Welcome to CyanogenMod

Welcome to our forum. Like most online communities you must register to post, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the CyanogenMod Forum by signing in or creating an account. You can even sign in with your Facebook or Twitter account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Download files attached to the forum.
  • Customize your experience here
  • Share your CyanogenMod experience!
Guest Message by DevFuse

After Cm 10.2, My Phone Is A Disaster

• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#1 RejZoR

RejZoR
  • Members
  • 129 posts
    si - Slovenia
  • Device Model:
    Samsung Galaxy S2 Int
  • CM Version:
    CyanogenMod 11 Snapshot
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 14 August 2013 - 07:07 AM

Half of the stuff didn't work, complaining i didn't have root, stuff closing, failed to connect to Google account etc etc, wanted to return to an older build like many times before and it just hangs at the "stargate" rotating thingie on boot forever. Awesome.

What can i do to make the damn phone work again!? I tried erasing cache and delvik, flashed the ZIP again and still just gets stuck on the rotating logo...

#2 verbosvn

verbosvn
  • Members
  • 4 posts
    si - Slovenia
  • Device Model:
    Samsung galaxy s2
  • CM Version:
    cm
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 14 August 2013 - 07:34 AM

I have the same problem. Apps did not work after I intalled todays build, tried to roll it back to a build from a few days ago that I had installed and which worked flawlessly. After install it got stuck on samsung logo, then I rebooted it and is stuck on cyanogen "stargate" logo.

#3 RejZoR

RejZoR
  • Members
  • 129 posts
    si - Slovenia
  • Device Model:
    Samsung Galaxy S2 Int
  • CM Version:
    CyanogenMod 11 Snapshot
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 14 August 2013 - 08:20 AM

Only way you can gain access back to the phone is the following:

Hold Volume Up + physical button (middle one) + POWER button, wait for CWM to show up, erase cache and delvik, go to install ZIP option and install this latest broken build again. It will still be broken, but at least you'll be able to make/receive calls.

I wonder if this build was even tested at all. I know it's nightly but god, this one is completely and entirely broken on so many levels it's ridicuous.

#4 verbosvn

verbosvn
  • Members
  • 4 posts
    si - Slovenia
  • Device Model:
    Samsung galaxy s2
  • CM Version:
    cm
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 14 August 2013 - 09:08 AM

Thanks Rejzor, I got it working again!

Hvala!! :)

#5 Pierre56

Pierre56
  • Members
  • 24 posts
    il - Israel
  • Device Model:
    GT-i9100
  • CM Version:
    CM10.2
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 14 August 2013 - 09:43 AM

I got the same issue ... could resolve it by booting in recovery mode: Hold Volume Up + physical button (middle one) + POWER button, then restoring a full Backup I made and stored in the internal SD card just before flashing the 10.2 zip.  The phone was restored just has before, with the last CM 10.1 working as all applications.

Now waiting for a better CM 10.2 .... As it was the first of it's kind, those things happends. After all those are "Nightly/Experimental" ... :)

#6 RejZoR

RejZoR
  • Members
  • 129 posts
    si - Slovenia
  • Device Model:
    Samsung Galaxy S2 Int
  • CM Version:
    CyanogenMod 11 Snapshot
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 14 August 2013 - 09:58 AM

I didn't make full backup, because restoring to old versions worked by just flashing old on top. But now it seems this isn't possible because of the transition from 4.2.2 to 4.3. Ugh...

#7 phishybongwater

phishybongwater
  • Members
  • 136 posts
    ca - Canada
  • Device Model:
    Galaxy SII i9100
  • CM Version:
    cm10 4.1.2
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 14 August 2013 - 10:59 AM

not sure if you guys are talking about the same build, since you didn't mention it, but I installed todays (8-14-2013) nightly and wow, what a crap fest, both my data and wifi would connect, and show as connected, but not work, no calls, no internet, no nothing, nothing.

Then, after a standard reboot, the phone started freezing in random places, first on the samsung splash screen, then again when trying to go into recovery mode, then while in recovery it was giving md5 checksum errors on my backup, which eventually restored and seems to be ok.

I get these are experimental, I get that these are nightlies and we are testers, but seriously, I didn't see anything in the changelog related to DATA / APN / WIFI so how on earth could this update be so borked?

#8 MikeViller

MikeViller
  • Members
  • 87 posts
    ca - Canada
  • Device Model:
    GT-I9100M
  • CM Version:
    CM10.2
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 14 August 2013 - 11:58 AM

if this any help I decide to update to the latest cm10.1 20130813 and the phone stop during the installation luckily when I reboot the phone finish the installation.

