cannot say with certainty what the whole picture looks like because I may have received a rooted phone replacement. First things first tho...

Bootloader screen reads exatly as follows when I restart into bootloader:

AP Fastboot Flash Mode(S)
10.9B(*) (sha-2e68372, 2012-11-17 23:33:08)
eMMC Info: Size 8GB

Device is UNLOCKED, Status Code:3

Battery: OK

Connect USB
Data Cable

Fastboot Reason: Rebootto bootloader.

^^^Verbatim.

I also * -_- :facepalm: * am running on windows 8 and it escaped me because when I messed up my last phone using SS recovery and a pair of programs meant for my phone, someone distracted me ( which happened here with SS recovery to a degree, and people wonder why I become agitated when I am learning/researching something new, and something that can break an OS that I halfway rebuilt from scratch despite knowing little about IT aside from what my brother showed me, or who walked me through and how and what I have learned and been able to apply thus far.) and I *grazed* the wrong button and it compressed my laptop bootmanager which is Win 7 home premium (32 bit) and this borrowed PC is Windows 8.

So I failed to mention that because I got used to seeing a regular desktop image and not all that crazy assed windows 8 bootup stuff.

I am going to see if I can nab (dammit, I can't think of it, it's by sirius and it is the rebooter with the blue outline and the yellow lignting bolt, I feel so stupid because the program is on the tip) the quick boot hooyah via the repository on F-Droid.

This is so odd...lol.

also, do you play the bass guitar by chance?

and last night, I set my SELinux status to enforcing and today, it seems to have reverted back. And if I can make or receive calls, it is spotty all over...wifi or not. I'm about to enter my CMD prompts.

Edited by M2490311, 15 August 2013 - 09:32 PM.

#7 M2490311

M2490311
  • Members
  • 19 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    mb886
  • CM Version:
    10.2 with nightlies
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 15 August 2013 - 10:39 PM

I did CMD Prompt and entered the entire code string, verbatim. And then when I just input c:\location\to\gapps.zip"/sdcard/ (copying and pasting without the first quotaion mark,  I get an error stating that /sdcard/ is not regognized as an internal or external operable program or batch file. I can just feel my stupidity dripping off of me like a sweat hog wears his thirst in public.

I did CMD Prompt and entered the entire code string, verbatim. And then when I just input c:\location\to\gapps.zip"/sdcard/ (copying and pasting without the first quotaion mark,  I get an error stating that /sdcard/ is not regognized as an internal or external operable program or batch file. I can just feel my stupidity dripping off of me like a sweat hog wears his thirst in public.

#8 M2490311

M2490311
  • Members
  • 19 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    mb886
  • CM Version:
    10.2 with nightlies
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 16 August 2013 - 03:09 AM

Dude...this is possibly one of the most bizzarre things I have seen...Is there a way to downgrade or get this version off and get maybe version 9 working or get 10.0 or something that is still CM, and tried and true and works on my phone? If it cannot be done without permanently rendering the device inoperable, so be it, as I do have another atrix coming in and I am going to make sure that I do it the right way and get back to a better build state, and not do something like this which was more than I could chew...

#9 bassmadrigal

bassmadrigal
  • Administrators
  • 12912 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Nexus 4
  • CM Version:
    10.2 Nightlies
  • Recovery Image:
    TWRP

Posted 16 August 2013 - 06:13 AM

Ok, in reading through, it looks like your computer does not have adb/fastboot set up on it (at least not properly). See the below link to hopefully help with that.

http://dottech.org/2...-android-phone/

Or if it is set up, then you aren't point it to the correct location of your recovery image (when I stated "c:\location\to\recovery.img", I literally mean you need to find where your file is located and put that full location, along with the filename, between those quotes).

1. There is a huge reference page for adb (and fastboot if you click on it on the left side) on Google's developer site (you like reading, right? :P). If things are confusing, there are likely thousands of other pages that can be found via Google that may be able to better explain it. There are also basic pages in the CM wiki on both adb and fastboot.

http://developer.and...s/help/adb.html

2. The "prebuilt release" is just referencing one that was already compiled (any of the ones at http://get.cm are pre-built) vs compiling one yourself (it can take several hours depending on the speed of your computer).

The format of the adb command I was having you run is adb [command] [local] [remote], so to break it down, adb is the program. The command we are telling it to do is "push" which will push the files you specify in the local field to the remote field. Local is the direct location to those files on your computer. You can drag and drop the file on the command prompt and it will fill it out automatically. If there are spaces in any of the folders/filenames, the whole thing needs to be surrounded in quotes. The remote is the location you want it on the device. Most likely, /sdcard/ will be a good place to put it. There needs to be spaces between adb, command, local, and remote so adb knows which parts are for what part of the command.

As to a previous version, no, this device was only recently added to CM, and because of that, there aren't any previous builds available. So you will only have CM 10.1 and up.

I think I answered everything... oh wait, no, I don't play the bass guitar. I sang bass in Madrigals back in high school. I picked the screename part way through highschool and have stuck with it ever since. It's never been used on any site with one exception. Wells Fargo. So when I went to create an account online to manage my mortgage, I couldn't use the same screename that I prefer. I wasn't too happy about that.

