Welcome to CyanogenMod

Welcome to our forum. Like most online communities you must register to post, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the CyanogenMod Forum by signing in or creating an account. You can even sign in with your Facebook or Twitter account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Download files attached to the forum.
  • Customize your experience here
  • Share your CyanogenMod experience!
Guest Message by DevFuse

No 7.2 for Pyramid?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
14 replies to this topic

#1 AGlider

AGlider
  • Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 08:12 AM

Have I understood well?
No 7.2 for Pyramid (aka Sensation)?
What a pity! :-(

#2 rowuor

rowuor
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 11:53 PM

Im new here, but why has this phone been forgotten?  Is there something about this phone thinking of buying one if can use cm

#3 davbran

davbran
  • Donators
  • 155 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 02:04 AM

I doubt we will see cm on this phone until HTC officially releases ICS for this phone, and won't see a 7.x till sometime after that.

The CM team haven't been secretive about the fact that CM9 overshadows 7.x projects, and the only, vocal, dev for Sensation has bowed out off the project.

It takes time, and I don't suggest any phone with a custom launcher if you want an official port done quickly.

That said, I love my phone. I'd love to see CM9 on it, but don't "need" it to boost performance as with post phones. I just like CM and heard too many negatives about the LG at the time that I bought this. LG was an unknown quantity at the time and I'd owned 5 or 6 HTC manufactured phones.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk

#4 cupholder

cupholder
  • Donators
  • 19 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 10:41 AM

Killer, I changed from a DHD running CM7.1 to a stock sensation hoping that the CM team would manage to push out a release sometime. Guess I'll just have to wait longer than I hoped I would need to. Not really enjoying my return to htc's sense and I'm not willing to put time into rooting for another ROM... Oh well   :-(

#5 cupholder

cupholder
  • Donators
  • 19 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 01:40 PM

Davbran, see this link:
http://pocketnow.com...id-sensation-xe

htc have now released the ics kernel source code for the sensation, hopefully this will bring CM9 a little closer   :-)

#6 Flyview

Flyview
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 01:41 PM

What's this?? Just saw it on top as an "announcement"

http://forum.cyanoge...2-rc1-released/

EDIT: Nevermind...must be some announcement for the entire forum.

Edited by Flyview, 21 March 2012 - 01:47 PM.

#7 AGlider

AGlider
  • Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 01:56 PM

View Postcupholder, on 20 March 2012 - 01:40 PM, said:

Davbran, see this link:
http://pocketnow.com...id-sensation-xe

htc have now released the ics kernel source code for the sensation, hopefully this will bring CM9 a little closer   :-)

The Taiwanese manufacturer has released a trio of kernel source codes and they're all Ice Cream Sandwich.
... things have gone farther than I was expecting.
Now ICS has become a "kernel"!

#8 cupholder

cupholder
  • Donators
  • 19 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 02:18 PM

Looks like CM7.2 is now out:

Not sure I have time just now, will probably wait for CM9 or give vit or opensensation a shot...

Just looked at this in more detail and nothing listed for sensation (pyramid).

#9 AGlider

AGlider
  • Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 05:07 PM

View Postcupholder, on 24 March 2012 - 02:18 PM, said:

Looks like CM7.2 is now out:

Not sure I have time just now, will probably wait for CM9 or give vit or opensensation a shot...

Just looked at this in more detail and nothing listed for sensation (pyramid).
The point is that there's no reason for holding the Pyramid port back ... AFAIK!

#10 kusotare

kusotare

with mind bullets...

• Donators
  • 45 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 07:58 AM

By the way, our wonderful CM gods have released a seven-page Q&A document (which you can find here: https://docs.google....?pli=1&sle=true ) and it has a very specific question related to us Sensation owners:
Q: How can we get Kmobs to release CyanogenMod 9 for Sensation?
A: Magic and/or Time-Travel! Keyan is no longer maintaining the Pyramid. We have 3 other developers working on this (cretin45, bumble-bee), and they are in really good shape (and the recent kernel drop from HTC helped out as well). Patience is appreciated, we will have something to show for all the effort.

So there you have it folks. Kmobs is no longer doing work on this project (and he's neck deep in medical school, so I dont blame him one bit) but we do have THREE other devs working on it, and it appears that they are very much aware of the recent kernel drop and that we are patiently waiting for CM9. Keep your fingers crossed boys and girls, but I dont think we have too much longer to wait.

