Welcome to CyanogenMod

Welcome to our forum. Like most online communities you must register to post, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the CyanogenMod Forum by signing in or creating an account. You can even sign in with your Facebook or Twitter account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Download files attached to the forum.
  • Customize your experience here
  • Share your CyanogenMod experience!
Guest Message by DevFuse

Heimdall Directory Closes Immediately

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 youngsmarttech

youngsmarttech
  • Members
  • 4 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    GT-P5113
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 07 August 2013 - 11:07 PM

I currently own a Samsung Galaxy Tablet 2 (10.1), model number GT-5113. I am trying to root my phone install the CyanogenMod Android. I am reading this article to flash and install: http://wiki.cyanogen...ll_CM_for_p5110

I have successfully downloaded the koush's ClockworkMod Recovery and the Heimdall Suite 1.4RC2 Command-line Binary (also installed the Microsoft Visual C++ 2012 Redistributable Package to have the correct installed drivers). I have also successfully installed the driver by using the "zadig" program into my Samsung Device. Now here is the problem:
The remaining article says to:
  • Place koush's ClockworkMod Recovery file into the Heimdall directory.
  • On the computer, open a terminal and run the following command from the Heimdall directory:
  •     heimdall flash --recovery recovery.img --no-reboot
  • A blue transfer bar will appear on the device showing the recovery being transferred.
  • You need now to manually reboot the phone into ClockworkMod Recovery mode by holding Volume Down & Power.
  • The Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 (Wi-Fi) now has ClockworkMod Recovery installed. Continue to the next section.
I did place the recovery file into the Heimdall directory and I open the heimdall application. However, it only opens for a split second. So, I don't know what to do.
Please help.
Thank You!

#2 bassmadrigal

bassmadrigal
  • Administrators
  • 12912 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Nexus 4
  • CM Version:
    10.2 Nightlies
  • Recovery Image:
    TWRP

Posted 08 August 2013 - 02:35 AM

You need to type that command on a command line. The heimdall program does not have a GUI and can only be interacted with in a terminal/command prompt.

#3 youngsmarttech

youngsmarttech
  • Members
  • 4 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    GT-P5113
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 08 August 2013 - 03:48 AM

I tried that, using the my Windows Command Prompt. I originally just type it in:  heimdall flash --recovery recovery.img --no-reboot. And it didn't work. Then I researched and saw you must be in the same directory to achieve that command. So, I did cd "folder name" each time until I got to my destination. I typed in the command it keeps telling me "'heimdall flash --recovery recovery.img --no-reboot' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file."
Question to Administrator: If I may ask, and I am new to the Forums, why is there a "posts' limit restriction"?

#4 youngsmarttech

youngsmarttech
  • Members
  • 4 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    GT-P5113
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 08 August 2013 - 04:09 AM

Suddenly, it works without the "incorrect command" response but now it's telling me is has failed. I was about to give you a visual picture however it's "not allowing this extension onto community!"The command prompt is running as administrator.

Here is the picture. If you can't zoom in without blur, go to this link: https://docs.google....dit?usp=sharing
Posted Image

#5 bassmadrigal

bassmadrigal
  • Administrators
  • 12912 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Nexus 4
  • CM Version:
    10.2 Nightlies
  • Recovery Image:
    TWRP

Posted 08 August 2013 - 04:28 AM

What image type were you trying to post? I think both .png and .jpg are both allowed, which are the two most common image types.

And what post limit restriction were you running into? We had to implement some due to massive spamming of the forum a little over a year ago. Depending on what restriction you hit, it may be worth revisiting the previous ones put in place (not guaranteeing that they will change, but we can at least look at the validity of whether we should keep them or not).

As to your issue, you need the recovery.img file in the same directory as heimdall, or you need to give it the full location of the file. You can do this easily by dragging and dropping the file onto the command prompt (you can do the same thing for heimdall rather than using cd to get to the directory). As an alternative, if you press and hold shift and right click on the folder containing heimdall, there will be an option to open a command prompt window here, which will automatically get you to the right directory.

#6 youngsmarttech

youngsmarttech
  • Members
  • 4 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    GT-P5113
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 09 August 2013 - 09:45 PM

So, I did drag and drop the heimdall application into the command prompt (running as administrator) and I got all this cool information. I then wrote down the command to "recover" but it said again that that command is not recognized. I entered the command like this below the executed program information: C:\>heimdall flash --recovery recovery.img --no-reboot. I don't know how to execute that command while under the directory of the heimdall application.
Thanks for responding Admin!

Also, responding to the restrictions, "You can make 10 more posts today. This restriction is in place until 10 August 2013 - 06:54 PM" It says that when I am creating a post.

#7 bassmadrigal

bassmadrigal
  • Administrators
  • 12912 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Nexus 4
  • CM Version:
    10.2 Nightlies
  • Recovery Image:
    TWRP

Posted 12 August 2013 - 01:11 PM

The command you have listed there would only work if the heimdall command is sitting at the base of your C: drive. You need to have the full path for both the heimdall command and the recovery.img file. If you continue running into issues, paste the whole command and error message. You can copy it to the clipboard by right clicking on the command prompt window, select "Mark", then select everything with your mouse and hit enter to copy it to the clipboard. Then just paste it in here.

As to the restrictions, there is a limit of 10 posts per day for new users. Were you running into any issues posting, or is this just a message that is displayed when you go to post (sounds like it is just to inform you of the restriction in advance of hitting it)?

#8 frontlinegeek

frontlinegeek
  • Members
  • 50 posts
  • Twitter:@jasonaaronprice
    ca - Canada
  • Device Model:
    Galaxy S3 (D2ATT on Bell)
  • CM Version:
    CM10.2 Stable
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 12 August 2013 - 11:09 PM

The issue is that you are using the example name from the command that they list.  You need to change the name on the left of the .IMG part.  That or rename the file to match the name used in the example command.

I rolled my Tab 2 10.1 a week after buying it and it is FAR better with CM than it was with stupid TouchWiz.

Good luck and have fun!