Welcome to CyanogenMod

Welcome to our forum. Like most online communities you must register to post, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the CyanogenMod Forum by signing in or creating an account. You can even sign in with your Facebook or Twitter account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Download files attached to the forum.
  • Customize your experience here
  • Share your CyanogenMod experience!
Guest Message by DevFuse

Minimum Screen Brightness

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 tinca101

tinca101
  • Members
  • 7 posts
    uk - United Kingdom
  • Device Model:
    HP Touchpad
  • CM Version:
    CM9
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 19 September 2012 - 12:25 PM

Hi...The minimum screen brightness seems to be much brighter in CM9 than in standard Touchpad/WebOS. I have searched this topic and there are some threads about tweaking the graduation of the screen brightness in CM9 to make it compatible with certain games but can't find anything about calibrating the minimum. I am looking into this as I want to maximise the battery life (which s OK but isn't great when compared to WebOS) and also stop my wife moaning that the screen is too bright when reading in bed. Is there a setting in any of the Android config files I can change? Can't see anything obvious in build.prop

Thanks

#2 Nevertells

Nevertells
  • Members
  • 1163 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    HP TouchPad
  • CM Version:
    CM10 & CM10.1 & CM11
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 19 September 2012 - 09:56 PM

View Posttinca101, on 19 September 2012 - 12:25 PM, said:

Hi...The minimum screen brightness seems to be much brighter in CM9 than in standard Touchpad/WebOS. I have searched this topic and there are some threads about tweaking the graduation of the screen brightness in CM9 to make it compatible with certain games but can't find anything about calibrating the minimum. I am looking into this as I want to maximise the battery life (which s OK but isn't great when compared to WebOS) and also stop my wife moaning that the screen is too bright when reading in bed. Is there a setting in any of the Android config files I can change? Can't see anything obvious in build.prop

Thanks

Have a look at settings/display/light levels

Just be careful, set it too dim and you won't be able to see display at all.

#3 Nomad1600

Nomad1600
  • Members
  • 4 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    TouchPad
  • CM Version:
    CM9
  • Recovery Image:
    TWRP

Posted 20 September 2012 - 12:39 AM

You can download a free app from the Play Store called RootDim that will allow you to lower screen brightness well below what you can stock.  You can also set up multiple custom settings for day and night.

#4 tinca101

tinca101
  • Members
  • 7 posts
    uk - United Kingdom
  • Device Model:
    HP Touchpad
  • CM Version:
    CM9
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 20 September 2012 - 10:00 AM

Thanks Nevertells

Played with the levels...default is 21 and the lowest I could go without total blackout was 3. However, this is only for Auto Brightness. Great for night time but now I have the opposite problem....because I am now using Auto the screen tends to be brighter than it needs to be during daylight......I guess I could spend some time adjusting the screen brightness for all the intermediary thresholds.......But in Auto mode there is still a drain on battery as the device is "polling" ambient light levels frequently.....Again, could mitigate this by changing the setting from the default (1second I think to 5s+). Was hoping that there was a way to tweak the minimum brightness at a system/device level as I tend to use screen brightness in manual mode. Would like to just swipe the brightness down and hit that absolute working minimum by default.

@ Nomad1600 - Thanks...will take a look at the App but was hoping to do this at a system/device level to avoid over dependance on Apps to compensate for such things.

Edited by tinca101, 20 September 2012 - 01:20 PM.