Welcome to CyanogenMod

Welcome to our forum. Like most online communities you must register to post, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the CyanogenMod Forum by signing in or creating an account. You can even sign in with your Facebook or Twitter account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Download files attached to the forum.
  • Customize your experience here
  • Share your CyanogenMod experience!
Guest Message by DevFuse

Changing Sprint to Another Carrier name

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Smalls

Smalls
  • Members
  • 10 posts
  • Twitter:thecountrygamer
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    HTC Aria
  • CM Version:
    Cyanogenmod 6.1
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 14 September 2010 - 06:33 PM

Ok so I was getting tired of seeing Sprint all over my phone, when in fact I have an Alltel HTC Hero. I started digging around to find out how to change it.

(Source of Material)

You need the Android SDK in order to do this.

Okay so the first step is to make a file named "eri.xml". The contents of the file will be:
<EriFile VersionNumber="1357" NumberOfEriEntries="1" EriFileType="1">
<CallPromptId Id="0" CallPromptText="CallPromptId0"/>
<CallPromptId Id="1" CallPromptText="CallPromptId1"/>
<CallPromptId Id="2" CallPromptText="CallPromptId2"/>
<EriInfo RoamingIndicator="128" IconIndex="1" IconMode="0" EriText="TEXT HERE" CallPromptId="0" AlertId="0"/>
</EriFile>
Replace the words TEXT HERE with Alltel or Cellular South and then save it and put it into the Android SDK "tools" folder.

Next, open up Command Prompt or Terminal and navigate to the Android SDK folder.

Type:
adb devices

If nothing shows, then make sure USB Debugging is enabled.

Then type:
adb remount
adb push eri.xml /data

Once done, disconnect your phone and restart. There you have it, custom Carrier name on your CDMA Hero.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Oh and for those wondering, I have been trying to get MMS to work on Alltel. I got receiving MMS messages working, but sending still returns an error.

Edited by Smalls, 14 September 2010 - 06:41 PM.

#2 dgdj1842

dgdj1842
  • Members
  • 15 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    |6|
  • CM Version:
    CyanogenMod-6.0.0-Heroc-testing2
  • Recovery Image:
    TWRP

Posted 15 September 2010 - 03:08 PM

Oh and for those wondering, I have been trying to get MMS to work on Alltel. I got receiving MMS messages working, but sending still returns an error.
[/quote]

To fix the Alltel MMS this worked on my Alltel Phone...see my post. ( I think it is number 7 down the list, just scroll down until you see my user).

http://forum.cyanogenmod.com/topic/6534-random-restarts/page__view__findpost__p__57747

#3 ngholson

ngholson
  • Members
  • 8 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    HTC Hero 200
  • CM Version:
    aospCmod - CM7
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 15 September 2010 - 11:55 PM

ok so i have done a little research and a little homework, and even some trial and error and been able to get no where.

since flashing my rom and installing the gapps. i have noticed sprint has apparently hijacked my phone (not literally of course.)

my notifications window and carrier id on lockscreen all went to Sprint. This was a really easy fix.

i noticed that the downloads tab in my market app. suddenly says Sprint. i screwed around with it for a little while and cleared the app data, reloaded the market and voila! there was my download tab. this victory was short lived.

today i open my market app again only to discover that sprint is really really trying to get me to leave my current carrier (again, not literally) and has once again hijacked my market app and stolen my downloads tab in lieu of their Sprint tab.

so i did some more looking. using a root explorer i managed to find this file /system/build.prop there are some notable entries here:

ro.build.brand=sprint
ro.com.google.clientidbase=android-sprint-us
ro.cdma.home.operator.numeric=310120
ro.cdma.home.operator.alpha=Sprint

towards the bottom of the file there is the following entry that seems to conflict with the above entry

ro.com.google.clientidbase=android-google

can i change these entries on my own? is it possible to just comment them out entirely?
maybe i can use adb to pull the file, edit it then use adb to push it back????

any ideas?

Edited by ngholson, 16 September 2010 - 12:06 AM.

#4 dsmitty166

dsmitty166
  • Members
  • 7 posts
  • Device Model:
    Alltel HTC Hero CDMA
  • CM Version:
    CM6 Nightlies
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 16 September 2010 - 04:30 PM

works! thanks!

#5 pstevep

pstevep
  • Members
  • 3 posts
  • Twitter:pstevep
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Sprint Hero
  • CM Version:
    CyanogenMod-6.1 - RC1
  • Recovery Image:
    Amon_RA

Posted 16 September 2010 - 07:17 PM

This is awesome.. I have been wanting to try and change my carrier name for a while now, because I have seen people posting screen shots with custom names. And this totally worked, I am at work and was even able to do the whole thing from my phone without actually having to use the USB cord.. awesome thanks for the info..

#6 dokted

dokted
  • Members
  • 15 posts
  • Device Model:
    HTC hero
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 09 October 2010 - 04:40 PM

Smalls, on 14 September 2010 - 06:33 PM, said:

Ok so I was getting tired of seeing Sprint all over my phone, when in fact I have an Alltel HTC Hero. I started digging around to find out how to change it.

(Source of Material)

Okay so the first step is to make a file named "eri.xml". The contents of the file will be:
<EriInfo RoamingIndicator="128" IconIndex="1" IconMode="0" EriText="TEXT HERE" CallPromptId="0" AlertId="0"/>
</EriFile>
Replace the words TEXT HERE with Alltel or Cellular South and then save it and put it into the Android SDK "tools" folder.

