Welcome to CyanogenMod

Welcome to our forum. Like most online communities you must register to post, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the CyanogenMod Forum by signing in or creating an account. You can even sign in with your Facebook or Twitter account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Download files attached to the forum.
  • Customize your experience here
  • Share your CyanogenMod experience!
Guest Message by DevFuse

Seeking Unroot and Root Guidance, Please Help

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 LostOne

LostOne
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  • Device Model:
    Nook Color
  • CM Version:
    Honeycomb
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 02 January 2012 - 03:27 AM

I received a Nook Color for Christmas.  It came already rooted by the giver, he tells me he used LockerGnome's root for Nook 1.2.  http://www.lockergno...oot-nook-color/

He said it worked smoothly, no issues.  But the end result is some awkward hybrid of the nook stock and what I believe is Honeycomb (can't confirm because the only place I am seeing "about" for a version is giving me the nook 1.2 version).  Because of this weird hybrid I have encountered certain things I am unable to use such as Netflix and certain other apps that apparently don't like Nook.  

I am a noob to rooting devices. What I am hoping to do is unroot and restore to stock, then start over and setup a dual boot of Nook 1.4 and CM7.  Is this possible at this point or did the previous root hose me on this somehow?  I have searched around and was not able to find answers that seemed clearcut for my situation.

I see at the youtube link below that supposedly the dual boot with nook 1.4 can be done, I was just hoping for a clear walkthrough on how to unroot my nook and set it up a dual boot with guidelines similar to LockerGnome's because that looks like clearcut easy to follow instructions.

#2 LostOne

LostOne
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  • Device Model:
    Nook Color
  • CM Version:
    Honeycomb
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 02 January 2012 - 03:44 AM

I should also add I am fine with one of the CM7 on SD setups as long as I don't have to pull the card to go back to Nook Stock.  Presuming I can use the free space on the SD card for storage as normal.

#3 LostOne

LostOne
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  • Device Model:
    Nook Color
  • CM Version:
    Honeycomb
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 05 January 2012 - 02:36 AM

Update, I unrooted the nook color while repartitioning so I could have more than 1gb to sideload.  Still hoping for some guidance on how to setup a dualboot between stock OS (hoping for 1.4.1) and CM7.

#4 steakified

steakified
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  • Device Model:
    HTC Evo 4G
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 09 January 2012 - 04:27 AM

@LostOne,

I am not sure about 1.4.1 however I rooted my nook color this way using the guidance from Crash Tech Dummies.  It was pretty easy to do and the guys were pretty thorough on how the process works.  My nook color was 1.3 and if I remove the SD card my nook color will boot into the stock OS.

at the youtube site, look up crash tech dummies.
good luck.

#5 bobstro

bobstro

We have reviewed your comments...

• Donators
  • 86 posts
  • Twitter:ttlexceeded
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Various
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 09 January 2012 - 09:49 PM

LostOne, on 05 January 2012 - 02:36 AM, said:

Update, I unrooted the nook color while repartitioning so I could have more than 1gb to sideload.  Still hoping for some guidance on how to setup a dualboot between stock OS (hoping for 1.4.1) and CM7.
From what you've described, it sounds like you'd be best off doing a full reset to stock since you're not sure what's "hybrid" on your device. I'd suggest updating to 1.4.1 while you're at it. You can root 1.4.1, and dual-boot with CM7 on SD. You do not have to root 1.4.1 (or any stock version) to dual-boot off of SD.

One downer to dual-booting is that you can't really set up shared storage easily. The boot partition on the SD card, usually small (~119 MB) is seen by the B&N firmware as your SD card. This can cause problems with some apps that expect a full SD to use. You can experiment with making the boot partition larger, but that won't be seen as storage by CM either. I'd suggest 2 SD cards, one to boot into CM with, and the other for stock B&N storage.

If you're not heavily into B&N content -- enhanced books, magazine and newspaper subscriptions -- I'd go with CM on eMMC (internal). It's much simpler.

#6 LostOne

LostOne
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  • Device Model:
    Nook Color
  • CM Version:
    Honeycomb
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 10 January 2012 - 12:55 AM

Too clarify, I was looking for an on-nook dual boot solution.  The link I posted is for rooting the nook using cyanogenmod so it can boot into two different partitions depending on if you hold the volume buttons during bootup or not.  I went ahead and tried it, the boot into CM7 worked fine, but the nook partition froze during bootup every time.  So I did a full restore to 1.0.1 to restore the partitioning and everything and updated to 1.4.1.  I think I'll try the SD card CM7 option.  

But for the SD card CM7 I'm wanting some clarification about the partitions:
If I have two partitions:
A: has CM7 on it, but also is what Nook stock will try to use for storage
B: Is this what CM7 will use for storage?  Can CM7 use any storage on the Nook itself?

Edited by LostOne, 10 January 2012 - 12:56 AM.