Welcome to CyanogenMod

Welcome to our forum. Like most online communities you must register to post, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the CyanogenMod Forum by signing in or creating an account. You can even sign in with your Facebook or Twitter account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Download files attached to the forum.
  • Customize your experience here
  • Share your CyanogenMod experience!
Guest Message by DevFuse

Root method for stock 2.3.5

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 fastlerner

fastlerner

Zombie Trainer

• Donators
  • 129 posts
  • Twitter:JMSchweitzer
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Samsung Showcase
  • CM Version:
    Stock 2.2.1
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 12 January 2012 - 07:58 PM

I've posted this as responses in other thread, but figured it deserved it's own.  I know I wasn't the only one scratching their head on how to make this work after the update, so here ya go.
  • Look at the Cyanogenmod wiki instructions for installing on the Showcase and follow ONLY the part about getting the right version of clockwordmod recovery manager. http://wiki.cyanogen...ll_Update_Guide
  • Then download the latest and greatest version of the signed superuser.zip and put in on your SD card.http://androidsu.com/superuser/
  • Boot into clockwork recovery and choose to install the superuser zip.
  • Reboot
DONE!!!

Future carrier updates will rewrite the recovery, but when you put ClockworkMod and install from zip, you should be able to root ANY stock version that comes out for the Showcase.

#2 fastlerner

fastlerner

Zombie Trainer

• Donators
  • 129 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Samsung Showcase
  • CM Version:
    Stock 2.2.1
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 12 January 2012 - 08:05 PM

Also, if you need the stock Roms, you can grab them over at rootzwiki and reflash with ODIN.

EE25  http://rootzwiki.com...5-froyo-update/

EI20  http://rootzwiki.com...-and-cs-modems/

#3 rbriggins

rbriggins
  • Members
  • 5 posts
  • Device Model:
    Galaxy Showcase(sch-i500)
  • CM Version:
    Cyanogen 7.1.0 showcase
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 19 January 2012 - 07:49 AM

Good information fastlerner, I would just like to add an alternative method that worked for me for installing the superuser app and clockworkmod recovery(version 4.0.1.0) from jt1134 - file name is cwm4-bml-i500.tar - on the cyanogenmod wiki for the showcase i.e. Rooting your phone. You might need to disable any antivirus software on your computer and/or phone for Odin to work properly.

1. Do your homework, research the pros/cons of installing a custom recovery on your phone and carrier. It can result in software damage to your phone if done improperly, which may or may not be repairable.
2. If you decide its worth it, search for and download all the necessary drivers for your phone if you dont have them already. Windows usually verifies this automatically when your plug the phone in with the data cable. If it recognizes the phone and you can mount sd card and view files on it, then you most likely have the drivers.
3. Search for and download superuser (the file I used was su-2.3.6.1.x) and the program Odin(i used version 1.7).
4. On your galaxy go to settings, applications, development and check enable USB debugging.
5. Connect your galaxy to your computer with the USB data cable and mount sd storage (to allow file exchange between phone and computer, just like you would do to copy pictures from your phone).
6. Copy the superuser file(su-2.3.6.1.x), downloaded earlier, to the root directory of the sd card and not inside any folder.
7. Tap unmount sd card on phone then unplug the data cable from the phone and not the computer you will need it soon.
8. Turn the phone off and pull the battery out.
9. Install Odin to windows if you didnt after it downloaded and open it up and click the PDA button to open the clockworkmod recovery file(cwm4-bml-i500.tar) you downloaded from the wiki.
10. Leave all options unchecked in Odin.
11. While holding the volume down button on the phone, insert the data cable. When you see the yellow, android downloading screen appear release the volume down
12. You are now in download mode and Odin should recognize the phone in one of the white boxes ID:COM
13. Re-insert the battery and click start in Odin.
14. Once the install completes Odin will say pass and the phone should shut off.
15. To launch the new cwm recovery, hold both volume up and while holding them down press and hold the power on button until you see the samsung logo boot.
16. Inside the recovery you will see the option to install zip from sd card, volume down will take you there, power button will select it.
17. Next, select choose zip from sd card
18. Select to install the superuser zip file(su-2.3.6.1.x) you put on the sd card earlier.
19. When its done go back until you see reboot system now.

Youre all set. Now you can use apps that are for root only users, flash new roms such as cyanogenmod 7, and perform nandroid back ups.

Edited by rbriggins, 19 January 2012 - 08:16 AM.

#4 Tangentabacus

Tangentabacus
  • Members
  • 28 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Samsung Showcase
  • CM Version:
    Cyanogen 7
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 22 February 2012 - 12:14 AM

fastlerner: Does your root method work with other carriers? I want to root my Showcase, but I'm a tad bit afraid to mess it up again like I had to do last time I put CM7 on it. That was hell to figure out. Honestly I want to have CM7 very badly, but I can't because it makes my phone unusable. So will your root method mess with anything like CM7 did?

#5 fastlerner

fastlerner

Zombie Trainer

• Donators
  • 129 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Samsung Showcase
  • CM Version:
    Stock 2.2.1
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 27 February 2012 - 05:21 PM

Tangentabacus, on 22 February 2012 - 12:14 AM, said:

fastlerner: Does your root method work with other carriers? I want to root my Showcase, but I'm a tad bit afraid to mess it up again like I had to do last time I put CM7 on it. That was hell to figure out. Honestly I want to have CM7 very badly, but I can't because it makes my phone unusable. So will your root method mess with anything like CM7 did?

The premise to install root should work with any phone on any carrier as you're not changing your ROM, only installing superuser to the existing ROM.  The main thing is that you need to get the appropriate version of ClockWorkMod Recovery Manager (or Aman Ra recovery) in place of your stock recovery to give you the ability to install a zip from the recovery manager.  Check the cyanogenmod wiki for device specific instructions.  

Then grab the latest version of superuser, place the zip on your SD, boot into recovery and install from zip.  Once SuperUser is installed you are effectively rooted.

Having said all that though, what other carrier are you on?  The "showcase" is specific to C-Spire/Cellular South.  On other carriers it's known as the Fascinate and Mesmerize.

#6 Tangentabacus

Tangentabacus
  • Members
  • 28 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Samsung Showcase
  • CM Version:
    Cyanogen 7
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 01 March 2012 - 09:51 AM

I have an honest to God Showcase. I'm on ACS which is why I'm so skeptical about all this... My corner consists of like maybe %3 of all Showcases on the market. Lack of support means I need to be careful of how I modify my phone.

#7 Tangentabacus

Tangentabacus
  • Members
  • 28 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Samsung Showcase
  • CM Version:
    Cyanogen 7
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 01 March 2012 - 10:16 AM

Just to report: At this moment (approx 20 mins after SU install with method above) my phone is just hunky dory...