Welcome to CyanogenMod

Welcome to our forum. Like most online communities you must register to post, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the CyanogenMod Forum by signing in or creating an account. You can even sign in with your Facebook or Twitter account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Download files attached to the forum.
  • Customize your experience here
  • Share your CyanogenMod experience!
Guest Message by DevFuse

Cm10 Information

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
17 replies to this topic

#1 cxzzcx

cxzzcx
  • Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 06:19 PM

I am currently running the stable build of cm 9.1.0 on my captivate. I am considering updating to the cm 10 nightlies, but i'm not sure about what's working and what's not. Can someone please tell me what major features are not working? Also, I use my phone for general use normally, so would you recommend using the nightlies, or sticking with the stable build?

#2 remy4223

remy4223
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 11:38 PM

I have not run into any problems w/CM10 on my Captivate. I did install Devil Kernel and set the max. at 1.3 ghz and the min. at 200 ghz.

#3 cxzzcx

cxzzcx
  • Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 12:05 AM

Is it unstable? I mean it is a nightly, so I wouldn't expect it to be 100%. If there are no problems, why wouldn't they put out a release candidate?

#4 korockinout13

korockinout13
  • Members
  • 484 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 03:16 AM

It is perfectly stable, but it is still too early for a RC. They probably want to merge more features first.

#5 lnxfrk

lnxfrk
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 04:18 PM

I've tried a few of the CM10 nightly builds and yes it's stable enough to use this early in the development process. I do encounter an issue with existing pictures, videos, and music not showing up in apps such as gallery which is bothersome if you frequent that type of media. Initially it was reported that ROM Manager placed .nomedia files in the some places such as the root of the internal SD card which prevented media storage from finding (indexing?) the media. I've tried various workarounds and have not had any luck with fixing the issue. For now I'm back to CM9.1 as it's rock solid.

#6 grahams

grahams
  • Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 02:51 AM

I've been using CM10 for a couple of weeks and it is stable and initially fast, but I do see it slow down after a day or so and become noticeably laggy. Wondering if others are seeing the same.

#7 NP SHO

NP SHO
  • Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 05:44 PM

I've tried a few of the CM10 nightlies.  Pretty stable overall.  I did find that the battery drain could be an issue if you didn't have a charger around twice a day.  I flashed the 20120906 nightly yesterday and have found that the battery is much better.  I've had it unplugged for about 4 hours right now and I'm still at 85%.  Other than that everything seems to work.  No issues with WiFi, Bluetooth, camera, etc.  Everything seems to work.  I haven't really noticed any issues with lag over time.

Grahams, are you updating at all or did you flash a CM10 nightly and just keep on using it?  I found the first few releases a little quirky, but the latest ones are sweet.

I have not seen any issues with existing files like lnxfrk is reporting.  I can go into my gallery and see pics that I took when I was still using the stock ROM.  Not sure what's going on there...

#8 lnxfrk

lnxfrk
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 02:11 AM

I've been planning on flashing another nightly and perhaps I'll start with 20120906 and see if I still see the issue.

NP SHO: are your pictures stored on the internal SD in the DCIM/Camera directory or elsewhere? I've seen a post about moving them to another location on the internal SD or placing them on an external SD to see if things change. Thank you for your post!

Also, as far as gapps version is the recommendation still to use the JellyBean 20120726 version like http://goo.im/gapps notes? I have seen many mixed recommendations when it comes to gapps.

Edited by lnxfrk, 08 September 2012 - 02:16 AM.

#9 Simba7

Simba7
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 08:43 AM

The only issue I have with CM10 is the sudden drop in app storage. I went from almost 1GB (CM9) to 500mb (CM10) and was curious on why. I have quite a few apps on my phone and this kinda cripples it.

I checked "df" in terminal and it shows 1GB Free after /system using 406MB.

Edited by Simba7, 08 September 2012 - 08:44 AM.

#10 korockinout13

korockinout13
  • Members
  • 484 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 10:45 PM

View PostSimba7, on 08 September 2012 - 08:43 AM, said:

The only issue I have with CM10 is the sudden drop in app storage. I went from almost 1GB (CM9) to 500mb (CM10) and was curious on why. I have quite a few apps on my phone and this kinda cripples it.

