Welcome to CyanogenMod

Welcome to our forum. Like most online communities you must register to post, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the CyanogenMod Forum by signing in or creating an account. You can even sign in with your Facebook or Twitter account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Download files attached to the forum.
  • Customize your experience here
  • Share your CyanogenMod experience!
Guest Message by DevFuse

What's The Difference Between Stable, Snapshot, And Nightly?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 2row

2row
  • Members
  • 16 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Galaxy S III (T-Mobile)
  • CM Version:
    SGH-T999
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 18 March 2013 - 01:42 AM

I know this may be an easy question to answer...but I've been trying to figure this out since I've heard about CyanogenMod. Is there a difference? Does one seem to have more focus on quality, performance, or simplicity? I'd appreciate an explanation! A link to a thoroughly explained article will suffice, if that's easier.

#2 bassmadrigal

bassmadrigal
  • Administrators
  • 12912 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Nexus 4
  • CM Version:
    10.2 Nightlies
  • Recovery Image:
    TWRP

Posted 18 March 2013 - 05:40 PM

Stable is after all the features desired by the CM devs have been put in and the code has been tested. Snapshots (M builds) are builds done roughly once a month that has had some testing to make sure things are mostly working and released to the public. These are the first builds that allow official bug reports on the project manager site, https://jira.cyanogenmod.org. Nightlies are automated builds that are built, well, every night. There is no human interaction with these and they are largely there just to see if the code added throughout the day will compile. As far as the devs are concerned, there are no bad builds with the nightlies, because if it doesn't build, that is news to let them know that something is screwed up in the code. They don't accept any bug reports on these builds.

Generally, the nightly builds, while extremely experimental and considered bleeding-edge, tend to be relatively stable and mostly bug-free. Many people use the nightlies as their so-called daily-driver, meaning that any bugs that they may have aren't so severe that they want to switch to a different version. For my Nexus 4, as soon as I got it I switched to a nightly build and haven't had any bugs pop up.

Also, all builds are full builds, so if you switch to a nightly, you aren't required to flash every single nightly. You can do it as you see fit. I've been known sometimes to flash a build every day, but then I've gone a month in between updating. Just grab the latest version you want to flash and flash that one.

#3 2row

2row
  • Members
  • 16 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Galaxy S III (T-Mobile)
  • CM Version:
    SGH-T999
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 24 March 2013 - 06:16 AM

bassmadrigal, on 18 March 2013 - 05:40 PM, said:

Stable is after all the features desired by the CM devs have been put in and the code has been tested. Snapshots (M builds) are builds done roughly once a month that has had some testing to make sure things are mostly working and released to the public.
Generally, the nightly builds, while extremely experimental and considered bleeding-edge, tend to be relatively stable and mostly bug-free. Many people use the nightlies as their so-called daily-driver, meaning that any bugs that they may have aren't so severe that they want to switch to a different version.

Thanks for the reply! I have the Galaxy S3 and have been using 10.1-20130313-Nightly-d2tmo CyanogenMod version. It's only been about a week that I've been using this Nightly version and it's been a bit frustrating. My music skips like crazy, my Bluetooth does not work properly, I can never use 4g, my phone freezes sometimes when I make calls, text notifications won't work with the text messaging that's built into the ROM (so I use Handcent instead), the phone gets really glitchy when I open up a video or turn it to landscape, S Beam does not work, and if I actually sit for a few more minutes I can come up with a few more issues that I've experienced within the last week, but that's besides the point.

So, I was wondering what you would recommend for me. I simply want to use something that will not be so glitchy. The stock ROM is too boring and simple. That's why I wanted something like CyanogenMod.
Is the Stable and M Builds seem almost the same except when they're updated and offered to the public... Can you explain a little more on the difference between the two? I'm just trying to figure out which one best suits me...

#4 bassmadrigal

bassmadrigal
  • Administrators
  • 12912 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Nexus 4
  • CM Version:
    10.2 Nightlies
  • Recovery Image:
    TWRP

Posted 25 March 2013 - 05:37 PM

That certainly doesn't sound like normal operation to me. The only thing in your list that won't work is S-Beam, as that is strictly a Samsung feature, although, Android Beam, which is similar (and part of most if not all Android phones, should work fine. Have you tried a Factory Reset/Data Wipe on your phone? It is required when coming from stock. On my HTC One X (before I broke it), CyanogenMod worked 10x better than the stock firmware and I hardly ever had glitches and all my major features worked. With my Nexus 4, I only ran the stock firmware for as long as it took for me to get home from the store and install CyanogenMod, so I can't compare it to stock, but again, it has been running extremely smooth, and I have no complaints.

