Welcome to CyanogenMod

Welcome to our forum. Like most online communities you must register to post, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the CyanogenMod Forum by signing in or creating an account. You can even sign in with your Facebook or Twitter account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Download files attached to the forum.
  • Customize your experience here
  • Share your CyanogenMod experience!
Guest Message by DevFuse

External/internal SD card. Need help,...

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 aschweti

aschweti
  • Members
  • 7 posts
  • Device Model:
    Samsung Galaxy S2 (i9100)
  • CM Version:
    CyanogenMode-7-08312011-NIGHTLY-GalaxyS2
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 11 September 2011 - 11:08 PM

Hi there,

first of all CM7 is great an I never had areal problem with it, but now I would need some help regarding my SD card(s). I have read a lot, but I can't find an answer to what I am looking for. For other people it seems the problem is vice versa or I have a lack of understanding.

Please let me explain:

I have 3 types of memory and I am using the naming Titanium Backup gives me:

1. Internal (approx 2GB)
2. Internal eMMC (approx 32GB)
3. SD-Card (approx 16GB)

My apps are located either on (1.) or on (3.), which might be OK under normal circumstances. As far as I understand, number 3 which is called SD-Card is an internal card, which can not be removed. I placed an external micro SDHC card with 32GB into my phone. As the internal SD-Card (3.) is completly full, I would need to use my card (32GB) for my apps and maybe use the internal 16GB for music or whatever. Is this possible, especially as I have all the data already on the internal SD-Card, so II would not only need to switch card, but also copy everything from 3. to 2.

Having my external eMMC for apps, so having 16GB more than I have right now, would really save my live!!!

So my problem is not to access all of those memories. I find eMMC and sdcard by using ES File Explorer just fine. What I need is switching both SD Cards. I believe I found some scripts regarding switching but it sounded like they would switch to what I have already. Also it didn't give any hints how to get all the data for internal SD Card to external eMMC.

Any help is highly appreciated!!

Thanks and kind regards,

Alex

#2 Kaik541

Kaik541

The Arsehole Samsung Moderator

• Moderators
  • 598 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Samsung Captivate
  • CM Version:
    CyanogenMod 7 Nightlies
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 12 September 2011 - 03:31 AM

settings, cm settings, application, "use internal storage"

Edited by Kaik541, 12 September 2011 - 03:31 AM.

#3 aschweti

aschweti
  • Members
  • 7 posts
  • Device Model:
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 17 September 2011 - 12:44 AM

Hi Kaik541,

sorry, that I didn't reply earlier. I did not get a notification that somebody replied to my post, which is why I thought nobody was able to help.

I checked the settings you've mentioned an I already had this set to internal and my "external SD card", the one which has 32GB and which I have bought separately from the phone, is still empty. It has only one directory called "LOST.DIR".

Any ideas?

Thanks very much for any input, I am really out of memory ;-)

Alex

#4 sirdeiu

sirdeiu
  • Members
  • 5 posts
  • Twitter:@sirdeiu
  • Device Model:
    Samsung Galaxy S 2
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 21 September 2011 - 06:24 PM

aschweti, on 17 September 2011 - 12:44 AM, said:

Hi Kaik541,

sorry, that I didn't reply earlier. I did not get a notification that somebody replied to my post, which is why I thought nobody was able to help.

I checked the settings you've mentioned an I already had this set to internal and my "external SD card", the one which has 32GB and which I have bought separately from the phone, is still empty. It has only one directory called "LOST.DIR".

Any ideas?

Thanks very much for any input, I am really out of memory ;-)

Alex

Try looking in /mnt/emmc with ES file explorer.

#5 aschweti

aschweti
  • Members
  • 7 posts
  • Device Model:
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 21 September 2011 - 07:20 PM

sirdeiu, on 21 September 2011 - 06:24 PM, said:

Try looking in /mnt/emmc with ES file explorer.

I have no problem to access the 32GB sd card. What I need is, that the system uses this card for programms, etc.

E.g. when I have an app installed "on telephone" it is saved on the internal 2GB memory. Moving this app to SD, then the (also interal) 16GB sdcard is used. My 32GB sd card I have manually added to my Galaxy S2 is totally left out.

Edited by aschweti, 21 September 2011 - 07:21 PM.

#6 sirdeiu

sirdeiu
  • Members
  • 5 posts
  • Device Model:
    Samsung Galaxy S 2
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 22 September 2011 - 05:22 AM

Tried changing the install location? Settings / CyanogenMod ... / Application / Install location to External

EDIT: Ok ... Do the above change, then also in Application / check the Internal Storage option. It will say Using expanded internal storage ...

Reboot your phone, after which it should use your 32gb card now.

Edited by sirdeiu, 22 September 2011 - 05:46 AM.

#7 aschweti

aschweti
  • Members
  • 7 posts
  • Device Model:
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 22 September 2011 - 07:36 AM

sirdeiu, on 22 September 2011 - 05:22 AM, said:

Tried changing the install location? Settings / CyanogenMod ... / Application / Install location to External

EDIT: Ok ... Do the above change, then also in Application / check the Internal Storage option. It will say Using expanded internal storage ...