#10 M2490311

M2490311
  • Members
  • 19 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    mb886
  • CM Version:
    10.2 with nightlies
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 16 August 2013 - 10:07 AM

Riiiiiiiiggggggght....So I wiped the data, and wiped ever cache I could think of, and when I rebooted, not only did my model number revert, but I am now on CyanogenMod10.2-nighlty so I guess it is g :blink:  app time...

Riiiiiiiiggggggght....So I wiped the data, and wiped ever cache I could think of, and when I rebooted, not only did my model number revert, but I am now on CyanogenMod10.2-nighlty so I guess it is g :blink:  app time...

Best WTF moment of my month...

#11 M2490311

M2490311
  • Members
  • 19 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    mb886
  • CM Version:
    10.2 with nightlies
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 18 August 2013 - 04:15 AM

Okay...so now i have a phone that works and one with CM 10.2 on it that I guess miracled it's way on with nightlies. I am still not grasping this much to my despair. But- my warranty phone works and I refuse to delve into CM on that one unless it just means that I have to re mount my SIM card....

or SD

But I am basically in need of a super idiots guide to CM 10.2 and what it will and will not do. I also have two other SIMS from the same carrier.

#12 bassmadrigal

bassmadrigal
  • Administrators
  • 12912 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Nexus 4
  • CM Version:
    10.2 Nightlies
  • Recovery Image:
    TWRP

Posted 18 August 2013 - 07:00 AM

I have no idea the status of CM 10.2 on your device. It is working great on mine...

#13 M2490311

M2490311
  • Members
  • 19 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    mb886
  • CM Version:
    10.2 with nightlies
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 19 August 2013 - 12:12 AM

View Postbassmadrigal, on 18 August 2013 - 07:00 AM, said:

I have no idea the status of CM 10.2 on your device. It is working great on mine...

Sorry for the delay in responding- I was setting up my other phone and when I do sim switches, the phone will make and receive calls, it just says that my network state is disconnected and it went from CM 10.1 to 10.2 overnight...I'm just having issues unzipping anything at the moment and when I click on a zipped file, it says unable to open. I've also been running trials and errors using the terminal emulator per your instructions. When I put my sim in (now that I have it in a "new phone") the CM 10.2 phone, and toggle my wifi off (I have two atrix HD's at this moment but I've a week to fix one or break it without showing any physical damage) it shows that I am in network, connected, etc. I have it plugged into my PC, I DO get gmail messaging services though...

I will try to help you by listing (short list) my about phone area, and my downloaded apps I could get on there thus far, and the remaining issues I am having that I know of (Thank you for being so patient with me- I am a "difficult" person in general and it's something I cannot control.

Okay...

So...

About phone: (keep in mind that I have gmail set up on both phones, both are on wifi (same connection) and I keep the CM 10.2 plugged into my PC with debugging on, and reporting is enabled, and I am receiving notifications from gmail on BOTH phones. The working phone has goo.im installed, it has Rom Manager (I have not flashed any CWM or TWRP) and many other apps that I wonder if they can be transferred. The working device was rooted with Motopacalypse and I flashed the fake "Your bootloader is unlocked fakey screen." so i can tell the fully working phone apart from my godlike phone. So if that can help in any way- will you please let me know? I 1-clicked the second Mb886 with motopocalypse because my brain is so shot from phone stuff (and then there is PC) that I'd be lying if I told you I was confident in the latest root method for stock 4.1.1's

So that is where I am at (again, I am run down so please bear with me.)

______________________________________________________________________________________

CModded 10.2 phone: Everything about in a "not 3 hour list mode =P"

CM stable updates are set to check 2x daily.

CM reporting is enabled

I do not know how to interpret my changelog...

Legal- nothing

MODEL: MB886
Android Version: 4.3 (jellybean)
Baseband version: MB886_BP_100740.071.071.XX.XXP (X= number that I left blank if it matters, please advise)
Kernel Version: 3.0.90-g015fdbd
   build01@cyanogenmod#1
   Wed Aug 14 01:58:05 PDT 2013

CPU: ARMv7 Processor rev 0 (v71)
MEMORY: 808 MB (and this part is hard for me)
CyanogenMod version: 10.2.-20130814-NIGHTLY-mb886 (so it appears that my nightlies are also updating and are up to date thus far)
Build Date: Wed Aug 14 01:41:24 PDT 2013
Build Number: cm_mb886-userdebug 4.3 JSS15J
   eng.jenkins.20130814.014051 test-keys

SE Linux- It cannot decide if it wants to enforce or be permissive...
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The status- all good, just says my mobile muber is "unknown" but my sim recognizes everything else.

USB debugging- on. Location- off. Sim Card- works sans that one issue which is about as hard as setting up my own profile...
I did notice that I lost root access on my CM 10.2...No SU access...I'll get to that and I am trying to go fast as I can for you as I know you're busy and you are doing a great service by helping me out- you'd understand if you knew me well. Thank you.

I was unable to access my Gmail until a day or two ago from this device
Root access seems to be gone, lost or missing.
I killed many bloat apps so I have whatever it is I have as far as system apps.