Next, open up Command Prompt or Terminal and navigate to the Android SDK folder.

Type:
adb devices

Then type:
adb remount
adb push eri.xml /data

Once done, disconnect your phone and restart. There you have it, custom Carrier name on your CDMA Hero.

Posted Image
Posted Image

i've followed all these steps, as well as the slightly different ones at your source. Regardless of what I try, good old "Sprint" still sitting there after reboot. USB debugging connected. any other suggestions? Thanks

#7 foDDYY

foDDYY
  • Members
  • 9 posts
  • Twitter:foddyy
    cn - China
  • Device Model:
    hero CDMA
  • CM Version:
    cm 6.0
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 20 October 2010 - 01:18 PM

Thks a lot. But it does not work any more after CM 6 Nightly 96. Any other suggestions?

#8 ajrty33

ajrty33
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  • Device Model:
    HTC Hero
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 20 October 2010 - 11:45 PM

foDDYY, on 20 October 2010 - 01:18 PM, said:

Thks a lot. But it does not work any more after CM 6 Nightly 96. Any other suggestions?

I followed a different guide, but I'm on 96 and mine is still changed.

#9 foDDYY

foDDYY
  • Members
  • 9 posts
  • Twitter:foddyy
    cn - China
  • Device Model:
    hero CDMA
  • CM Version:
    cm 6.0
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 22 October 2010 - 08:16 AM

ajrty33, on 20 October 2010 - 11:45 PM, said:

I followed a different guide, but I'm on 96 and mine is still changed.

It's very strange, I do it again then it works again.

#10 i@jim

i@jim
  • Members
  • 10 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    HTC Hero on Credo Mobile
  • CM Version:
    Cyanogen 6.1 Stable
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 22 December 2010 - 03:05 PM

Hi All:
I apologize in advance if I missed something here -- but I would like to try to do this without my computer. Is there a way to get this done using just my phone?
Yours noobily,
Jim

#11 akaCrookshanks

akaCrookshanks
  • Members
  • 8 posts
  • Twitter:akaCrookshanks
  • Device Model:
    HTC Hero
  • CM Version:
    many
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 22 December 2010 - 06:51 PM

i assume you can change this to read anything youd like??

#12 akaCrookshanks

akaCrookshanks
  • Members
  • 8 posts
  • Device Model:
    HTC Hero
  • CM Version:
    many
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 22 December 2010 - 07:18 PM

Smalls, on 14 September 2010 - 06:33 PM, said:

(Source of Material)

</EriFile>

Type:
adb devices

Then type:
adb remount
adb push eri.xml /data

Posted Image
Posted Image

i have a sprint hero that i tried this on and it didnt work.  ive still got the sprint name everywhere.  is there a different process for modding the sprint hero's eri??

thanks

#13 i@jim

i@jim
  • Members
  • 10 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    HTC Hero on Credo Mobile
  • CM Version:
    Cyanogen 6.1 Stable
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 22 December 2010 - 07:54 PM

akaCrookshanks, on 22 December 2010 - 07:18 PM, said:

i have a sprint hero that i tried this on and it didnt work.  ive still got the sprint name everywhere.  is there a different process for modding the sprint hero's eri??

thanks

I found this, tried the "on phone" method (it's about 1/2 down the 1st post), and it works like a charm. A lucky charm indeed!

Yours,
Jim

#14 akaCrookshanks

akaCrookshanks
  • Members
  • 8 posts
  • Device Model:
    HTC Hero
  • CM Version:
    many
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 22 December 2010 - 08:04 PM

i@jim, on 22 December 2010 - 07:54 PM, said:

I found this, tried the "on phone" method (it's about 1/2 down the 1st post), and it works like a charm. A lucky charm indeed!

Yours,
Jim

thanks for the link.  im using a stock 2.1, rooted w/sense.  i thought itd work since i can change other things, ie the framework files for say the 3g icon and the bars.  it was worth a shot.

#15 cookt

cookt
  • Members
  • 60 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Sprint HTC Hero CDMA
  • CM Version:
    CM-7.1
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 23 December 2010 - 02:17 AM

I can't seem to get the adb commands working with my phone since I upgraded to CM. I have looked for a CM specific tutorial but can't find one. Do I need a specific CM usb driver? If so, where can I find it?

I got the On Phone Method to work using Terminal Emulator.

Also I found the USB device drivers. They are buried somewhere within the HTC Sync program. By installing HTC Sync on the computer I'm using I got the ADB commands to work, (sort of). Whenever I try pushing something through the adb it gives me a big long read out that I pretty much says it doesn't know if I want the system or data folders.

Edited by cookt, 23 December 2010 - 03:05 AM.

#16 dgrindle09

dgrindle09
  • Members
  • 4 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    HTC Hero Alltel CDMA
  • CM Version:
    CyanogenMod-7.0.0-RC2-Heroc
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 15 January 2011 - 08:04 AM

This works great but i cheated and did this from my phone no command line needed. with a file manager that has root access such as android mate i was able to copy the newly created file into /data directory without the use of android sdk and the java update needed for it thats a pain in the butt....now just for getting sprint off of the new market tab. lol

#17 cookt

cookt
  • Members
  • 60 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Sprint HTC Hero CDMA
  • CM Version:
    CM-7.1
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 16 January 2011 - 11:34 PM

Change the name of your carrier will cause some services to stop working. For example the Football Live application will not run if you have made this change. I'm not sure if any other applications are affected but if you experience problems you might want to try deleting the eri.xml file and see if it will fix them.