#9 phishybongwater

phishybongwater
  • Members
  • 136 posts
    ca - Canada
  • Device Model:
    Galaxy SII i9100
  • CM Version:
    cm10 4.1.2
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 14 August 2013 - 02:04 PM

cm10.1 20130813 isn't the latest,  cm-10.2-20130814-NIGHTLY-i9100.zip, and that appears to be causing problems for a few of us.  I was able to restore my backup thankfully, but 10.2 pretty much borked my phone up, radios connect but don't, apps won't open, reboots tend to freeze in random locations.

Yeah I'm holding on to cm10.1 20130813 until a reliable build of 10.2.  i don't mind jumping through hoops, but when the build literally disables all of my radios, gps, wifi, bluetooth, data, I already have an ipod ;)

#10 bassmadrigal

bassmadrigal
  • Administrators
  • 12912 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Nexus 4
  • CM Version:
    10.2 Nightlies
  • Recovery Image:
    TWRP

Posted 14 August 2013 - 02:34 PM

Did you make sure you flashed the Android 4.3 gapps? The 4.2 gapps don't work in 4.3. I did an update with my Nexus 4 without doing any sort of wipe (and that includes not wiping dalvik and cache which should never be needed). http://goo.im/gapps

And for root, due to the new changes with 4.3, you need to enable Root Access for both Apps and ADB under Settings -> Developer Options.

And anytime you update CM and it includes a major Android update, you should always make a backup... just in case.

#11 MikeViller

MikeViller
  • Members
  • 87 posts
    ca - Canada
  • Device Model:
    GT-I9100M
  • CM Version:
    CM10.2
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 14 August 2013 - 02:39 PM

View Postphishybongwater, on 14 August 2013 - 02:04 PM, said:

cm10.1 20130813 isn't the latest,  cm-10.2-20130814-NIGHTLY-i9100.zip, and that appears to be causing problems for a few of us.  I was able to restore my backup thankfully, but 10.2 pretty much borked my phone up, radios connect but don't, apps won't open, reboots tend to freeze in random locations.

Yeah I'm holding on to cm10.1 20130813 until a reliable build of 10.2.  i don't mind jumping through hoops, but when the build literally disables all of my radios, gps, wifi, bluetooth, data, I already have an ipod ;)

I know, I meant the lastest CM10.1 (4.2.2) before it gets to CM10.2 (4.3.x)

#12 RejZoR

RejZoR
  • Members
  • 129 posts
    si - Slovenia
  • Device Model:
    Samsung Galaxy S2 Int
  • CM Version:
    CyanogenMod 11 Snapshot
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 14 August 2013 - 04:23 PM

View Postbassmadrigal, on 14 August 2013 - 02:34 PM, said:

Did you make sure you flashed the Android 4.3 gapps? The 4.2 gapps don't work in 4.3. I did an update with my Nexus 4 without doing any sort of wipe (and that includes not wiping dalvik and cache which should never be needed). http://goo.im/gapps

And for root, due to the new changes with 4.3, you need to enable Root Access for both Apps and ADB under Settings -> Developer Options.

And anytime you update CM and it includes a major Android update, you should always make a backup... just in case.

Thank you for this info. I will do this asap and see how it goes. I will now also make full backups before updating major versions, just to be sure.

Btw, why isn't Root access set to Apps+ADB by default for this build if it's required as such?

#13 phishybongwater

phishybongwater
  • Members
  • 136 posts
    ca - Canada
  • Device Model:
    Galaxy SII i9100
  • CM Version:
    cm10 4.1.2
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 14 August 2013 - 04:23 PM

It would have been helpful for them to have included the fact that this was a major upgrade in the changelog, you know, like they always have in the past?  They didn't, I only noticed when reading through to the end some references to cm10.2 that's when it clued in.  I was expecting "this is the first build of this type for your device" or something, nope, just assumed it was another build and cooked my phone for breakfast.

I'm still baffled as to how it screwed the radios up that much, I'm used to them just being "off" but I've never seen that before, connecting, but not working at all.  Icons stayed grey, couldn't even get "emergency calls only" connection.

It would have been helpful for them to have included the fact that this was a major upgrade in the changelog, you know, like they always have in the past?  They didn't, I only noticed when reading through to the end some references to cm10.2 that's when it clued in.  I was expecting "this is the first build of this type for your device" or something, nope, just assumed it was another build and cooked my phone for breakfast.

I'm still baffled as to how it screwed the radios up that much, I'm used to them just being "off" but I've never seen that before, connecting, but not working at all.  Icons stayed grey, couldn't even get "emergency calls only" connection.