Downloads that were successful: (USER- all but one is Fdroid)
F-droid (which is what I am using until I can get google play back up and running...got gmail...no play. Lol.)
ADW Launcher
AppLocker (icon is a golden lock)
aSQLiteManager (Icon is 3 white "pancakes" stacked up)
Google Authenticator (Silver Icon with a steel bolt themed "G" icon.)
CACertMan (gold jagged circle with check mark inside)
cm-nightlies (duh)
FAST App Search Tool
File Manager
Lil' Debi
OI File Manager
Root Verifier (the puke green android man acting like a pirate)
SafeStrap (NLA on play store it seems and refuses to open)
SMS Droid
Superuser

Issues that I am having dahhhh....issues? With? Hahahahaha:

Cannot find my root (it was rooted then "unrooted" itself, so if I have those permissions back I may be able to have something to work with between both of our work in troubleshooting.)

I cannot use my F-droid DL's...I have both SU apps set for apps and adb, with and without declared permissions, 20 second lock, pin protected. Both SU's.

Cannot unzip anything because I don't have root priveledge any longer on that phone?

Got Gmail working but no google play. Can't install zipped downloads.

I am set up on my wifi, so if there is a way for me to give you access to my device remotely, that can allow you to look over it, I'll be happy to to put one of the two phones on the proverbial chopping block because one has to go back anyhow.

And also, when I boot into recovery, it seems like there are places in the recovery menu that has missing files like it is cool, and others where there is all kinds of weird stuff going on. Can I use my current SD with it's backed up user programs and pop it into the CM10 phone, boot into recovery, and see if I can extract apps from there?

Thanks again for your help and you've taught me more in two days than I have learned in over a month if anything. The Terminal Emulator is good to go, but I still have trouble with the commands.but nothing crippling yet. =)

And I can't risk my other phone just yet, so I am hoping to fix this CM 10.2 phone that is a model match within the next 4-6 days.

#14 bassmadrigal

bassmadrigal
  • Administrators
  • 12912 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Nexus 4
  • CM Version:
    10.2 Nightlies
  • Recovery Image:
    TWRP

Posted 19 August 2013 - 06:20 AM

Wait, why do you have two SUs installed? You only need the one built into CM, which is accessed via Settings -> Superuser. To get rid of the other one, you'll probably have to format the /system partition from within recovery and then perform a Factory Reset/Data Wipe followed by reinstalling CM (and this would be a good time to install the gapps package from http://goo.im/gapps so you can get the Play Store). I'd assume this should fix your remaining problems.

#15 M2490311

M2490311
  • Members
  • 19 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    mb886
  • CM Version:
    10.2 with nightlies
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 19 August 2013 - 08:06 AM

View Postbassmadrigal, on 19 August 2013 - 06:20 AM, said:

Wait, why do you have two SUs installed? You only need the one built into CM, which is accessed via Settings -> Superuser. To get rid of the other one, you'll probably have to format the /system partition from within recovery and then perform a Factory Reset/Data Wipe followed by reinstalling CM (and this would be a good time to install the gapps package from http://goo.im/gapps so you can get the Play Store). I'd assume this should fix your remaining problems.

Well...I either did something really wrong or possibly right but either way, right now, the ONLY thing my device recognizes is Clockworkmod 6.0.1. (whatever six is most recent) so worst case, I can boot into CWM but...I lost my SD card on my balcony so if I wiped my entire OS...meh- I have a file that will reinstall it if needed but since I only have acess to three menus and nothing to lose (I do have my other SD card with Goo.Im and alll that other stuff) so if anything, I'll plug and try to reapply the zip or I'll just reload the OS and wait until I have a better working knowledge of CM 10.2 and send this device back, and I covered my bases so....here goes something I guess...

#16 M2490311

M2490311
  • Members
  • 19 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    mb886
  • CM Version:
    10.2 with nightlies
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 20 August 2013 - 12:16 AM

View Postbassmadrigal, on 19 August 2013 - 06:20 AM, said:

A non 3 hour response (pls read, especially my last) and FINALLY, I CAN ASK A VERY SIMPLE YES/NO QUESTION THAT IS MY LAST ONE!!!! :P :ph34r: :lol: Ok...two really but both are so rudimental at this point that I am sure you would be able to say "It is this and that, and only this and that."

