Welcome to CyanogenMod

Welcome to our forum. Like most online communities you must register to post, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the CyanogenMod Forum by signing in or creating an account. You can even sign in with your Facebook or Twitter account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Download files attached to the forum.
  • Customize your experience here
  • Share your CyanogenMod experience!
Guest Message by DevFuse

How do you root the xperia play R800i?

xperia play rooting

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 XPlayGamer

XPlayGamer
  • Members
  • 9 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    xperia play R800i
  • CM Version:
    none
  • Recovery Image:
    TWRP

Posted 10 November 2011 - 10:43 PM

Hello guys I want to root  my phone then flash to cyanogenmod 7 but I don't know the right method to use. Can i Root my device with ginerbreak and install rom manager then flash clockwork mod recovery? (BTW I upgraded to 2.3.4 for the 720p camera but the quality is not that grate and it looks like its zooming in and out constantly its quite anyoing.) Please help I'm a noob when it comes to android flashing.

#2 Bazamuffin

Bazamuffin
  • Members
  • 144 posts
    uk - United Kingdom
  • Device Model:
    Xperia Play R800i
  • CM Version:
    CM7.1.0.1
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 11 November 2011 - 07:04 AM

2.3.4 closes the loophole for Gingerbreak.  Use google for instructions on unlocking bootloader and rooting your phone

#3 XPlayGamer

XPlayGamer
  • Members
  • 9 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    xperia play R800i
  • CM Version:
    none
  • Recovery Image:
    TWRP

Posted 11 November 2011 - 01:15 PM

Bazamuffin, on 11 November 2011 - 07:04 AM, said:

2.3.4 closes the loophole for Gingerbreak.  Use google for instructions on unlocking bootloader and rooting your phone
thank you sir i'll try to look it up on google. just a few questions though. Is cyanogenmod better than the stock rom? and are any features missng? last question does all the hardware and wireless stuff work?

#4 Bazamuffin

Bazamuffin
  • Members
  • 144 posts
    uk - United Kingdom
  • Device Model:
    Xperia Play R800i
  • CM Version:
    CM7.1.0.1
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 11 November 2011 - 01:33 PM

My personal opinion is that its not worth it.  Camera apps, touchpads, haptic feedback are all hit an miss.  Plus, you lose PS Pocket as its not open source.  Far too many cons for my liking, I switched back after trying 3-4 versions of CM7

#5 dan555

dan555
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  • Device Model:
    Motorola CLIQ XT QUENCH
  • CM Version:
    None
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 11 November 2011 - 09:44 PM

I have found the easiest method is this:
http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=1130639
Unlock bootloader, copy rootxperia.zip to SD card, run clockworkmod recovery with fastboot (do not flash), install rootxperia.zip

#6 XPlayGamer

XPlayGamer
  • Members
  • 9 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    xperia play R800i
  • CM Version:
    none
  • Recovery Image:
    TWRP

Posted 13 November 2011 - 11:14 PM

Bazamuffin, on 11 November 2011 - 01:33 PM, said:

My personal opinion is that its not worth it.  Camera apps, touchpads, haptic feedback are all hit an miss.  Plus, you lose PS Pocket as its not open source.  Far too many cons for my liking, I switched back after trying 3-4 versions of CM7
ok thanks for the info. This is interesting http://www.joystiq.c...ta-in-nove/  Im sure that cyanogenmod will get their hands on that sdk so we could see playstaytion pocket in a few weeks or next month.