But, between the M and stable releases... originally, CyanogenMod would work for months towards getting a stable build out. But during all this time, there was no bug reports allowed. M releases are basically designed for something a bit more stable than nightlies, that allow bug reports, but aren't the intended finished product.

#5 2row

2row
  • Members
  • 16 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Galaxy S III (T-Mobile)
  • CM Version:
    SGH-T999
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 26 March 2013 - 04:20 AM

Oh man... Really? I don't know why its giving me such a hard time. :/ I did a factory reset and everything. I followed a "wwjoshdew" YouTube video on how to install CyanogenMod 10.1 and Jelly Bean 4.1.2. I did everything. I got this phone about a week after it came out and it came ad Ice cream Sandwich. Does that have anything to do with it?

#6 2row

2row
  • Members
  • 16 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Galaxy S III (T-Mobile)
  • CM Version:
    SGH-T999
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 26 March 2013 - 04:24 AM

I meant 4.2.2.

#7 bassmadrigal

bassmadrigal
  • Administrators
  • 12912 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Nexus 4
  • CM Version:
    10.2 Nightlies
  • Recovery Image:
    TWRP

Posted 28 March 2013 - 07:15 AM

Well, if the guide was for 4.1.2, you may have inadvertantly installed the wrong gapps package. Due to massive changes from Google, Android 4.1 gapps won't work with Android 4.2. Try getting the latest gapps from http://goo.im/gapps

#8 2row

2row
  • Members
  • 16 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Galaxy S III (T-Mobile)
  • CM Version:
    SGH-T999
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 03 April 2013 - 05:38 PM

bassmadrigal, on 28 March 2013 - 07:15 AM, said:

Well, if the guide was for 4.1.2, you may have inadvertantly installed the wrong gapps package. Due to massive changes from Google, Android 4.1 gapps won't work with Android 4.2. Try getting the latest gapps from http://goo.im/gapps

Aww man...see, now that I went through phone hell with my S3, I know exactly what you're talking about now lol. Thanks dude, you've helped me out a ton. It crossed my mind about 3-4 times that I should just pay $130 and have them send me another phone. Thanks!

#9 bassmadrigal

bassmadrigal
  • Administrators
  • 12912 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Nexus 4
  • CM Version:
    10.2 Nightlies
  • Recovery Image:
    TWRP

Posted 03 April 2013 - 05:49 PM

Well, once you get dragged through the mud with your phone, everything else suddenly becomes much easier and clearer. I've lost my data a few times, and each time I certainly learned more... whether I wanted to or not.

Hope you stay problem free :)

#10 nakmax

nakmax
  • Members
  • 1 posts
    gr - Greece
  • Device Model:
    samsung galaxy s3 (int)
  • CM Version:
    10.2-20131102-snapshot-m1
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 06 December 2013 - 11:41 PM

I currently have on my galaxy s3 the cm-10.2-20131102-SNAPSHOT-M1 which was added on 2013-11-2. But I see that there is a stable version called cm-10.2.0 which was added on 2013-12-2. How do I put the stable version on my phone? Do I have to flash it again, which means installing all the apps allover again?

#11 okunium

okunium
  • Members
  • 5 posts
    ro - Romania
  • Device Model:
    Samsung S3 - GT I9300
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 07 December 2013 - 08:52 AM

So i have a question to. the last stable release was the 10.2.0. But after that 3 nigthlyes came out and was just wondering what is the difference between the stable one and the last nigthly :) Is there new code or just some minor bug fixes for the stable one. Pls hep out, this thing is driving me crazy (i have OCD - and not joking about it :(

#12 skazman002

skazman002
  • Members
  • 2 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    LG G2
  • CM Version:
    CM11
  • Recovery Image:
    TWRP

Posted 04 June 2014 - 05:38 AM

Is there anything different I have  do besides using the Cyanogenmod Update section in the settings menu when going from a nightly to M7 (or any snapshot)?

My devise is a LG G2 d800 running the 5/25 /14 nightly

#13 kiranjaycee

kiranjaycee
  • Members
  • 105 posts
    in - India
  • Device Model:
    i9300
  • CM Version:
    11 M6
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 04 June 2014 - 06:18 AM

View Postskazman002, on 04 June 2014 - 05:38 AM, said:

Is there anything different I have  do besides using the Cyanogenmod Update section in the settings menu when going from a nightly to M7 (or any snapshot)?

My devise is a LG G2 d800 running the 5/25 /14 nightly

Do not update to M7 from the nightly. Nightlies have newer codes than M7 and so if you update it may cause issues.
If you want to install M7 you would need to do a clean install.