Welcome to CyanogenMod

Welcome to our forum. Like most online communities you must register to post, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the CyanogenMod Forum by signing in or creating an account. You can even sign in with your Facebook or Twitter account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Download files attached to the forum.
  • Customize your experience here
  • Share your CyanogenMod experience!
Guest Message by DevFuse

Wifi Problems after Cyanogenmod 7.1

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 dwkjohn

dwkjohn
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  • Device Model:
    NookColor
  • CM Version:
    CM 7.1
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 14 December 2011 - 01:27 AM

Hey Guys!

umm i am not that good with technical terms. :blink: :unsure:  i updated just five minutes ago from cyanogenmod 7.0.8 to 7.1.0 i didnt see any difference.  i turned on the wifi like usual and opened my browser. i googled the new features. it wouldnt load. :wacko:  i looked at the status bar and the wifi icon had 3 bars but they were gray instead of green like usual when connected. i checked settings and it said connected. <_<  i turned wifi off and on. i hit forget network and retyped the password. i am rebooting now. i changed the channels. i tried everything. :angry:  what else can i do? i use it daily for school and work. i need the wifi to work. :(  if it wont work then please tell me how to uninstall 7.1 and go back to 7.0.8. :mellow: i backed the rom up before i updated so i can do that right? :huh: please help. thanx so much.
sorry if i used to many emotes. i like emotes. haha hope u dont take it as emote spam. :ph34r:

#2 ashton4life

ashton4life
  • Members
  • 52 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Touchpad
  • CM Version:
    Alpha 3
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 14 December 2011 - 04:40 PM

From what I have seen the wifi is a bit buggy even with WebOS. What has worked better for me is to make sure my router is set for B/G/N Mixed  or just B/G because the Wifi card only supports B/G NOT N!! So if your wifi is set to only N it wont connect. Also I noticed if i don't run a security password it works flawless. Suks but true. For some reason heavy duty security routers dont like the TP. Just my 2 cents

#3 robj144

robj144
  • Members
  • 3 posts
  • Device Model:
    HP Touchpad
  • CM Version:
    Alpha 3.5
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 15 December 2011 - 09:52 PM

tiam, on 26 November 2011 - 04:12 AM, said:

I have exactly the same problem. It just keeps trying to obtain IP. Once in while it connects but in less than 10 seconds, it goes back to obtaining IP in this infinite loop.

It's been posted many times, but in the terminal type:

su

rm -rf /data/misc/wifi && reboot

This will reset your wifi connections, so you'll have to input your WPA or WEP password again, but it will get the wifi working for a while.

#4 joker920

joker920
  • Donators
  • 77 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    HP Touchpad & Galaxy S3
  • CM Version:
    CM9 Night 5/13 & CM 10.1
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 20 December 2011 - 02:49 AM

I am on 3.5 and I am unable to connect to the WiFi at my work. A am still able to connect using WebOS at work, just not through Android.
I am able to connect at home.

At home, I use WEP encryption.
Work uses WPA/WPA2 PSK encryption.

Does anyone know if the Alpha 3.5 has been built to handle WPA/WPA2 PSK encryption?

Can anyone here confirm that they are able to connect through WPA/WPA2 PSK encryption?

#5 Shadowex3

Shadowex3
  • Members
  • 20 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Sprintercept/Touchpad
  • CM Version:
    Stock/CM9
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 21 December 2011 - 08:47 AM

I use WPA2 PSK just fine on my home network and on campus. It's just a typical alpha-release bug, run "rm -rf /data/misc/wifi && reboot" as SU and you'll be fine after it boots back up again. You need to do this anytime your wifi starts refusing to connect.

#6 metal321

metal321
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  • Device Model:
    HP Touchpad
  • CM Version:
    7.1.0-tenderloin-alpha3.5
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 23 December 2011 - 12:34 AM

When I try to access the wifi settings my Touchpad starts to freeze up and is very unresponsive. Previously, when the Touchpad wouldn't connect to my home network, I would select another network to connect to and then I would reselect my home network and it would then connect normally. I'm now stuck on another network I selected and can't get back to my home network because it is freezing up so badly. None of the other menus are freezing up. Only when I select Wireless & Networks does it start freezing up. I installed the most recent Cyanogenmod update but that seemed to work fine and I don't think that is the problem. Do I need to reinstall Cyanogenmod on my Touchpad?