Well, boss...sure enough, I rendered the old phone inoperable when I lost that SD card which didn't matter regardless so meh, and I semi-bricked my new phone, BUT-After all of the typing and VERY USEFUL information, shove came to push and push came to shove as something must have happened with my working device that had every damned app I could think of and also had goo IM blah blah blah. Something happened to it that cased the launcher then settings, and all kinds of **** to stop working. So by now I am thinking "well s___, now I have an inoperable phone and a semi bricked device so F___ IT. I've run too many gauntlents in trying to attain my holy grail god mod in CM anything that my hundreds of hours of learning to your thousands spent developing so f___ it. I'll sell one of my basses or pawn a pair of my better cymbals and buy a pair of brand new phones (I've had nothing but nightmares with AT&T for a year and 6 phones and 4 numbers later, with three roots- which I'd have never done if those morons corrected themselves in a timely manner by NOT moving my cell cumber to a tower that is 50 miles north of here and taking 6 months to "figure it out" I would still have my launch iPhone 4 with the 4.1.x (that 6.0 was just heinous) and not have a two year updrade and all that stuff that cost me so much that I need to bill them and not the other way around seeing as they screwed it all up initially. I digress- I finally said f___ it and took the replacement phone, looked up YOUR instructions on 10.2 and also quadruple checked that I had the CURRENT Gapps/rom flash (10.2-20130817-NIGHTLY-mb886) and I did exactly as follows with my new phone (when I did the wipe on the other CM10.2 phone and lost the SD, I bricked it so hard that it would only give me an unlocked bootloader screen loop and only when plugged in so if anything- I managed to make it inoperable to the degree I complained about. Bottom line- I took the gamble but the first attempt, I did not wipe any cache or davlik or data and installed CM 10.2 directly from my external XD. My phone locked into the CM screen for 20 minutes and said "ohhhhhhh.....shhhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmog....I did it again and followed EVERYTHING" , I googled it, and very nervously wiped the cache/data/davlik/hard reset (I should point out that my only CWM recovery on my phone model mb886 has always been CWM 6.1.4 (rom manager devaults at Version 5 obviously) and then followed your instructions about getting CM 10.2 by flashing the latest known goo.im version, which mine is listed above. After the wipe/davliks/cache- I installed that version per your instruction, and BLAM!!!

My REPLACEMENT is running CM 10.2 now, and my only issue is that it says I am in network but in "about phone" it says "unavailable" while all else id connected which leads me to my questions that are simple, my sincere thanks to you, and after that, I will post a super noobs "how to" provided they follow every instruction given and it is based on one-click rooting as opposed to that crazy ubuntu stuff that I don't even wanna think about . Bottom line, I am about up and running, play store, check. Words apps. Check. Gmail Sync, check. All I have NOT opened or touched is the ATT setup because I am afraid of f__king everything up if I do. I still seem to have some mobile issues and my contacts are wiped but my vital fucntions work.

Sooooo...is it safe to use that ATT partner BS? I don't want to call customer support unless I must.

And when new stable nightlies come out, do I just install and restart or do I have to wipe data/cache/davliks again?

I cannot even begin to express my true gratitude towards you for helping me when you didn't have to even be bothered; I was a grunt in the Marines and I rarely complain, I rarely compliment anything, and seeing as I was a grunt, I have retarded expectations (when I do have them, and they seem retarded because my expectations are so little in general as it is, I digress, I cannot begin to thank you for ALL of your help and all of your time, especially seeing as you are probably doing this (assuming, I know- sorry)  on your free time and could have easily told me to f___ off, but you didn't and you were very responsive and very helpful and if you're ever in TX, I'll take you out and be your driver (I don't drink)  on top of it, if you wish to paint the town. I get paid soon and I will make a donation for your time and your patience and drinks are on the house if you're ever around because you went above and beyond and you were not rude to me one time. Thank you very, very much for ALL of your time, patience and help. I'll be a tick on a coon dogs ass if anyone ever tries to tell me or you that you are not a decent person or that you are not helpul. If they said unhelpful I'd probably punch them in the throat or pass the napkin dispenser right to their nasty grapes.

Thank you so very much.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Now...to all of my other super noobs who want CM 10...This is as USMC Barney Style as it will get. And If you act like it is MY fault that YOU rooted, I have just two words and a stern warning: If some whacko from the internet shows up on my door because he is mad at me because he messed up his own device, I will defend my family and I will walk away. So do at your risk, and only your risk, and if anything goes wrong, it is your fault. Why do you think I was polite to bassmadrigal? HELLO MCFLY, BECAUSE I SCREWED MY **** UP, NOT HIM, MEANING MY FAULT AND NOT HIS. If I came here popping off like he owed me anything, hell, I dunno, for all I know he could have remote wiped my entire device if he wanted. He does the hard work so you don't have to. So be courteous to those who are helping you and doing so when they don't have to, and try to have as much info as possible at your disposal.

STEP ZERO************************
Do a shitload of research. This mod is a very powerful one and if you do not learn about this stuff before doing it, you can end up where I was which was just shy of eating two phones at full retail at the very BEST, not worst which is you bricking the **** out of your phone. So...Here is what I did to finally (if you have scrolled through this thread and read it, then you know that you had damned well better know at least something or at least understand and if you made it this far, then you're either in a difficult or unusual place or are just not ready, just as swim wasn't and still am not in certain areas. This mod is NOT anything like getting a next launcher and screwing with a bunch of themes. This mod is very, very, very powerful.  CM 10.2 is not a ***** and it can kick your ass if you do not pay attention or know what you are doing. So be careful. If you are in mah shoes or similar or even same, this is what worked for attempt two which is an overall success thus far.*******************************

1- Used the old one click root using motopacalypse

2- (optional) Installed the motorola unlocked bootscreen logo

3- Installed Titanium, Rom Manager, Goo Apps and every single thing I could think of that was listed in this thread. Also made sure to set a recovery with rom manager using the CWM flash on the Motorola Photon Q (aka ASANTI) which is written just beneath in the device listing on ROM Manager. Eye was having too much trouble with the damned TWRP but that was because I outdated myself on purpose. That flash (CWM in ROM Manager using the Photon Q "asanti" as your device name in the "show models" menu will give your MB886 CWM 6.1.x.4 which is a good thing to have right out of the gates when you root.