Reboot your phone, after which it should use your 32gb card now.
I changed install location to "External" and rebootet. I didn't find the setting to "check the internal storage option" within "Application" or anywhere else :(

When I remove my 16GB sd card (virtually under Settings -> Storage) and than trying to move an app from phone to sd-card it tells me not enough memory available, so it seems it still doesn't use the 32GB card :(

What am I doing wrong?? :huh:

#8 sirdeiu

sirdeiu
  • Members
  • 5 posts
  • Device Model:
    Samsung Galaxy S 2
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 22 September 2011 - 02:18 PM

aschweti, on 22 September 2011 - 07:36 AM, said:

I changed install location to "External" and rebootet. I didn't find the setting to "check the internal storage option" within "Application" or anywhere else :(

When I remove my 16GB sd card (virtually under Settings -> Storage) and than trying to move an app from phone to sd-card it tells me not enough memory available, so it seems it still doesn't use the 32GB card :(

What am I doing wrong?? :huh:

The option is Use internal storage within Application settings. You need that to be selected, then reboot your SGS2.

#9 aschweti

aschweti
  • Members
  • 7 posts
  • Device Model:
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 22 September 2011 - 04:23 PM

I don't have this option??

Underneith > Settings > Application settings I have the following:

- Unknown sources (Allow installation on non-Market applications) --> Checked
- Manage applications (Manage and remove installed applications)
- Running Services (View and control currently running services)
- Storage use (View storage used by applications)
- Battery use (What has been using the battery)
- Development (Set options for application development)

Underneith > Settings > CyanogenMod settings > Application settings I have:

- Allow application moving (Allow moving of any application to external storage) --> Box is checked
- Install location (Select where new applications should be installed) --> Currently set to External, also already tried Internal and Automatic
- Permission management (Enable application permissions management) -> Not checked
- Phone Goggles (Filter outgoing communications) --> Not set

So I believe I definetly miss the option you are talking about? Could it be a CyanogenMod version issue? I currently have "CyanogenMod-7-08082011-NIGHTLY-GalaxyS2"

Thanks so much for your support!! :)

#10 sirdeiu

sirdeiu
  • Members
  • 5 posts
  • Device Model:
    Samsung Galaxy S 2
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 23 September 2011 - 01:20 AM

aschweti, on 22 September 2011 - 04:23 PM, said:

I don't have this option??

Underneith > Settings > Application settings I have the following:

- Unknown sources (Allow installation on non-Market applications) --> Checked
- Manage applications (Manage and remove installed applications)
- Running Services (View and control currently running services)
- Storage use (View storage used by applications)
- Battery use (What has been using the battery)
- Development (Set options for application development)

Underneith > Settings > CyanogenMod settings > Application settings I have:

- Allow application moving (Allow moving of any application to external storage) --> Box is checked
- Install location (Select where new applications should be installed) --> Currently set to External, also already tried Internal and Automatic
- Permission management (Enable application permissions management) -> Not checked
- Phone Goggles (Filter outgoing communications) --> Not set

So I believe I definetly miss the option you are talking about? Could it be a CyanogenMod version issue? I currently have "CyanogenMod-7-08082011-NIGHTLY-GalaxyS2"

Thanks so much for your support!! :)

Clearly a version issue, do a backup with ROM manager, and try a newer (or latest) nightly build. I`m using build #59 right now. That's CyanogenMod-7-09202011-NIGHTLY-GalaxyS2.

Your welcome.

#11 aschweti

aschweti
  • Members
  • 7 posts
  • Device Model:
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 23 September 2011 - 02:49 AM

Hi Sirdeiu,

you are the man and you saved "my life" :D

I installed build #59, which was the latest available in Rom Manager and after that it worked exactly as I need it. Thanks sso much.

Only question is now how to get all data from the 16GB card to my 32GB card. Sure there are filemanagers, but I am not sure if apps can handle such a move. Would be a lot of work to reinstall every single app, but might be the only way....

Thanks again for your ongoing support, it was highly appreciated :D

Alex

#12 sirdeiu

sirdeiu
  • Members
  • 5 posts
  • Device Model:
    Samsung Galaxy S 2
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 23 September 2011 - 03:17 AM

aschweti, on 23 September 2011 - 02:49 AM, said:

Hi Sirdeiu,

you are the man and you saved "my life" :D

I installed build #59, which was the latest available in Rom Manager and after that it worked exactly as I need it. Thanks sso much.

Only question is now how to get all data from the 16GB card to my 32GB card. Sure there are filemanagers, but I am not sure if apps can handle such a move. Would be a lot of work to reinstall every single app, but might be the only way....

Thanks again for your ongoing support, it was highly appreciated :D

Alex

Glad you have figured it out. And about your data just mount your phone on your pc and copy / paste at it. :D

Edited by sirdeiu, 23 September 2011 - 03:18 AM.