#7 mastamind518

mastamind518
  • Members
  • 7 posts
  • Device Model:
    Touchpad 32gb
  • CM Version:
    CM7
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 23 December 2011 - 02:05 AM

Recently started experiencing wifi problems when I came home for holidays. Only difference I see is more than 5 available APs which makes the wifi page freeze. Need to go into terminal and reset wifi settings for it to work properly. But problem returns day after.

Sent from my Touchpad using Tapatalk

#8 jorlen

jorlen
  • Donators
  • 6 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    HP Touchpad 32gb
  • CM Version:
    CM 7.1 (a3.5)
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 23 December 2011 - 02:09 AM

WPA2 PSK hidden SSID and MAC filtering.  Perfect, cept for if I power down I gotta turn my wifi back on, no biggie.

#9 Shadowex3

Shadowex3
  • Members
  • 20 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Sprintercept/Touchpad
  • CM Version:
    Stock/CM9
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 23 December 2011 - 11:56 PM

I used to use MAC filtering but between my TP not recognizing it's mac address at first and realising how trivially easy it is to spoof those I gave it up.

#10 HotLikeFriction

HotLikeFriction
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 07:09 AM

sadssandiford, on 17 October 2011 - 08:23 AM, said:

Hi All, just solved the problem thanks to other posts!!  All I had to do was change the router channel from 11 to 5!  Now works wonderfully with no drop offs!!  Easy as that!!

Here's a more reliable and easier fix to changing your router channel, since you can't change the channel on every router you may try to use.  I've posted it all over the forum, so I apologize if you're seeing it for the umpteenth time:

I was not having the wifi troubles that two other touchpad owners I know were having.  I installed Android on both of their devices, but couldn't figure out what to do to fix it and it was making me insane.  Finally, we reset all our routers to a channel below 5 and found that they all connected to wifi well, HOWEVER, I found a better solution.  I don't know if anyone has noticed this, but this must be a setting I fiddled with on my TP, that the other two TP owners had not fiddled with.  

Go into Wifi Settings, then click the Menu button at the bottom left (the three bars)...  click Advanced then click Regulatory Domain.  In my touchpad, I had clicked on the 11 Channel option.  On the two touchpads that could not regularly connect to wifi, neither had a selection made whatsoever under "Regulatory Domain."  After clicking "11 Channels," all three touchpads can connect to wifi with no issues AT ALL, no matter the channel.

I almost can't believe this hasn't been posted in other forums yet, because it seems to be the key and much easier than setting every router you want to connect to, to a different channel.

Please let me know if this works.

#11 XtC_o3

XtC_o3
  • Members
  • 4 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Droid X
  • CM Version:
    Cyanogenmod 7.1.0-KANG
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 10 March 2012 - 11:36 PM

I know this is an old topic,
But I was having the same problem - I found a fix that worked for me, and figured if anyone else was still having problems that this might help you to.

I found that I was only having this problem when near my work computer and my laptop at home - So I thought what do these two computers have in common; considering ones a Mac and the Other is a Dell.
They both have Bluetooth adapters and are setup to automatically scan and are discoverable. Characteristics of this problem would be Disconnected - Scanning - Connecting - Disconnected Loop when near the Bluetooth Device and perfect connect when you walk away.

So try and either unplug it if it's a dongle or turn it off it's built in. If this works, then mess with your Bluetooth settings till you can have the two live in harmony.
As I don't care for Bluetooth on my Dell Laptop considering I don't use it, So unplugging my Dongle is as far as I'm going to go.

Best of luck & Hope this works!

#12 chaimu3031

chaimu3031
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  • Device Model:
    hp touchpad
  • CM Version:
    Cyanogenmod 7.1
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 12 March 2012 - 12:03 AM

HP TOUCHPAD CYANOGENMOD 7.1
Happened to me after last system update.
Found a very simple fix:

wifi-settings->option key for advanced setting-> set regulatory domain to 11 channels.

For some reason none of the 3 options was selected, probably why it kept on freezing when connecting.