4-  Also installed root tools such as rootchecker, Trickstermod (very helpful mod) and OTA Rootkeeper and naturally SU. (****NOTE- DO NOT ADD ANY OTHER SU PROGRAMS TO CM 10.2, IT HAS AN SU BUILT IN. YOU WILL LOSE ROOT ACCESS. SEE ABOVE THREAD****) My current OTA rootkeeper no longer supports my software for obvious reasons. Rooted in 4.1.1 and was stuck there on purpose and rooted that way on purpose because it's fast for swim, familiar, and takes a "duhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh" and a few mouse clicks, and if anything, it reverts swiy to JB 4.1.1 which seems to be stable regarding an "easy way." to get CM 10.2.

5- I backed all my stuff to external XD, dropbox, and even a PEN AND PAPER for my APN info...AND IMPORTANT...GET APK AND SDK INSTALLERS AND GAPPS. THE LASTEST GAPPS. That is why I am acting this way.

6.- I backed up my working phone.

7. I backed it up again.

8. I backed up my phone.

9. I backed up my phone.

10. (if it hasn't sank in, stop reading- you're gonna' mess up.) I BACKED UP MY INFO.

11. I opened ROM Manager and when I went to the CWM recovery section where it asks you to choose your model number (MB886 is NOT listed, don't fret the message- it's a warning and not a flash prompt) and under settings (while in the "select model number screen")  you'll choose "show all devices"

DO NOT (unless otherwise noted) use the model called "Motorola Atrix 4G aka Olympus" to flash a ClockworkModRecovery. You will need to select the "Motorola Photon Q aka ASANTI"

ASANTI- do not forget those words if you one click rooted into 4.1.1 and are running Rom Manager.

Pick the Motorola Photon Q...and it says "asanti" right underneath.

12. After flashing the CWM recovery (6.1.x.4) you are good to go regarding having something other than a stock recovery...In fact, that should be one of the first things you do- especially if you one-click rooted and downgraded.

13: You MUST get goo.im from the play store. Since you are downgraded to 4.1.1 if you one-clicked with motochopper/motopacalypse, those other programs should show up in the play store. You must also get the latest version of CYMod10.2 (I downloaded mine stright to my phone) in a zip. Then you will get the latest GAPPS zip which is plastered all over this forum. This thread even.

14. If you have no goo.im, and no gapps, you're basically screwed. The goo im and GAPPS basically "spoof" GP into thinking you aren't running something that is not stock and GP/Motorola has really cinched down on root, root apps, play store etc, so if you do NOT have the LATEST GAPPS, Stop what you are doing, get goo.im from play store, if you're on an MB 886, it says you can't do this this and that. Okay...google "latests GAPPS for CM 10.2" and it will take you directly to the link. I believe in ends in 0813. Get your LATEST GAPPS and dowload right to your device with your goo.im app. Also download the CM10.2 zip.

15. Backup, research more, and pay attention to what you're seeing.

16. Have the latest GAPPS zip downloaded. The repositories are weird when you one click due to you being out of date- just google the latest ones or perv the forums. It HAS TO BE THE MOST RECENT.

17. Download the CM 10.2 zip to your device. (enable USB debugging and I allowed intallations from unknown sources)

18. Reboot into recovery (it will default to CWM 6.x.x.x)

19. install the CM 10.2 zip.

20. Install latest gapps (steps 19 and 20 are done in CWM recovery.)

21. You may or may not have to wipe data/cache/davliks and that is covered in the next one. Before you wipe anything, BACK UP THAT EXTERNAL SD, ALL USER and STYSTEM APPS. BACK IT ALL UP TO EXTERNAL STORAGE, Cloud, anything. Everything. SAFELY UNMOUNT YOUR SD CARD THAT IS BACKED UP.

22. Keeping phone on your charger, let the little android man do his thing, don't touch your phone, and then it will boot, and then you will see a round wheel that is animated and blue that says the name of the mod right in the center. It usually takes 3-5 minutes for the phone to boot into a generic looking menu. If it does, then DO NOT INSTALL SU. If the boot wheel is spinning for 20 minutes like mine was (which had me worried) then reboot into recovery, wipe data/cache/davlik. Then you want to mount your external storage. Re-apply the zips in recovery but do so with external SD card.

The phone will reboot, and it SHOULD work fine for the most part, expect bugs, as this is a new build experiment, and don't expect 100% of android 4.3.3 operationality just yet either. These projects are ONGOING. As I said- unless noted otherwise, these are the steps that worked for me based on a TON of help from Bassmadrigal and research...

And being a dumb noob who learned a few things.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

And again, Bassmadrigal- thank you so much for all of your time, and my only two questions are about the ATT thing and with new versions on my nightlies, do I just install and it goes right to the phone applying itself, or do I have to wipe/reset/ and apply current stable from recovery. Those are my last two qestions and man...That wringer taught me more about computers in a week than I have learned in years (My brother who is never available is the IT guru, I'm the rock and roller.) and now you have me all learning about Linux codes and stuff that I never thought I would.

Now I wanna root my PS3. Hahahahahahahaha...not...Well...unless it can run PS4 engine emulators? :P Thanks again man. You have no idea.