#11 AGlider

AGlider
  • Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 09:39 AM

View Postkusotare, on 25 March 2012 - 07:58 AM, said:

By the way, our wonderful CM gods have released a seven-page Q&A document (which you can find here: https://docs.google....?pli=1&sle=true ) and it has a very specific question related to us Sensation owners:
9 != 7.2 AFAIK!
So I'd day that the FAQ doesn't apply.
I can understand that the devs just want to focus on the next (aka v9) release.
It'd be nice to have this stated clearly then.
Not to feed false expectations, as v7.1 is in alpha with no beta in the sight!
And my questions still stands unanswered: why holding v7.2 back!

Edited by AGlider, 25 March 2012 - 09:39 AM.

#12 cupholder

cupholder
  • Donators
  • 19 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 08:21 PM

View Postkusotare, on 25 March 2012 - 07:58 AM, said:

A: Magic and/or Time-Travel! Keyan is no longer maintaining the Pyramid. We have 3 other developers working on this (cretin45, bumble-bee), and they are in really good shape (and the recent kernel drop from HTC helped out as well). Patience is appreciated, we will have something to show for all the effort.

So there you have it folks. Kmobs is no longer doing work on this project (and he's neck deep in medical school, so I dont blame him one bit) but we do have THREE other devs working on it, and it appears that they are very much aware of the recent kernel drop and that we are patiently waiting for CM9. Keep your fingers crossed boys and girls, but I dont think we have too much longer to wait.

Thanks for the update and your input Kusotare.

You say there are still 3 dev's working on CM9 for the sensation which is great, I just wondering if you happen to know how many dev's work on other devices? I recently had a DHD and it seemed to be well supported in regards to CM7, I thought the sensation would have been supported just as much (with it being the successor to the DHD).

#13 Chef Grantisimo

Chef Grantisimo
  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 08:52 PM

View PostAGlider, on 25 March 2012 - 09:39 AM, said:

9 != 7.2 AFAIK!
So I'd day that the FAQ doesn't apply.
I can understand that the devs just want to focus on the next (aka v9) release.
It'd be nice to have this stated clearly then.
Not to feed false expectations, as v7.1 is in alpha with no beta in the sight!
And my questions still stands unanswered: why holding v7.2 back!

They did clearly state that after ICS was released in November, IIRC. The team had decided to drop Gingerbread development in favor of ICS. Hence, no CM  7.2 for Pyramid. Yeah, it sucks that the only CM release is an unofficial alpha, but they decided to go that route, and there's nothing that can change that.

#14 kusotare

kusotare

with mind bullets...

• Donators
  • 45 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 06:05 AM

In addition to all of that, why would we take a step BACKWARD? Lets see, ICS is already out for our phone model. Check. ICS kernel already released for our model. Check. So, hmm, lets go make a gingerbread ROM instead. Makes a whole lot of sense, dont you think?

And to clarify for anyone who is too busy whining about it to actually know whats going on, back in november when we got 7.1a10, Kmobs was the only one working on the project. For those of you that dont know, Kmobs is in medical school, which for the uneducated is a complete nightmare time-killer WITHOUT the added stress and time-suck of being an android developer. It simply boiled down to a simple decision: make software for phones for free or finish medical school and become a doctor. I think he made the right choice. Also, if you sort through the commentary in the XDA thread where kmobs launched the alpha CM builds for the sensation, when CM9 became a priority, he very clearly said that we would NOT be getting 7.2. He just never said it in THIS forum.

After that, who knows how long it was before someone else picked up the torch. To be perfectly honest, we're lucky someone even DID. I've been around the android community since the preorder G1 days. I bricked three devices just trying to help devs get root on the G1 alone. I've seen COUNTLESS devices where the lead project dev disappears for any number of reasons and the phone doesnt EVER get another update.

So are we stuck with an alpha build of 7.1 for right now? Yes. Are we getting 7.2? No. There is absolutely NO POINT in making a GB rom when ICS is already out and the developers are already working on it. Just be patient.

#15 AGlider

AGlider
  • Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 06:46 AM

View Postkusotare, on 26 March 2012 - 06:05 AM, said:

In addition to all of that, why would we take a step BACKWARD?
How can this consideration match with the recent v7.2-RC1 releases to 69 70 devices?
No way! 7.2 is on its way for devices far less popular than pyramid, like p925 and zeus.
And it's not a step BACKWARD. It is maintenance for the one and only current CM version. Which is v7.

View Postkusotare, on 26 March 2012 - 06:05 AM, said:

So are we stuck with an alpha build of 7.1 for right now? Yes. Are we getting 7.2? No. There is absolutely NO POINT in making a GB rom when ICS is already out and the developers are already working on it. Just be patient.
Correct, indeed.
But my original question still stands unanswered. Why holding pyramid back?