Welcome to CyanogenMod

Welcome to our forum. Like most online communities you must register to post, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the CyanogenMod Forum by signing in or creating an account. You can even sign in with your Facebook or Twitter account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Download files attached to the forum.
  • Customize your experience here
  • Share your CyanogenMod experience!
Guest Message by DevFuse

Battery drains very quickly (phone running even when not in use)

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 VeinRipper

VeinRipper
  • Members
  • 34 posts
  • Twitter:VeinRipper
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    |1|
  • CM Version:
    CM6.0.0
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 01 August 2010 - 02:49 PM

I've been running CM6 RC2 for the past week and using the same apps that i had in RC1 and the Modaco releases, so no change in my usage pattern.

Recently I have been noticing heavy battery drain when the phone is not in use. Yesterday, I unplugged it from the charger and the battery was at 75%, 4 hours later I checked my phone and it was at 25%. Spare Parts shows the phone was running (time without sleeping) for 2h30min. However I didn't even touch the phone and i was in an area with good signal, Time without signal wasn't being shown.

Same thing happened this morning, after charging it to 100% I left the phone alone for 1h30min, when I checked it i was at 94% and spare parts showed the phone was "running" for 30min.

The only app that runs in the background and has changed recently is beautiful widgets. However I removed all the widgets and I'm still seeing the same behavior.

Is there any method with which i can isolate which app or service is causing the phone not to sleep?

Thanks

#2 temasek

temasek
  • Donators
  • 3345 posts
  • Twitter:temasek71
    sg - Singapore
  • Device Model:
    Nexus One / O2X
  • CM Version:
    CM7.2.0 RC0 SelfKANG
  • Recovery Image:
    Amon_RA

Posted 01 August 2010 - 04:00 PM

My idle. Battery usage is about 1 % per hour.  Airplane mode is less than . 5 % per hour. Something must be draining your battery.  Checkout applications,  running apps.

Try charging to 100% and once you achieve that turn off your phone and continue charging for an hour or so.  You may be surprise that at times when you off the phone after 100% charge,  the led still red while on a charger.

#3 VeinRipper

VeinRipper
  • Members
  • 34 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    |1|
  • CM Version:
    CM6.0.0
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 01 August 2010 - 04:52 PM

I used to get 1%/h like you, but now it's draining like crazy. I checked running services/running applications and there's nothing out of the ordinary. I'm going to try uninstalling a few apps and see how that goes.

#4 fidorulz18

fidorulz18
  • Members
  • 84 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    |1|
  • CM Version:
    CM 6
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 01 August 2010 - 06:21 PM

Im having similar issues as posted here

http://forum.cyanoge...e-battery-life/

RC2 didnt help. Seems issue is random and ive tried with no apps installed on a clean wipe. Using ATT N1 BTW.

Sometimes issue occurs sometimes not.Here is what juice plotter shows. Almost exactly 10% per hr and this is with no data (juicedefender stops data from 10pm-10am and I have setcpu to lower my cpu when screen is off)

As you can see lost almost 60% in maybe 6hrs

Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image

Edited by fidorulz18, 01 August 2010 - 06:21 PM.

#5 Dylan

Dylan
  • Members
  • 33 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    nexus one
  • CM Version:
    CM latest
  • Recovery Image:
    Amon_RA

Posted 02 August 2010 - 01:06 AM

Install setcpu, on xda for free if you don't wanna pay. Make sure that it is set to scalable "on demand" same thing was happening to me & a few other members. RC2 seems to be defaulted to a userspace setting & mine was running at 883mhz 100% of the time. Changed & back to 3 times better battery life!
hopefully this helps you.

#6 fidorulz18

fidorulz18
  • Members
  • 84 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    |1|
  • CM Version:
    CM 6
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 02 August 2010 - 03:17 AM

View PostDylan, on 02 August 2010 - 01:06 AM, said:

Install setcpu, on xda for free if you don't wanna pay. Make sure that it is set to scalable "on demand" same thing was happening to me & a few other members. RC2 seems to be defaulted to a userspace setting & mine was running at 883mhz 100% of the time. Changed & back to 3 times better battery life!
hopefully this helps you.

Didn't fix anything this was even with rc1. Was yours originally stock AT&T?

#7 VeinRipper

VeinRipper
  • Members
  • 34 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    |1|
  • CM Version:
    CM6.0.0
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 02 August 2010 - 12:11 PM

Alright, so I may have figured out what the culprit was. Beautiful Widgets just updated to version 3.0 recently and I was suspicious of the timing. So like I mentioned in my original post I disabled all widgets without much success. So i went a step further and uninstalled it completely. I started with a full charge, and after 12h I am down to 52% with moderate use. I will try to reinstall beautiful widgets and see if I can reproduce.

#8 fidorulz18

fidorulz18
  • Members
  • 84 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    |1|
  • CM Version:
    CM 6
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 02 August 2010 - 12:40 PM

View PostVeinRipper, on 02 August 2010 - 12:11 PM, said:

Alright, so I may have figured out what the culprit was. Beautiful Widgets just updated to version 3.0 recently and I was suspicious of the timing. So like I mentioned in my original post I disabled all widgets without much success. So i went a step further and uninstalled it completely. I started with a full charge, and after 12h I am down to 52% with moderate use. I will try to reinstall beautiful widgets and see if I can reproduce.

