Welcome to CyanogenMod

Welcome to our forum. Like most online communities you must register to post, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the CyanogenMod Forum by signing in or creating an account. You can even sign in with your Facebook or Twitter account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Download files attached to the forum.
  • Customize your experience here
  • Share your CyanogenMod experience!
Guest Message by DevFuse

How long should first boot take?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
16 replies to this topic

#1 Kosstheory

Kosstheory
  • Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 01:00 PM

I just installed the nightly for CM9 for May 14th, and the phone is taking quite a while to boot, nearly 20 minutes so far. is this normal behavior? How do I get back to recovery now, if there's a problem?

#2 Rusty!

Rusty!
  • Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 01:57 PM

No it's not normal. To get back to recovery you'll need to power off and boot into fastboot first.

#3 Kosstheory

Kosstheory
  • Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 02:21 PM

Is fast boot the same as recovery? Volume down + power gets me to "HTC quietly brilliant" only. Sits there til I pull the battery. Is there a way to get back to fast boot?

#4 invisiblewave

invisiblewave
  • Donators
  • 1140 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 03:06 PM

No, fastboot is the bootloader menu.  If you can't get to that with vol down + power, then you've got a problem.  Are you on the ICS firmware?  It sounds as if you've somehow screwed up the bootloader and you may have to try flashing a .img file, or use ADB to see if the ADB server is running at any point during the bootloop, in which case you might be able to boot to recovery from ADB.

#5 neCh.Q

neCh.Q
  • Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 03:08 PM

Update your firmware to latest one. :ph34r:
http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=1098849
Use the one in this thread.

#6 invisiblewave

invisiblewave
  • Donators
  • 1140 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 03:11 PM

He's not going to be able to flash a zip file until he can boot into recovery.

#7 Kosstheory

Kosstheory
  • Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 03:39 PM

invisiblewave, on 15 May 2012 - 03:06 PM, said:

No, fastboot is the bootloader menu.  If you can't get to that with vol down + power, then you've got a problem.  Are you on the ICS firmware?  It sounds as if you've somehow screwed up the bootloader and you may have to try flashing a .img file, or use ADB to see if the ADB server is running at any point during the bootloop, in which case you might be able to boot to recovery from ADB.

Yes,

I can't get into Fastboot to run 4ext recovery, what I was running for recovery before trying to move to CM9 from HD Revolution. In fact, the only way I could get to recovery before trying to go to CM9 was by selecting to reboot into recovery from ROM Manager.

So, how do I go about repairing my fastboot? .img file? I've used Odin to repair my Epic 4G before. Is it the same process for an HTC phone? Where do I find the instructions?

Thanks

#8 Kosstheory

Kosstheory
  • Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 03:52 PM

Is this what I would use?

http://www.techslive...-htc-sensation/

#9 invisiblewave

invisiblewave
  • Donators
  • 1140 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 03:58 PM

Take a look on XDA here: http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=1530004.  You'll need to find a PG581MG.img file, and I think you just place in the root folder of your sd card & attempt to boot to fastboot.  I hate to say it, but if you can't get into fastboot or recovery, it sounds to me like you might have a brick on your hands unless the .img flash works.  Make sure you find GOOD INSTRUCTIONS about flashing it before doing so, don't take my word for it, I haven't had to do it, and you might want to find someone over at XDA beforehand who knows more about the Sensation, specifically, than I do, there may be a better/easier way to recover.

Just fyi, what you did was extremely risky.  If you've got a phone with a working rom that won't boot into fastboot, and the only way to get to recovery is to boot from the rom, flashing a different rom (especially an experimental one such as this) is a big risk because if the flash doesn't work, you're screwed.  It sounds like your bootloader is corrupted, I think the .img file contains a complete phone image, including the bootloader.

Fingers crossed!

Kosstheory, on 15 May 2012 - 03:52 PM, said:

Is this what I would use?

http://www.techslive...-htc-sensation/

No.  First off, that's a European download.  Second, it's a .zip file, which means you can only flash it from recovery, which you can't get to.  YOU NEED A .img FILE.

#10 invisiblewave

invisiblewave
  • Donators
  • 1140 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 04:07 PM

Your phone, when working properly, contains three operating systems.  The most basic is the bootloader (fastboot), this is similar to the bios on your desktop, it's a "bootstrap", the first thing that gets started and which is capable of starting the other systems.  Second is recovery, unfortunately on the Sensation the only way into this is via fastboot, on other devices (my old MT3G, for example), you can get to recovery when powering on my holding the menu button, this makes the phone a lot safer for flashing since if you can't get to the fastboot menu, you can still probably get to recovery.  The third o/s is the rom itself.

There are essentially two methods for flashing.  One is using .zip files, one is using .img files.  The zip is a normal, zipped version of the software, the .img is a binary image which is mapped bit by bit onto the memory.  OTA updates come via a PG581MG.img file which is downloaded to the sd card, and fastboot looks for this file every time it starts, and flashes it if present.  Zip files can only be flashed by a custom recovery.

If I were you, before doing anything else I'd see if the phone responds to ADB commands during the bootloop.

#11 Kosstheory

Kosstheory
  • Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 04:18 PM

invisiblewave, on 15 May 2012 - 04:07 PM, said:

If I were you, before doing anything else I'd see if the phone responds to ADB commands during the bootloop.

How would I do this?

#12 Kosstheory

Kosstheory
  • Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 04:30 PM

invisiblewave, on 15 May 2012 - 04:07 PM, said:

I get a device not detected error, but I don't know that I have the drivers installed.

#13 invisiblewave

invisiblewave
  • Donators
  • 1140 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 04:31 PM

If you haven't installed them, then you don't have them, they won't get automagically installed by Windows.  Read the ADB stuff on the Google Android development page.

#14 Kosstheory

Kosstheory
  • Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 05:00 PM

Update...I think the problem might have been the Vol Rocker all along. I don't think it was responding to the "VOL DOWN" position. Anyway...I'm in 4ext recovery now, and trying to install CM9 again. I should be able to do this from 4ext, right?

#15 invisiblewave

invisiblewave
  • Donators
  • 1140 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 05:03 PM

D'oh!  I think I was wrong about the .img file anyway, looks like a .zip will flash automatically.

You should be fine to flash CM9 from 4ext, afaik.  Isn't that what you did in the first place though?  Which rom are you coming from?  Did you do a superwipe?

#16 Kosstheory

Kosstheory
  • Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 06:43 PM

I was coming from Revolution HD, but I forgot to do a factory data reset; I did wipe dalvik and cache, but I'm guessing the data hosed something.

At any rate, it's up and running CM9 now. Everything seems stable at 1.38GHz CPU, or whatever the highest was.

I even installed the Purple CM9 Holo Theme; it's my fiance's phone. I was sweating bullets, for a second. If I hadn't gotten it working, she would have been pissed.

Thanks for all of the suggestions.

#17 invisiblewave

invisiblewave
  • Donators
  • 1140 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 07:22 PM

LOL.  Yeah, my woman is quick to have a sense of humour failure if I do anything she doesn't like to her phone, despite the fact that it's technically MY phone anyway!  I doubt a data issue would stop it booting.