#17 bassmadrigal

bassmadrigal
  • Administrators
  • 12912 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Nexus 4
  • CM Version:
    10.2 Nightlies
  • Recovery Image:
    TWRP

Posted 20 August 2013 - 05:10 AM

I feel like I should start with some joke about the Air Force and Marines, but I think it would just ruin the moment ;) I'm in the Air Force and am stationed at Langley AFB in southern Virginia. Prior to that, I was in Germany for 5 years. Where are you in Texas? I have a friend in Lubbock and another friend stationed at Ft Hood. And I'm not a drinker either, although at some parties, my friends would've guessed otherwise since I can have a ton of fun sober :)

But I'm glad you finally got everything working. Unfortunately, I have to ask a question (well, maybe two) for clarification of your first question. What is the ATT Setup? Is it on the Play Store? Can you link it? (Ok, I guess 3 questions) Most likely you don't need it, but it may be able to provide you certain features if you are using AT&T for your provider. T-Mobile provides these apps on the Play Store, and I personally see no reason for me to install them, because I don't care about what they provide (when my bill is do, it's autopay; what my current usage is, unlimited everything; etc).

The next is a very simple answer. Within the 10.2 builds, you should be able to flash any newer build without needing to wipe anything (and you don't need to flash every nightly... you can skip them no problem as every build is a full ROM). You can use the very simple built-in updater to do this under Settings -> About Phone -> CyanogenMod Updates. When upgrading CM, the goal is to never cause you to need a wipe. They know how important that Angry Birds (Candy Crush, or whatever else is the popular game) game can be and they don't want to create extra work for you. Unfortunately, there are times when you upgrade that you may need to do more than just the built-in updater, but typically, this is only when jumping versions (like when going from 10.1 to 10.2). Usually, at a minimum, you'll need to manually flash a newer gapps package, otherwise you could not have access to your Play Store, all the way to bootloops. So if you ever see a version jump, hit up the forums and see what people are saying needs to be done. I will do my best to keep the How Do I Update CM thread up-to-date with any new releases (the next big one will likely be CM11 when Google releases Key Lime Pie). (Haha... I just realized I said this would be a simple answer, but it is ridiculously long... I think you might be rubbing off on me).

And I just want to clear something up. I have not written one bit of code for CM. Unfortunately, I don't have the mindset to be a programmer. However, I have found I tend to be great at Tech Support, so I kinda just became the unofficial Tech Support for CM through this forum. All the kudos for what is running on your phone goes to the CM dev team. I started out knowing nothing about Android 3 years ago, but after a few months with my Nexus One, I started getting my tinkerers itch. I looked into rooting (since I didn't want to void my warranty by unlocking the bootloader), and then came across CM and figured out how to install it. For probably about a year, I just sucked in information on the forum while rarely posting. Over the course of time, I got more familiar with CM and was able to help people out with their problems more and more. So there's a lot of people who helped me get to where I am today. But I definitely do appreciate the kind words.

#18 M2490311

M2490311
  • Members
  • 19 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    mb886
  • CM Version:
    10.2 with nightlies
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 20 August 2013 - 08:19 AM

View Postbassmadrigal, on 20 August 2013 - 05:10 AM, said:

I feel like I should start with some joke about the Air Force and Marines, but I think it would just ruin the moment ;) I'm in the Air Force and am stationed at Langley AFB in southern Virginia. Prior to that, I was in Germany for 5 years. Where are you in Texas? I have a friend in Lubbock and another friend stationed at Ft Hood. And I'm not a drinker either, although at some parties, my friends would've guessed otherwise since I can have a ton of fun sober :)

But I'm glad you finally got everything working. Unfortunately, I have to ask a question (well, maybe two) for clarification of your first question. What is the ATT Setup? Is it on the Play Store? Can you link it? (Ok, I guess 3 questions) Most likely you don't need it, but it may be able to provide you certain features if you are using AT&T for your provider. T-Mobile provides these apps on the Play Store, and I personally see no reason for me to install them, because I don't care about what they provide (when my bill is do, it's autopay; what my current usage is, unlimited everything; etc).

The next is a very simple answer. Within the 10.2 builds, you should be able to flash any newer build without needing to wipe anything (and you don't need to flash every nightly... you can skip them no problem as every build is a full ROM). You can use the very simple built-in updater to do this under Settings -> About Phone -> CyanogenMod Updates. When upgrading CM, the goal is to never cause you to need a wipe. They know how important that Angry Birds (Candy Crush, or whatever else is the popular game) game can be and they don't want to create extra work for you. Unfortunately, there are times when you upgrade that you may need to do more than just the built-in updater, but typically, this is only when jumping versions (like when going from 10.1 to 10.2). Usually, at a minimum, you'll need to manually flash a newer gapps package, otherwise you could not have access to your Play Store, all the way to bootloops. So if you ever see a version jump, hit up the forums and see what people are saying needs to be done. I will do my best to keep the How Do I Update CM thread up-to-date with any new releases (the next big one will likely be CM11 when Google releases Key Lime Pie). (Haha... I just realized I said this would be a simple answer, but it is ridiculously long... I think you might be rubbing off on me).

