Welcome to CyanogenMod

Welcome to our forum. Like most online communities you must register to post, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the CyanogenMod Forum by signing in or creating an account. You can even sign in with your Facebook or Twitter account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Download files attached to the forum.
  • Customize your experience here
  • Share your CyanogenMod experience!
Guest Message by DevFuse

Nook Simple Touch mod?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 jesuslovesyou3

jesuslovesyou3
  • Members
  • 5 posts
  • Twitter:jesuslovesyou3
  • Device Model:
    Droid 2 Global
  • CM Version:
    Fission
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 02 January 2012 - 04:13 AM

Joined a minute ago so I could speak my thoughts on this matter. Cause I'm interested in 2 devices that are not currently supported by CM. The Verizon Galaxy Nexus and  this Nook Simple Touch.  Both are  really great devices and I would really like to see what the CM teams can do with them and be able to take advantage of each's great attributes. And the E-Ink screen is definetely a PLUS in my book. Cause I want it for reading and some light browsing. And that screen would be super easy on the eyes. Not Netflix or other graphical type things. If somehow movies could be made possible by anyone, I'm sure it would be the CM team to do it and would be totally awsome. But unlikely.

We'll see what miracles of code they can work lol

Edited by jesuslovesyou3, 02 January 2012 - 04:20 AM.

#2 glucose2010

glucose2010
  • Members
  • 14 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    HTC One M7 Devel. Edition
  • CM Version:
    CM11-20140328-NIGHTLY-m7
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 13 January 2012 - 09:19 PM

If need be, I'd be glad to donate a new boxed nook simple touch(N2E) to the Cyanogen
project if that would help to get a port of CM going.

#3 droidhacker

droidhacker
  • Members
  • 236 posts
  • Twitter:hateithateithateit
  • Device Model:
    |2|
  • CM Version:
    LB custom delux
  • Recovery Image:
    Stock

Posted 16 January 2012 - 11:35 PM

dryphi, on 04 September 2011 - 09:49 PM, said:

Are there any plans to do a similar root / mod for the Nook Simple Touch?
Alternatively, will this mod work for the B&W screen?

I know, you're probably thinking, why on earth would I want a non-color nook. Well, I'm not trying to get an inexpensive "pad" out of this. I simply want to use the Nook as an eBook reader, and I trust the guys at CM to design a better OS than the guys at B&N.

Essentially, I want more advanced features and enhanced usability from an eReader.

That is, unless a poster can persuade me to go with the color option; but I really want to use this as an eReader, and I've heard color LCD screens are more straining on the eyes, difficult to read outdoors, etc.

(FYI: I'm currently considering the purchase of an eReader and trying to decide between the Kindle and the new Nook)

As an e-reader, nook color is as good as kindle fire.... worse than useless and a maker of headaches. First off, you can't read when you've got a blaring backlight strobing straight into your brain. Secondly, the battery life with a continuous backlight leaves a lot to be desired. These color tablets are not suitable for reading, and in fact, leave a lot to be desired as general utility devices.

We own four tablets;
Two b&n nook touch,
One b&n nook tablet,
One ASUS T91 (x86).

The nook tablet is ok for web browsing and multimedia. Useless for reading.
The nook touch's are excellent for reading, simple web browsing, email, etc., USELESS for multimedia.
The ASUS T91 is useless for reading, but a powerhouse as a portable workhorse (running Fedora, not Android).

Now the reason why you aren't going to see CM work on the nook touch is because the CM "team" are a bunch of kiddies who are impressed by bright colors. They don't have the ability to appreciate the "it doesn't cause a headache" and "the battery lasts 2 months" features.

#4 bobstro

bobstro

We have reviewed your comments...

• Donators
  • 86 posts
  • Twitter:ttlexceeded
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Various
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 20 January 2012 - 05:49 PM

Wow, I just noticed this. Can't believe it's been here since the 16th with no response. Thread necromancy is usually not a good idea, but I won't let this one get by unanswered.

droidhacker, on 16 January 2012 - 11:35 PM, said:

As an e-reader, nook color is as good as kindle fire.... worse than useless and a maker of headaches. First off, you can't read when you've got a blaring backlight strobing straight into your brain.
Odd. I just spent the last week sitting on planes and in the Florida sun using my B&N NC as a reader. It doesn't work well in direct sunlight, but with a bit of shade, it's perfectly readable in most other settings. I opted for a Zagg matte screen protector, which definitely helps in bright light. It works well for that, but does detract from the otherwise-gorgeous display for video.

