Welcome to CyanogenMod

Welcome to our forum. Like most online communities you must register to post, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the CyanogenMod Forum by signing in or creating an account. You can even sign in with your Facebook or Twitter account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Download files attached to the forum.
  • Customize your experience here
  • Share your CyanogenMod experience!
Guest Message by DevFuse

*Solved*CM6 on motoDROID apps2ext firerat's method. does it work?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 gfrancis306

gfrancis306
  • Members
  • 6 posts
  • Twitter:_garrry
  • Device Model:
    A885 Droid
  • CM Version:
    CyanogenMod 6.0.0
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 10 September 2010 - 08:31 PM

Hey all, I realize 6.1 will include a working apps2ext implementation, but I'm bored at work today and need a little project. I was working on this for about 6 hours last night, and was unable to get the sd-ext partition to mount to the device at all, except in recovery (which FireRat's method cannot work under).

Anyway, I've tried flashing the userinitmount.zip in recovery, I've tried both the script and .zip flash versions of the app2ext, and the further I can get is to have all the apk's on the ext3 partition and also in the froyo2fat folder, but I cannot access the sd-ext folder (or mmcblk0p2) while the phone is booted up. I've tried mounting the partition manually with "mount -o rw /dev/block/mmcblk0p2 /sd-ext" both with and without an existing sd-ext folder. I've tried manually editing the permissions of mmcblk0p2 and sd-ext to no avail. I always get the same error- Invalid Argument- when trying to mount manually.

As far as I can see, all topics on FireRat's method is for the G1/Dream, but it says in his thread that this should work for any device and any rom that uses init.d and userinit, am I wrong to assume this should work for my droid?

I'm running CM6.0.0 with p3droid LV 250-1250 kernel with ext2/3/4 support overclocked to 1100, have the Watermark'd theme and have tried wiping with a fresh install of all of the above, or just doing it from an existing install, all with the same results.

Most of the time when running the script (both from adb or from terminal emulator) it has a bunch of error messages like cannot create /sd-ext/app and folder does not exist, or it just exits with one big error message about mounting sd-ext.

I believe the only way I could get the script to work without error messages is booting the phone into recovery and using adb, but under recovery the apps are inaccessible through FireRat's script.

Sorry for the long post, but I'd like a push in the right direction here. I'm sick of the Apps2FAT method, and would like to go back to the ext method since I run linux and have no problem with an ext partition (except my phone not mounting it, Grr)

Also- I tried a script that I found on theme forums for using the cm4 method of apps2ext (creating symlinks for the folders themselves, not the individual apk's, I remember this method working for me once upon a time) but after flashing the .zip it just bootlooped to the motorola logo. I flashed the zip right after wiping and reflashing the ROM, kernel, and theme with no reboot inbetween.

HELP please and thank you!

-Garrett

p.s.- just remembered there was some discussion about the memory card class (mine is a class 2 which came with my droid from verizon) but this shouldn't have to do with simply getting the partition to mount into cm6, amirite?

FireRat's apps2ext method:
http://forum.cyanoge...-flashable-zip/

Edited by gfrancis306, 19 September 2010 - 09:50 AM.

#2 AbsoluteZero

AbsoluteZero

Droid Moderator

• Moderators
  • 1542 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    1+1,N5,motox,N4,N7,SGN,D1
  • CM Version:
    CM11s,stock,stock,CM10.2,CM10.2,CM10.1,N#174
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 10 September 2010 - 08:50 PM

What's your output of "df -h" in terminal? Mount points are different on Droid than G1/Dream. For instance, /system = mtdblock4 on Droid and mtdblock3 on G1/Dream. Not sure if that is making a difference somewhere in his script. I'd imagine it is and would have to be fixed but I don't use a2sd in any shape or fashion so I haven't attempted to get it working. Jump in #koush and ask if someone has been able to.