Don't have that app on mine

#9 VeinRipper

VeinRipper
  • Members
  • 34 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    |1|
  • CM Version:
    CM6.0.0
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 02 August 2010 - 01:48 PM

IMO... start uninstalling apps that is allowed to run in the background.

#10 EddtheBrit

EddtheBrit
  • Donators
  • 93 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Nexus One
  • CM Version:
    CM7.0.2.1
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 02 August 2010 - 05:41 PM

SetCPU doesn't seem to work properly on rc2 until you revert Superuser to the previous version. Now it remembers my choices.

I am worried about charging. Since moving to rc2 the battery charging never reaches 100% and never says "fully charged" anymore. It only ever gets to 99% and always says "charging." Isn't it bad for a battery to be continually charged and not stop when full? And btw yes, I have wiped my battery stats.

#11 temasek

temasek
  • Donators
  • 3345 posts
  • Twitter:temasek71
    sg - Singapore
  • Device Model:
    Nexus One / O2X
  • CM Version:
    CM7.2.0 RC0 SelfKANG
  • Recovery Image:
    Amon_RA

Posted 03 August 2010 - 10:30 AM

View PostEddtheBrit, on 02 August 2010 - 05:41 PM, said:

SetCPU doesn't seem to work properly on rc2 until you revert Superuser to the previous version. Now it remembers my choices.

I am worried about charging. Since moving to rc2 the battery charging never reaches 100% and never says "fully charged" anymore. It only ever gets to 99% and always says "charging." Isn't it bad for a battery to be continually charged and not stop when full? And btw yes, I have wiped my battery stats.
Try charging with your phone turned off for sometime.

#12 joe.attaboy

joe.attaboy
  • Donators
  • 57 posts
  • Twitter:@joe_dougherty
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Nexus One
  • CM Version:
    CM7-RC4
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 03 August 2010 - 11:06 AM

View PostEddtheBrit, on 02 August 2010 - 05:41 PM, said:

Lithium-ion batteries also need to be calibrated from time to time. I would try this: allow the battery to drain down until the phone shuts off completely. Do not power the phone back on when it does (that could possibly suck out the tiny life charge the battery needs). Now plug the phone in to charge and leave it in for an hour or two *after* the charge LED does green . In fact, if you could just leave it in the charger over night for 8 hours or so, that would be good. Don't power up the phone during this charge.

This should help get the battery recalibrated so it knows it's actual charge capacity. This is something that's recommended for LI-ON batteries for all devices to help them last longer. i do this for all my LI-ON battery devices about every 30-40 charge cycles.

#13 EddtheBrit

EddtheBrit
  • Donators
  • 93 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Nexus One
  • CM Version:
    CM7.0.2.1
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 03 August 2010 - 11:32 AM

Ok, will try deep cycle technique. Thanks for the tip. :D

#14 VeinRipper

VeinRipper
  • Members
  • 34 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    |1|
  • CM Version:
    CM6.0.0
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 03 August 2010 - 03:44 PM

Well, the problem still seems to be there. I uninstalled all the apps except gapps and it's behaving the same way. Above 50% "running" in spare parts. Reverting to my RC1 nand backup to see if the problem persists.

#15 ushi

ushi
  • Members
  • 297 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    G2
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 03 August 2010 - 07:06 PM

Running RC2, only getting ~1% drain per hour in idle.

Every time I reboot the phone setcpu gets stuck in userspace, takes a couple tries to make sure it sticks on ondemand.

#16 VeinRipper

VeinRipper
  • Members
  • 34 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    |1|
  • CM Version:
    CM6.0.0
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 03 August 2010 - 09:30 PM

Have been running RC1 with the same apps as in RC2 same settings for 6 hours now and I have been getting much better battery life. Also Spare Parts shows "running" below 13%. Same usage patter as before. I will try and do a clean install of RC2 and then install all my apps using titanium backup and see how that works out.

#17 VeinRipper

VeinRipper
  • Members
  • 34 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    |1|
  • CM Version:
    CM6.0.0
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 04 August 2010 - 12:03 PM

I can confirm that RC1 with the same apps drains the battery a 1%/hour while the phone is sleeping. I will be switching to RC2 after a wipe.

#18 AdiLucian

AdiLucian
  • Members
  • 7 posts
    ro - Romania
  • Device Model:
    |2|
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    Amon_RA

Posted 04 August 2010 - 05:42 PM

I've had this problem ...and the solution i've found was to flash again the radio..

#19 fidorulz18

fidorulz18
  • Members
  • 84 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    |1|
  • CM Version:
    CM 6
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 04 August 2010 - 06:34 PM

View PostAdiLucian, on 04 August 2010 - 05:42 PM, said:

I've had this problem ...and the solution i've found was to flash again the radio..

Ive flashed mine to different ones with the same results.Just out of curiosity im using an ATT band N1. Are people having this issue also using the same device? Could be radio issue with 1900/850 3G band

#20 emjey

emjey
  • Members
  • 6 posts
  • Twitter:mjne_19
  • Device Model:
    |1|
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 05 August 2010 - 08:20 AM

hi guys. i just switched from modaco rom to cynanogen... im liking it much but i can't see market. where can i download it? where can i purchase apps? thanks