Welcome to CyanogenMod

Welcome to our forum. Like most online communities you must register to post, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the CyanogenMod Forum by signing in or creating an account. You can even sign in with your Facebook or Twitter account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Download files attached to the forum.
  • Customize your experience here
  • Share your CyanogenMod experience!
Guest Message by DevFuse

Android Keyboard Not Working

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 tramp

tramp
  • Members
  • 3 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    touchpad
  • CM Version:
    nightly
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 21 February 2013 - 05:20 PM

been using cm9 for about a year and update the nightly when availible. last couple of weeks each time i update keep getting the same message after reboot
ANDROID KEYBOARD HAS STOPPED. which means i cant type anything or seach. when this happens i just re flash to an older version and keyboard works fine anybody have this problem? thx

#2 Nevertells

Nevertells
  • Members
  • 1166 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    HP TouchPad
  • CM Version:
    CM10 & CM10.1 & CM11
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:23 PM

tramp, on 21 February 2013 - 05:20 PM, said:

been using cm9 for about a year and update the nightly when availible. last couple of weeks each time i update keep getting the same message after reboot
ANDROID KEYBOARD HAS STOPPED. which means i cant type anything or seach. when this happens i just re flash to an older version and keyboard works fine anybody have this problem? thx

You don't mention what nightly causes your problem and which one you have to go back to.  Are you making a nandroid back up before you flash any nightly?  What happens if you do a clean install using the problem nightly?

To answer your question, I have not seen anyone reporting this.

#3 tramp

tramp
  • Members
  • 3 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    touchpad
  • CM Version:
    nightly
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:48 PM

looks like i fixed it. using goo manager i downloaded and flashed falcon (whatever that is) then booted up which now gives me a differant start screen then went back to goo manager and installed the most recent nightly and the problem is fixed still not sure how or why. how do u do a clean install
? All i do is go to goo manager down load the new nightly after that downloads i open it check the box for wipe cache and flash. should i be doing something else. thanks

#4 JohnA2u

JohnA2u
  • Members
  • 38 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    HP TouchPad 16gb
  • CM Version:
    CM9/10 flipflopper
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 22 February 2013 - 03:08 AM

I'd say your problem could have two possible causes.  
1. You say you've been running cm9 for about a year.  You may be running an older version of cwm which can cause corruption in your system.   A "clean install" could fix it.  Check out the "where to begin"  thread and follow Nevertells guide.

2. You may just have downloaded a buggy app or gotten a buggy update.  If rolling back your system to a previous backup fixes it I'm thinking this may be your problem.  A "controlled" factory reset may be in order.  Do a factory data reset and don't allow your apps to auto restore or update.  Add your apps back a few at a time over several days.  If the keyboard error pops up you should be able to identify the culprit.

Edited by JohnA2u, 22 February 2013 - 03:09 AM.

#5 Nevertells

Nevertells
  • Members
  • 1166 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    HP TouchPad
  • CM Version:
    CM10 & CM10.1 & CM11
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 22 February 2013 - 03:10 AM

tramp, on 21 February 2013 - 10:48 PM, said:

looks like i fixed it. using goo manager i downloaded and flashed falcon (whatever that is) then booted up which now gives me a differant start screen then went back to goo manager and installed the most recent nightly and the problem is fixed still not sure how or why. how do u do a clean install
? All i do is go to goo manager down load the new nightly after that downloads i open it check the box for wipe cache and flash. should i be doing something else. thanks

It would also have been helpful if you would have answered the handful of questions that I asked.

#6 uberkool

uberkool
  • Members
  • 2 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    HP Touchpad
  • CM Version:
    CM9
  • Recovery Image:
    Other

Posted 25 February 2013 - 07:00 AM

Nevertells,

I just installed Android 4.0.X and and having the Keyboard issue same as the above user. The keyboard issue propped up after installing the gapps file separately after the initial install. Tried following his idea to fix it but couldn't find the file he mentioned. Can you point me to a fully functioning gapps file.