For sh*ts and giggles what happens if you run "mount -o rw,remount /sd-ext" in terminal

#3 gfrancis306

gfrancis306
  • Members
  • 6 posts
  • Device Model:
    A885 Droid
  • CM Version:
    CyanogenMod 6.0.0
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 10 September 2010 - 09:20 PM

View PostAbsolute Zero, on 10 September 2010 - 08:50 PM, said:

What's your output of "df -h" in terminal? Mount points are different on Droid than G1/Dream. For instance, /system = mtdblock4 on Droid and mtdblock3 on G1/Dream. Not sure if that is making a difference somewhere in his script. I'd imagine it is and would have to be fixed but I don't use a2sd in any shape or fashion so I haven't attempted to get it working. Jump in #koush and ask if someone has been able to.

For sh*ts and giggles what happens if you run "mount -o rw,remount /sd-ext" in terminal

let's see...

df returns

tmpfs on /dev and /mnt/asec
/dev/block/mtdblock0, 4, 5, and 6, on /config /system /data and /cache, respectively
/dev/block/vold/179:1 on /mnt/sdcard and /mnt/secure/asec (asec is froyo2fat)
and a ton of /dev/block/dm-* pretty much one for each application on the froyo2fat

it's a bunch of garbage and i see no sd-ext or mmcblk0p2

remount returns "mount: can't find /sd-ext in /proc/mounts" (makes sense since it's not mounted, lol).

Thanks for the time! any other ideas? I was looking through logcat last night and remember seeing nothing about the ext partition.

#4 nerd65536

nerd65536
  • Members
  • 21 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    T-Mobile G2
  • CM Version:
    CM7.1RC1
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 13 September 2010 - 02:37 AM

The short answer is that the default kernel in CM6 is broken with respect to mounting additional partitions. Just install another kernel, like jdlfg's (scroll to the bottom of his post), and all will be well.

#5 gfrancis306

gfrancis306
  • Members
  • 6 posts
  • Device Model:
    A885 Droid
  • CM Version:
    CyanogenMod 6.0.0
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 17 September 2010 - 03:53 AM

View Postnerd65536, on 13 September 2010 - 02:37 AM, said:

The short answer is that the default kernel in CM6 is broken with respect to mounting additional partitions. Just install another kernel, like jdlfg's (scroll to the bottom of his post), and all will be well.

thanks! i'm using p3droid's LV 250-1250MHz kernel, but i'll give the jdlfg's a try.

#6 gfrancis306

gfrancis306
  • Members
  • 6 posts
  • Device Model:
    A885 Droid
  • CM Version:
    CyanogenMod 6.0.0
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 18 September 2010 - 10:09 PM

okay, had a warranty phone coming in so i did a fresh install of CM6, jdlfg 1288 kernel running at stock clock for now, watermark'd theme, etc... finally the sd-ext partition mounts and firerat's script works perfectly, all of my applications are now on sd-ext and mount on startup. however, a peculiar thing happens (and i'm not sure what triggers it, as i've been at work and haven't had much time to tinker around with things to see what is the reason). all of my apps will suddenly disappear from the phone., and only will reappear on a reboot. I've tried fixing permissions and manually chmod'ing all involved folders -R, however to no avail. Is this a common problem?

#7 gfrancis306

gfrancis306
  • Members
  • 6 posts
  • Device Model:
    A885 Droid
  • CM Version:
    CyanogenMod 6.0.0
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 19 September 2010 - 09:48 AM

so a happy ending... wiped a final time and loaded up CM6, jdlfg's 1200 kernel, theme and such... but didn't restore anything (a few apps auto restored through the market). ran firerat's script and loaded up a few widely used applications. so far so good, i tried flashing the 1288 kernel again and it would just freeze and reboot a few seconds after setting setcpu, so i went back to the 1200. it's been pretty stable aside from handcent popup force closing a bit and messages taking a second or two to send. sd-ext and recursive folders are mounted properly on mmcblk0p2.

also something that's a bit strange- firerat says newly installed apps will be on the internal memory and apkmanager.sh is needed to move them to ext2 partition. however, all of my applications have been installed on the ext2 partition by default. avoids an unnecessary step. try this out if you're looking to keep your memory freed up and like apps2ext over apps2fat.

link added to OP