I checked "df" in terminal and it shows 1GB Free after /system using 406MB.

The partitions were rearranged because the old setup caused extreme lag for some users on JB

#11 grahams

grahams
  • Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 06:55 AM

View PostNP SHO, on 07 September 2012 - 05:44 PM, said:

I've tried a few of the CM10 nightlies.  Pretty stable overall.  I did find that the battery drain could be an issue if you didn't have a charger around twice a day.  I flashed the 20120906 nightly yesterday and have found that the battery is much better.  I've had it unplugged for about 4 hours right now and I'm still at 85%.  Other than that everything seems to work.  No issues with WiFi, Bluetooth, camera, etc.  Everything seems to work.  I haven't really noticed any issues with lag over time.

Grahams, are you updating at all or did you flash a CM10 nightly and just keep on using it?  I found the first few releases a little quirky, but the latest ones are sweet.

I have not seen any issues with existing files like lnxfrk is reporting.  I can go into my gallery and see pics that I took when I was still using the stock ROM.  Not sure what's going on there...

Thanks, good to know it is working well for you.
I reloaded CM9 (this is my only phone), but I had tried a few nightlies up to ~ Sept 2 and all got laggy. Sounds like the latest build may have solved.

#12 grahams

grahams
  • Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 06:58 AM

View Postkorockinout13, on 09 September 2012 - 10:45 PM, said:

The partitions were rearranged because the old setup caused extreme lag for some users on JB

Do you know when the partitions where changed? Wondering if it cures the lag issue I saw with  pre ~ Sept 2nd nighlies

#13 korockinout13

korockinout13
  • Members
  • 484 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 09:46 PM

View Postgrahams, on 16 September 2012 - 06:58 AM, said:

Do you know when the partitions where changed? Wondering if it cures the lag issue I saw with  pre ~ Sept 2nd nighlies

I believe it was early-mid august... but I have noticed that the last few builds have gotten exponentially better.

#14 cxzzcx

cxzzcx
  • Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 02:01 AM

Does anyone know about the cm10 experimental build for the captivate? It is supposed to be more stable than nightlies.

#15 NP SHO

NP SHO
  • Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 07:48 PM

If you're talking about the M1 Rom then yes.  I've been using it since it came out about a week ago.  Seems nice.  Stable, but I didn't really notice many issues with the nightlies...

Edited by NP SHO, 21 September 2012 - 02:39 AM.

#16 lnxfrk

lnxfrk
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 02:20 PM

Just a follow up on the post about pictures/music not showing up for me in CM10. It appears to be an issue affecting multiple devices based upon Google searches (search: CM10 media scan). I have found I can get my pictures to show up by limiting the number of pictures per folder while copying them to the internal SD storage.So far I have been able to get 150 files (about 200MB) to show up in gallery. Attempting to add one last folder with 20 or so files doesn't show up in gallery.

Update: The pictures I took using Camera 360 (identified by the C360_*.jpg naming convention) were the pictures causing media scanner to break. I started thinking it was a file name length issue or perhaps naming issue so I renamed the pictures from C360_* to IMG_* to match the others and started having more success. There were still quite a few that caused media scanner to break but those files had some commonality which contained GPS information. Comparing the Camera 360 GPS information to the stock camera app GPS information I noticed Camera 360 stored a lot longer string for the coordinates. I removed the GPS info and was able to get all my photos to show up. Perhaps a coincidence of much trial and error or luck. Regardless everything shows up including local music so I'm moving forward on running CM10 on this device and using it more frequently.

Edited by lnxfrk, 11 October 2012 - 04:03 PM.

#17 krugger

krugger
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 07:03 PM

Samsung Galaxy Captivate

I Installed cm-10-20120925-NIGHTLYand not found any problems, works better than CM9 Stable.

#18 grahams

grahams
  • Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 05:23 AM

I upgraded again to CM10 (Oct 1st build) and it is as fast and seems to be as stable as CM9, aka I'm lovin it.