And I just want to clear something up. I have not written one bit of code for CM. Unfortunately, I don't have the mindset to be a programmer. However, I have found I tend to be great at Tech Support, so I kinda just became the unofficial Tech Support for CM through this forum. All the kudos for what is running on your phone goes to the CM dev team. I started out knowing nothing about Android 3 years ago, but after a few months with my Nexus One, I started getting my tinkerers itch. I looked into rooting (since I didn't want to void my warranty by unlocking the bootloader), and then came across CM and figured out how to install it. For probably about a year, I just sucked in information on the forum while rarely posting. Over the course of time, I got more familiar with CM and was able to help people out with their problems more and more. So there's a lot of people who helped me get to where I am today. But I definitely do appreciate the kind words.

Oh smack, I live in Houston and hate it...lol. At least you aren't a sailor who has a remedial job that entails anything other than calling us "Dumb Jarheads." Lol.

I had mine set to stable checks daily but I just ramped it to check for updates every week, and that is good info to know because Goo.im works with this build, the 8013 update, but searching the actual goo app can be a chore if your device "is not supported" so I'll make sure to check my gapps before I get any build updates installed via the built in updater installed.

As far as the ATT stuff, it's the "my AT&T" tab and I installed it from google play with my gmail account that is synched to the CM 10.2 rom with the 8013 coded (last 4 digits) Gapps package that is up right now (I almost flashed picassa by mistake) and I wasn't sending/receiving texts until I disabled the built in CM 10.2

And I have a dumb one...that may clear things up, I was unable to send texts/receive until I had a hello McFly moment and removed the privacy guard on texts, so I am going to try that with with my contacts and such as well as I am SIM protected and know for a fact that the contacts are there.

So that leads me to a couple of easy ones:

Do I need android firewall if I am using privacy guard, and if I disable the privacy guard on texts and calls, once I have my contacts, will they be "safe from intrusion (being stock) and if not, what is the best app you can think of for secure texting/calling that is compatible? I'm a really reclusive type of person and just want to ensure that nobody can just up and hear my calls unless they have a reason to which they don't- I am just a very reclusive person who doesn't like intrusions.

The texting and calls work as long as I have them disabled in the privacy guard but is it nicely secured or is android firewall a good backup/unecessary? I liked comodo but it's residual pimsecure files were always headache-worthy because they would always screw eith another app. If no extra security is necessary other than security guard, does droidwall need to come down?

And my ATT hooyah, it's built in google play that is installed and unsynched- as far as the actual ATT network, I am 4G/LTE (Right now it reads LTE)

AT&T
signal is on 0dBm 99 asu (wifi is on)

In service

Not roaming

State is disconnected, but it always does that when wifi is on

My Phone number:

Unknown (always been like that)

IMEI:

356XXXXXXXXX3XX

IMEI SV

0X

(the exes are blank #'s when wifi is off but they are the ones for this particular phone)

My service Icon either does or does not have bars and reads 4G right outside of the bar. (on the top of the screen)

So lol...either it's my privacy guard, a build non-issue, or my failure to link the myAT&T app but I may not have that info at the ready as it is either my yahoo or a master account run by pops...Tough to say for me.

So in short- I dl'ed MyATT app, I have privacy guard enforcing all rules (all of the shield icons are whited in and not blacked out so if that's backwards...yikes if I didn't have android firewall I think,,,,) and when I blacked out texting, it worked on the fly, so I will run that test first, and look at textsecure or a similar app...

And check the latest Gapps too.

Man, I can dig that- I can't knock a man who takes on hobbies in his free time and takes the time to absorb and grasp and understand these concepts until they are second nature. I am similar but I move really quickly out of habit so unless I am grasping it, I am just being a parrot in the meantime. A very long winded one. (Writing 3 books and working on a treatment for a show and I am a drummer and a bassist.) Lol... I respect those who want to learn is what I mean.

My friend got booted from the Air Force when he was between deployments with a DH but he got so hosed (he did screw up though) because he and three other airmen hooked up with some locals and popped some x tabs and the one who got tested popped and instead of swallowing it, he and his long time friend decided to put it all on my friend and you already know the UCMJ...2 against 1 wins, just like an Officer wins against enlisted if there is a physical relationship and the officer gets burned and be nasty about it (sexual harassment now, but two weeks ago it was "sex-in-her-ass-with-mints.")

He still has some shells from MK 19's and 50 cal casings in a tube with some sketches (field) maps, sand and when he opens that sucker, you get that nice cordite odor like the one you got the first time you fired an M-16...Sweet sweet smell to me. It's to me what Napalm is to LC Kilgore in "Apocalypse Now." Lmao. Moto boner no homo.

Thank you so so much again.

#19 bassmadrigal

bassmadrigal
  • Administrators
  • 12912 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Nexus 4
  • CM Version:
    10.2 Nightlies
  • Recovery Image:
    TWRP

Posted 20 August 2013 - 07:40 PM

I'm not really sure what all is available for secure calling. As far as I know, the only way to secure calls is to install an app on both devices and then make the call (Red Phone can do this). Same thing with SMS messages (Text Secure by the same company as Red Phone). CM is working on a secure SMS solution, but I don't know how long it will take for them to finish it. When it is finished, any CM device you text will be secure and they plan to have apps for both the Play Store and iOS available.