#14 bassmadrigal

bassmadrigal
  • Administrators
  • 12912 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Nexus 4
  • CM Version:
    10.2 Nightlies
  • Recovery Image:
    TWRP

Posted 14 August 2013 - 05:21 PM

View PostRejZoR, on 14 August 2013 - 04:23 PM, said:

Thank you for this info. I will do this asap and see how it goes. I will now also make full backups before updating major versions, just to be sure.
Btw, why isn't Root access set to Apps+ADB by default for this build if it's required as such?

I'm not sure, but this was well known with all the unofficial builds floating around.

View Postphishybongwater, on 14 August 2013 - 04:23 PM, said:

It would have been helpful for them to have included the fact that this was a major upgrade in the changelog, you know, like they always have in the past? They didn't, I only noticed when reading through to the end some references to cm10.2 that's when it clued in. I was expecting "this is the first build of this type for your device" or something, nope, just assumed it was another build and cooked my phone for breakfast.

As far as I can remember, previous changelogs never stated that they were moving to a new Android version. Maybe the occasional reference, but never a big announcement (but looking through the changelog for August 13th, I'm seeing a ton of references to 10.2). CM did say on their Google+ that they were rolling out 10.2 nightlies and that it required an update to gapps if you were running them. The problem is that 10.1 upgrades into 10.2 without a problem, unless you are running gapps. CM can't legally include the gapps, so the updater isn't designed to know if they require an update. It is something that you, as a user needs, to be aware of before you update.

#15 Bernardo Lima

Bernardo Lima
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 05:32 PM

Tried:

-Wiping Dalvik Cache
-re-flashing cm-10.2-20130814-NIGHTLY-i9100.zip via recovery
-Flashing GApps 20130813 (4.13)

Now I can:

-Make/Receive calls
-Connect to Google Services (Blue signal indicators)
-Use some apps (Facebook, Whatsapp, etc.)

Still can´t:

-Get root access
-Use some Apps (Youtube, Google Play Music, Snapchat, etc.)
-Install/Update Apps from Play Store.

Can´t find "Settings -> Development" to allow Root.

Found "System Settings -> Superuser -> <Menu Button> -> Settings -> Superuser Acces" but it no matter what I select, it doesn't change.

#16 RejZoR

RejZoR
  • Members
  • 129 posts
    si - Slovenia
  • Device Model:
    Samsung Galaxy S2 Int
  • CM Version:
    CyanogenMod 11 Snapshot
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 14 August 2013 - 05:50 PM

Installed Gapps but very little has changed. ANYTHING i try to download or update, just fails horribly, so i can't install anything and neither can i update anything. Not cool... any ideas what now?

#17 bob2

bob2
  • Members
  • 1 posts
    de - Germany
  • Device Model:
    Galaxy S2
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 14 August 2013 - 08:08 PM

View PostBernardo Lima, on 14 August 2013 - 05:32 PM, said:

Developer Settings have been hidden recently. You need to go to the "About" section in your settings and tap on your build version 7 times. The developer settings will then be visible just where they used to be.

My phone has not been a complete mess with 14-08-2013 CM10.2 update since I had done a factory reset in before anyways.
Though I had some minor hardware related problems such as apps telling me there was no access to the camera and a malfunction of the gyroscope.
Both could be cured by restarting my phone.
Also I noticed some new software issues as my lockscreen applications automatically align at the right side of the slider and the apps in my homescreen folders keep rearranging themselves. Some even got uninstalled out of nowhere.
Yet I can use my phone, so no bigger problems...

#18 bassmadrigal

bassmadrigal
  • Administrators
  • 12912 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Nexus 4
  • CM Version:
    10.2 Nightlies
  • Recovery Image:
    TWRP

Posted 14 August 2013 - 08:39 PM

View PostBernardo Lima, on 14 August 2013 - 05:32 PM, said:

Still can´t:
-Get root access
-Use some Apps (Youtube, Google Play Music, Snapchat, etc.)
-Install/Update Apps from Play Store.

http://forum.cyanoge...od/#entry402538

#19 RejZoR

RejZoR
  • Members
  • 129 posts
    si - Slovenia
  • Device Model:
    Samsung Galaxy S2 Int
  • CM Version:
    CyanogenMod 11 Snapshot
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 14 August 2013 - 09:22 PM

Well i can't use GooglePlay at all. It ALWAYS says "Error downloading X" and taht's it.

#20 bassmadrigal

bassmadrigal
  • Administrators
  • 12912 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Nexus 4
  • CM Version:
    10.2 Nightlies
  • Recovery Image:
    TWRP

Posted 14 August 2013 - 10:22 PM

Have you tried removing your Google account and re-adding it?