#7 XPlayGamer

XPlayGamer
  • Members
  • 9 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    xperia play R800i
  • CM Version:
    none
  • Recovery Image:
    TWRP

Posted 15 November 2011 - 05:30 AM

Bazamuffin, on 11 November 2011 - 07:04 AM, said:

this is a surprise i tried gingerbreak and apparently it still works on 2.3.4 i have superuser.apk in my phone now

#8 Bazamuffin

Bazamuffin
  • Members
  • 144 posts
    uk - United Kingdom
  • Device Model:
    Xperia Play R800i
  • CM Version:
    CM7.1.0.1
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 15 November 2011 - 05:58 PM

XPlayGamer, on 15 November 2011 - 05:30 AM, said:

this is a surprise i tried gingerbreak and apparently it still works on 2.3.4 i have superuser.apk in my phone now

I couldn't get it working on 2.3.3, had to break it on 2.3.2 and then OTA update to 2.3.3 (root remained).  Breaking it on 2.3.3 didn't work as the loophole was closed on that too.  Can't find the link, but it clearly stated that another exploit would have to be found

#9 XPlayGamer

XPlayGamer
  • Members
  • 9 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    xperia play R800i
  • CM Version:
    none
  • Recovery Image:
    TWRP

Posted 16 November 2011 - 02:27 AM

just to be clear on whether or not i want to put cyanogenmod 7 on the play. I can flash back to the sony rom through a clockworkmod backup. and one last thing before I leave this topic. after I unlocked the bootloader and flash clockworkmod and then cyanogen with fastboot.  if I decide to flash back to the sony rom will i still be able to get sonys latest andoid updates?  just trying to learn about android modding. (also this is my main phone and dont realy know if this is a safe procedure or not never done this kind of thing before)

#10 Bazamuffin

Bazamuffin
  • Members
  • 144 posts
    uk - United Kingdom
  • Device Model:
    Xperia Play R800i
  • CM Version:
    CM7.1.0.1
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 16 November 2011 - 08:56 AM

Yes you can restore stock rom, either via a CWM backup or using Flashtool.  It will restore factory settings so you can get updates as if it was out of the box

#11 XPlayGamer

XPlayGamer
  • Members
  • 9 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    xperia play R800i
  • CM Version:
    none
  • Recovery Image:
    TWRP

Posted 16 November 2011 - 04:36 PM

thanks for the help im going to give it a shot i dont really use playstaytion pocket since it does not work in the United states. but i do use the get games app if thats still there in cyanogen im going for it.

#12 Bazamuffin

Bazamuffin
  • Members
  • 144 posts
    uk - United Kingdom
  • Device Model:
    Xperia Play R800i
  • CM Version:
    CM7.1.0.1
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 16 November 2011 - 05:04 PM

I don't think its there mate, at least I don't recall seeing it.  Camera is glitchy as are the touchpads.  These issues are still to be resolved in official builds as far as I'm aware

#13 XPlayGamer

XPlayGamer
  • Members
  • 9 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    xperia play R800i
  • CM Version:
    none
  • Recovery Image:
    TWRP

Posted 17 November 2011 - 01:42 AM

Bazamuffin, on 16 November 2011 - 05:04 PM, said:

I don't think its there mate, at least I don't recall seeing it.  Camera is glitchy as are the touchpads.  These issues are still to be resolved in official builds as far as I'm aware
if you dont mind me asking what path did you take to get cyanogenmod on your play? I found this site http://www.xperiagam...ting&Itemid=100 but I don't know if its the right way to go.

#14 Bazamuffin

Bazamuffin
  • Members
  • 144 posts
    uk - United Kingdom
  • Device Model:
    Xperia Play R800i
  • CM Version:
    CM7.1.0.1
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 17 November 2011 - 09:10 AM

XPlayGamer, on 17 November 2011 - 01:42 AM, said:

if you dont mind me asking what path did you take to get cyanogenmod on your play? I found this site http://www.xperiagam...ting&Itemid=100 but I don't know if its the right way to go.
Hit the pinned link at the top of the Stable Mod forum

#15 poo-tang

poo-tang
  • Members
  • 19 posts
  • Device Model:
    r800i
  • CM Version:
    cyanogenmod-7-1-0-rc1-xperiaplay-r800i-kang
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 17 November 2011 - 04:01 PM

xplaygamer lol www.xperiagamer.com is my site. if you want pics of every step follow on xperiagamer. if want more to the point instructions there on here where baza said. in rooting for beginers follow the bootloader step at top miss out the rooting part should tell you to move on to cyanogen installation section. cyan does have the get games by the way. to everyone check out our site for everything play.