Welcome to CyanogenMod

Welcome to our forum. Like most online communities you must register to post, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the CyanogenMod Forum by signing in or creating an account. You can even sign in with your Facebook or Twitter account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Download files attached to the forum.
  • Customize your experience here
  • Share your CyanogenMod experience!
Guest Message by DevFuse

Internal Storage Not Being Freed After Removing Apps

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 sjphaven

sjphaven
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 09:35 PM

I've been running CM9 on a 32GB Touchpad very happily for a few months, but I can no longer update many apps, particularly Yahoo! Mail - I get a message saying "insufficient storage available", even after removing a few apps which should have freed enough space. I've just installed the latest nightly (27th July) and that has not made things any better. I can't even reinstall the HP wireless printing app immediately after removing it (it wasn't on the SD card, you can't move it). I've moved as much as I can to the SD card (maximum I had was 35 or so apps on SD card). In settings it tells me it's using 1.3GB internal storage with ~130MB free. I've had a wander around the file system using a terminal emulator, but I don't know what I'm looking for to remove or reset to get the space back, nor do I know what the file system sizes should be to identify what's getting filled. Any idea what's eating my storage?

#2 Nevertells

Nevertells
  • Members
  • 1159 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 12:40 AM

View Postsjphaven, on 27 July 2012 - 09:35 PM, said:

I've been running CM9 on a 32GB Touchpad very happily for a few months, but I can no longer update many apps, particularly Yahoo! Mail - I get a message saying "insufficient storage available", even after removing a few apps which should have freed enough space. I've just installed the latest nightly (27th July) and that has not made things any better. I can't even reinstall the HP wireless printing app immediately after removing it (it wasn't on the SD card, you can't move it). I've moved as much as I can to the SD card (maximum I had was 35 or so apps on SD card). In settings it tells me it's using 1.3GB internal storage with ~130MB free. I've had a wander around the file system using a terminal emulator, but I don't know what I'm looking for to remove or reset to get the space back, nor do I know what the file system sizes should be to identify what's getting filled. Any idea what's eating my storage?

You might want to try reading this thread:  http://rootzwiki.com...ssues/    There is a discussion on how to increase internal storage.  Read all the way through the thread.  In the beginning of the thread there was a lot of discussion about folks having problems with the memory fix, however later in the thread, that was figured out.  Also, be careful moving apps to the SD card, you will eventually run into the 50 app limit and your SD card will become unmounted.

#3 sjphaven

sjphaven
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 09:40 AM

Thanks, I'll have a read through that thread. Thanks also for the reminder about the 50 app limit; is there a thread which explains why that's there, without knowing the background it seems like a number which someone just plucked out of the air?

I'd found various info about increasing internal storage, but I'm still curious how I can remove an app, immediately try to reinstall it and there no longer be space? What's happened to the space it used to have? When that happened, the next thing I did was restart the device to see if that cleared whatever is hanging on to the space.

#4 Nevertells

Nevertells
  • Members
  • 1159 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 01:11 PM

View Postsjphaven, on 29 July 2012 - 09:40 AM, said:

Thanks, I'll have a read through that thread. Thanks also for the reminder about the 50 app limit; is there a thread which explains why that's there, without knowing the background it seems like a number which someone just plucked out of the air?

I'd found various info about increasing internal storage, but I'm still curious how I can remove an app, immediately try to reinstall it and there no longer be space? What's happened to the space it used to have? When that happened, the next thing I did was restart the device to see if that cleared whatever is hanging on to the space.

The developer who started that thread did so to help folks with that limit as best he knew how.  He provided a fix so one would not have to worry about moving apps to the SD card and possibly deaiing with the 50 app limit.  I have never seen an answer to as why the 50 app limit.  Sorry, I have no idea why you are having the issue you are having.  You might want to make a nandroid backup, uninstall and reinstall and then restore the backup and see how things work.  The uninstall process resets all memory space hopefully getting rid of the issue you have.

#5 sjphaven

sjphaven
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 10:03 PM

I was thinking that just reinstalling everything might be easier than find out what's going on -  I've got nothing on the Touchpad which I can't get again or reload from elsewhere.

#6 Nevertells

Nevertells
  • Members
  • 1159 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 12:48 AM

View Postsjphaven, on 30 July 2012 - 10:03 PM, said:

I was thinking that just reinstalling everything might be easier than find out what's going on -  I've got nothing on the Touchpad which I can't get again or reload from elsewhere.

That's up to you.  I have done that before myself and only took around an hour.  One thing I learned is that as long as one uses the same account info they used to set it up the first time, all your apps will be automatically downloaded from Google's servers.

#7 sjphaven

sjphaven
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 08:59 PM

Well....I didn't reload the whole system, nor did I expand the internal memory allocation, nor did I find some new funky way of re-jigging the memory, I switched it off to save battery for a couple of days, switched it back on to read emails and hey-presto! everything is working as expected - updates installing, re-installed apps which I removed to clear space, I can only conclude that I finally killed off whatever was hogging the memory.

Thanks for all the hints and suggestions, I feel a bit deflated that the answer has turned out to be "have you turned it off and on again?" (again)

#8 Nevertells

Nevertells
  • Members
  • 1159 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 10:35 PM

View Postsjphaven, on 01 August 2012 - 08:59 PM, said:

Well....I didn't reload the whole system, nor did I expand the internal memory allocation, nor did I find some new funky way of re-jigging the memory, I switched it off to save battery for a couple of days, switched it back on to read emails and hey-presto! everything is working as expected - updates installing, re-installed apps which I removed to clear space, I can only conclude that I finally killed off whatever was hogging the memory.

Thanks for all the hints and suggestions, I feel a bit deflated that the answer has turned out to be "have you turned it off and on again?" (again)

Are you saying that you never turn your TouchPad off?  One thing to remember, when any computer is misbehaving, rebooting is the first thing to try to resolve the problem.

#9 sjphaven

sjphaven
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 09:02 PM

View PostNevertells, on 01 August 2012 - 10:35 PM, said:

Are you saying that you never turn your TouchPad off?  One thing to remember, when any computer is misbehaving, rebooting is the first thing to try to resolve the problem.

No, I'm saying I turned it off again... again - the first two power cycles didn't make any difference. The only change was that I turned it off, left it for a number of hours, and then switched on again rather than just doing a reboot.

A parting thought about rebooting - "They don't make 'em like they used to  :P" - I ran a HP-UX workstation for 1724 days continuously - that's 4.7 years. It only got switched off because all of the software apps have been ported to Linux; my new work PC gets rebooted most days, there's progress for you.