#7 tramp

tramp
  • Members
  • 3 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    touchpad
  • CM Version:
    nightly
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 25 February 2013 - 04:02 PM

heres is what i did (but remember i don't really know what i am doing)
Goomanager then click compatible roms then to Randomking click thur until u hit the falcon files i chose the first one at top of page downloaded and
flashed then went back to goomanager and downloaded most recent nightly problem fixed. now the keyboard works but google play store not working
which dont really care about. i need to just start over and go for cm10 just have notgotton around to it. good luck

#8 Nevertells

Nevertells
  • Members
  • 1166 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    HP TouchPad
  • CM Version:
    CM10 & CM10.1 & CM11
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:29 AM

uberkool, on 25 February 2013 - 07:00 AM, said:

Nevertells,

I just installed Android 4.0.X and and having the Keyboard issue same as the above user. The keyboard issue propped up after installing the gapps file separately after the initial install. Tried following his idea to fix it but couldn't find the file he mentioned. Can you point me to a fully functioning gapps file.

You should be using the ICS version of gapps, you will find it here:

http://wiki.rootzwiki.com/Google_Apps

Scroll down and look for the 0429 date for ICS.

#9 Nevertells

Nevertells
  • Members
  • 1166 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    HP TouchPad
  • CM Version:
    CM10 & CM10.1 & CM11
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:38 AM

tramp, on 25 February 2013 - 04:02 PM, said:

heres is what i did (but remember i don't really know what i am doing)
Goomanager then click compatible roms then to Randomking click thur until u hit the falcon files i chose the first one at top of page downloaded and
flashed then went back to goomanager and downloaded most recent nightly problem fixed. now the keyboard works but google play store not working
which dont really care about. i need to just start over and go for cm10 just have notgotton around to it. good luck

I strongly suggest since you admit you don't know what you are doing, that you don't recommend installing files on another users TouchPad when you don't know anything about the file you are suggesting they install and that the consequences might be they "brick" their device.

I'm amused by what you posted on Feb 21st, "i downloaded and flashed falcon (whatever that is) and now you are recommending that others install "whatever that is"? That is really dangerous!

#10 GranPaSmurf

GranPaSmurf
  • Donators
  • 41 posts
  • Twitter:#GranPaSmurf
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Galaxy Nexus and TouchPad
  • CM Version:
    10-20130304-EXPERIMENTAL-tenderloin- and Cyanogen Nightly
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 08 March 2013 - 04:00 PM

Yeah, remember this is a forum. Lots of us are unsure even at best. Gullible too.
I have been using the Nightly Mods for about 3 months now and never had the reported Android Keyboard problem.
Cheers!
BTW, all, am using CyanoGenMod 20130303 on my TouchPad. Buttery smooth and the battery time is excellent. I use the TP several hours a day, reading eBooks.

Edited by GranPaSmurf, 08 March 2013 - 04:02 PM.

#11 stef7

stef7
  • Donators
  • 19 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    HP Touchpad 16GB
  • CM Version:
    CM10 (12162012-Experimental)
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 12 March 2013 - 03:46 AM

I am on CM10 and keyboard is fine.

#12 geomonroe

geomonroe
  • Members
  • 8 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    hp touchpad
  • CM Version:
    cyanogenmod 9
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 17 March 2013 - 01:42 PM

I also had the keyboard issue until the most recent nightly

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Tapatalk 2

You say 10 is working on the to?

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Tapatalk 2

#13 geomonroe

geomonroe
  • Members
  • 8 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    hp touchpad
  • CM Version:
    cyanogenmod 9
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 18 March 2013 - 12:21 PM

I had keyboard issue until latest nightly

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

#14 geomonroe

geomonroe
  • Members
  • 8 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    hp touchpad
  • CM Version:
    cyanogenmod 9
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 18 March 2013 - 12:25 PM

Oops sorry, BTW 10 on touchpad, cleared battery stats will leave on charger and let kernel settle so far so good, thanks to jcsullins

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2