I actually haven't used Privacy Guard at all. If I'm worried about what information an app might be collecting, I just won't install the app. And that is why I don't have a firewall either. So I'm probably not one to give you advice on what is needed to be done to secure your device. But as to needing a firewall if you are using Privacy Guard. It depends on what you are using that firewall for. Typically, older firewalls are used to keep people out. Years ago, firewalls changed to not only blocking incoming traffic, but to also prevent outgoing traffic unless you allow it. Most software firewalls now provide this feature. If you are using a firewall for the latter, it probably isn't needed if using Privacy Guard. If you are using it to prevent people from hacking into your phone (remotely, which isn't very likely on a cell phone, but still possible), then Privacy Guard won't help with that, and it'd probably be beneficial to have a firewall. For the majority of users, I wouldn't suggest a firewall if you are limiting access to those questionable apps with Privacy Manager.

But my thought is, who would want to listen to my calls or read my texts? And trying to sort through the millions of users and billions of minutes and texts that are sent is not possible. For the standard user, they don't have anything to worry about. Now, if you are a suspected terrorist or major drug dealer, then I could see being a bit more paranoid as there might actually be a reason to listen/read their private stuff, but the hoops needed to get everything secured just isn't worth it, especially since both ends need to be secured for it to work.

#20 M2490311

M2490311
  • Members
  • 19 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    mb886
  • CM Version:
    10.2 with nightlies
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 21 August 2013 - 12:37 AM

View Postbassmadrigal, on 20 August 2013 - 07:40 PM, said:

I'm not really sure what all is available for secure calling. As far as I know, the only way to secure calls is to install an app on both devices and then make the call (Red Phone can do this). Same thing with SMS messages (Text Secure by the same company as Red Phone). CM is working on a secure SMS solution, but I don't know how long it will take for them to finish it. When it is finished, any CM device you text will be secure and they plan to have apps for both the Play Store and iOS available.

I actually haven't used Privacy Guard at all. If I'm worried about what information an app might be collecting, I just won't install the app. And that is why I don't have a firewall either. So I'm probably not one to give you advice on what is needed to be done to secure your device. But as to needing a firewall if you are using Privacy Guard. It depends on what you are using that firewall for. Typically, older firewalls are used to keep people out. Years ago, firewalls changed to not only blocking incoming traffic, but to also prevent outgoing traffic unless you allow it. Most software firewalls now provide this feature. If you are using a firewall for the latter, it probably isn't needed if using Privacy Guard. If you are using it to prevent people from hacking into your phone (remotely, which isn't very likely on a cell phone, but still possible), then Privacy Guard won't help with that, and it'd probably be beneficial to have a firewall. For the majority of users, I wouldn't suggest a firewall if you are limiting access to those questionable apps with Privacy Manager.

But my thought is, who would want to listen to my calls or read my texts? And trying to sort through the millions of users and billions of minutes and texts that are sent is not possible. For the standard user, they don't have anything to worry about. Now, if you are a suspected terrorist or major drug dealer, then I could see being a bit more paranoid as there might actually be a reason to listen/read their private stuff, but the hoops needed to get everything secured just isn't worth it, especially since both ends need to be secured for it to work.

Lol...no I am not pushing or any weird crap like that...wouldn't be posting on here if I were. :lol: Nah, it's just to keep the neighbors from busting into my network like the ones downstairs who are using some jury rigged configuration that by the looks of my wifi analyzer doing something funky. My ass is broke as a joke, lol. I also found out about this app that I kept seeing in CWM called bug2go and when I read up about it, I had been staring at a PC for 14 hours and my old lady was being all pissy (even though I spent 3 hours renconfiguring my entife f*ing wireless configuration so she could have internet on her phone. After she asked me if and why it matters that she has multiple connection point.SSID's, she said "no that isn't it" so I just told her to google it, which never hapopens of course) I almost blew my top when I opened up one of my file cleaners, and viewed the screenshots that motorola was lift from my phone. I've seen a few other weird looking ones but I will get to them when I do.

Huge facepalm- I used goo.im and flashed 10.2 that matches the latest gapps, I was delerious when I called ATT and they were useless as usual...Do you know if the techs can tell over the phone if my devce is rooted? Or if there is any numbers I absolutely do not touch regarding builds and such? Or is it a "don't even go there" type of thing? My signal reads -0 DmB and 99 asu? And this one is really easy: I can't seem to locate any of my system apps that I can open such as the advanced control panel in my actual system...like they are hidden everywhere except for the actual app drawer.

Please excuse my laziness...I'm so tired it's stoopid right now and after I have this phone squared away, I have a laptop to fix and I have many hours on that as well. Lol. The reason I was asking aside from being a recluse is because I don't understand all of these concepts like firewall, SElinux states and how intrusion protection works just yet but I am getting there. It's also good info to know in general so the next time someone second guesses a question they obviously don't know the answer to, so I can tack the google answer onto their forehead for second guessing anything that they know nothing about and dismissing any honest and correct answer because they don't agree with it.

But I got a good lil jab in when I showed my gal that Moto Spy app and asked her if she remembered how full of it she said I was about these things as I showed her the screenshots of this build that I did not take.

So yeah the spy 2go....

If that is installed, it does need to go indeed.... :mellow: