Welcome to CyanogenMod

Welcome to our forum. Like most online communities you must register to post, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the CyanogenMod Forum by signing in or creating an account. You can even sign in with your Facebook or Twitter account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Download files attached to the forum.
  • Customize your experience here
  • Share your CyanogenMod experience!
Guest Message by DevFuse

Wifi tether with the Xbox 360

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 matthew4295

matthew4295
  • Members
  • 26 posts
  • Twitter:matthew4295
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Motorola Droid
  • CM Version:
    CM 6 (ADW.Launcher)
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 22 August 2010 - 04:26 AM

Just some questions about wifi tethering.
First:
If I use "Barnacle Wifi Tether" or "Wireless Tether for Root users" will it cost me any more on my data plan? As in, will Verizon charge me the $20 for wireless tethering? I have tethered my phone with my laptop using PdaNet via usb and they said it was coming up on Verizon's computer as if I was using it on my phone, will it do that for these apps?

Second:
Will I be able to tether with my Xbox or will I have to use a wireless hot spot?

Third:
Out of all of the wireless tethering/ Wifi Hot spot applications out there, in your opinion, what is the best one and why?

Fourth:
Are there any other ways to use my phone's internet on my Xbox that is more productive or for a good reason? (I know the way of using the computer (USB from Droid to Computer and Ethernet from Computer to Xbox) but I do not want to do it this way)

Thank you very much. Don't worry about using a little bit more of technical terms. Also I know there will be a back and fourth about "OMG dude you're going to lag everyone" etc, yet that will not happen if I am playing games with a Dedicated Servers (I.e Gears of War 2)

#2 Doctor

Doctor

Professional Cat Herder

• Donators
  • 735 posts
  • Twitter:@D0CTR
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Galaxy S4, Nexus7, Xoom
  • CM Version:
    What Time Is It?
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 22 August 2010 - 11:47 AM

matthew4295, on 22 August 2010 - 04:26 AM, said:

Just some questions about wifi tethering.
First:
If I use "Barnacle Wifi Tether" or "Wireless Tether for Root users" will it cost me any more on my data plan? As in, will Verizon charge me the $20 for wireless tethering? I have tethered my phone with my laptop using PdaNet via usb and they said it was coming up on Verizon's computer as if I was using it on my phone, will it do that for these apps?

Second:
Will I be able to tether with my Xbox or will I have to use a wireless hot spot?

Third:
Out of all of the wireless tethering/ Wifi Hot spot applications out there, in your opinion, what is the best one and why?

Fourth:
Are there any other ways to use my phone's internet on my Xbox that is more productive or for a good reason? (I know the way of using the computer (USB from Droid to Computer and Ethernet from Computer to Xbox) but I do not want to do it this way)

Thank you very much. Don't worry about using a little bit more of technical terms. Also I know there will be a back and fourth about "OMG dude you're going to lag everyone" etc, yet that will not happen if I am playing games with a Dedicated Servers (I.e Gears of War 2)
1) Not unless you use a massive amount of data. At this point in time VZW allows "unlimited" data use, but it's generally thought that anything over 5gigs a month may start to raise some eyebrows.
2) You "should" be able to. I don't have one, so I can't test it.
3) The only one I've ever used it WiFi-Tether, available in market, or here, at the Developers site. It works flawlessly for me.
4) Not that I can think of, but keep in mind that when using WiFi Tether, it uses a lot of juice, so you may want to keep your Droid on USB, or the Charger, as it will drain the battery rather quickly
I hope you find this information usefull!
:)
Doc

#3 PDR447

PDR447
  • Moderators
  • 568 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    |3|
  • CM Version:
    latest
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 22 August 2010 - 08:30 PM

Using wifi tether with Xbox sounds like you're just asking to get "caught". Verizon can and will cut you off if they feel you are breaking the T&C of your contract.

#4 matthew4295

matthew4295
  • Members
  • 26 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Motorola Droid
  • CM Version:
    CM 6 (ADW.Launcher)
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 22 August 2010 - 08:57 PM

Thank you very much. Btw I have rooted my droid and tethered having over 10Gbs of data usage, so i have broken most of Verizon's "No-No" rules and yet they haven't said anything to me. This is for only until i get my wireless router. Thank you very much! Oh and it's fun living on the edge (that's not my best "living on the edge" moment there, that would be sad if it was haha)

#5 ballocaust

ballocaust
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  • Twitter:ballocaust
  • Device Model:
    |3|
  • CM Version:
    Alpha 3
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 22 August 2010 - 10:50 PM

Haha please don't be one of those guys with the $hitty connection that gets me kicked out of a MW2 game!

#6 matthew4295

matthew4295
  • Members
  • 26 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Motorola Droid
  • CM Version:
    CM 6 (ADW.Launcher)
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 24 August 2010 - 02:30 AM

ballocaust, on 22 August 2010 - 10:50 PM, said:

Haha please don't be one of those guys with the $hitty connection that gets me kicked out of a MW2 game!
haha, no I will only play games with dedicated servers. That means no MW2 until I get a router :(....

#7 fichdak

fichdak
  • Members
  • 17 posts
  • Device Model:
    |3|
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 25 August 2010 - 10:17 PM

barnacle. the other one always drops out for me