E-ink is decidedly more readable outdoors, and I've often wondered why the rock-solid, daylight-readable monochrome display of my 1990's Palm V hasn't been resurrected. But despite that, to say that the NC display is "unusable" is definitely hyperbole, and an opinion at best.

Secondly, the battery life with a continuous backlight leaves a lot to be desired. These color tablets are not suitable for reading, and in fact, leave a lot to be desired as general utility devices.
Battery life on the NC with brightness cranked up to 100% is definitely shorter than with it at 25%, but I can still get a day out of it. It's not like you only get an hour or two out of it in full brightness mode.

I didn't expect my $250 device to be the ultimate general utility device, but I'm getting a lot more out of it than just basic reader functionality that B&N shipped with it. After my laptop display was broken on a recent business trip, I was able to do all my basic business correspondence using a NC for a week. The laptop bag actually fell and landed on the side with the NC in it, and it was the laptop that died. The NC is fine. There's a lot to be said for a device with few moving parts.

Laptop battery life using two batteries is about the same as my NC. While I wouldn't want to use the NC as my primary computing device, it serves remarkably well as a backup that takes up little space, offers a full day of battery life (plus), and works well in the cramped world of business travel.

We own four tablets; Two b&n nook touch, One b&n nook tablet, One ASUS T91 (x86).
Two NC, one NT and a Dell Mini 10 here, plus a Dell E4200 corporate laptop (since we're counting general purpose computers) and a Moto Droid 2 in my portable stable. Each device has specific uses and tradeoffs.

The nook tablet is ok for web browsing and multimedia. Useless for reading.
Unless you're prepared to carry a 2nd (or 3rd) device just for reading, it's good enough. I carry my technical and casual reading library around on it, and I've yet to use a device that made this all so readily available. At best, you can make another YMMV argument here.

The nook touch's are excellent for reading, simple web browsing, email, etc., USELESS for multimedia.
The flicker on NST page changes is annoying in my book. Again, the Palm V had a gorgeous greyscale display 10 years ago that I'd gladly still use, with no flicker. Yes, not e-ink, but very long battery life and excellent readability for its day.

I'm about to go for a NOOK Simple Touch to use as a glorified PDA. If it works, it might replace my NC for on-the-road business basics (email, calendar, contacts). The idea of a week+ battery is attractive. However, if I still have to carry another device to do other basics like web browsing, it will probably get left behind in favor of the NC.

The ASUS T91 is useless for reading, but a powerhouse as a portable workhorse (running Fedora, not Android).
It's a netbook that costs twice as much, so yeah, it's different. The Samsung Galaxy Tab 7 Plus is an actual tablet that provides more functionality than the NC, but again, costs more. The Asus Eee MeMO is going to be super-awesome, someday maybe, for the same price range, but you can't actually buy one today.

Now the reason why you aren't going to see CM work on the nook touch is because the CM "team" are a bunch of kiddies who are impressed by bright colors. They don't have the ability to appreciate the "it doesn't cause a headache" and "the battery lasts 2 months" features.
The NST is a very different device than the others, so the software focus is naturally different. To insult the CM team this way because they haven't opted to support your preferred device is downright rude. The focus of CM has never been "the ultimate reading machine" so why would anybody be surprised? What would CM offer the NST that would further the readability and battery life? That's not to say it shouldn't be done, but anybody trying to put something like CM on that device is going to be after an altogether different set of priorities than the rest of the CM world.

If these are a bunch of kiddies, they're a pretty impressive lot of kiddies. They've expanded the functionality of  devices well beyond what the highly paid corporate developers chose to permit on our devices, and they've done so with minimal expectations. The bulk of the work they seem to be doing in return for a bit of gratitude. To slam them because they're not focused on your toy is rude.

#5 droidhacker

droidhacker
  • Members
  • 236 posts
  • Twitter:hateithateithateit
  • Device Model:
    |2|
  • CM Version:
    LB custom delux
  • Recovery Image:
    Stock

Posted 23 January 2012 - 01:53 PM

bobstro, on 20 January 2012 - 05:49 PM, said:

The NST is a very different device than the others, so the software focus is naturally different. To insult the CM team this way because they haven't opted to support your preferred device is downright rude. The focus of CM has never been "the ultimate reading machine" so why would anybody be surprised? What would CM offer the NST that would further the readability and battery life? That's not to say it shouldn't be done, but anybody trying to put something like CM on that device is going to be after an altogether different set of priorities than the rest of the CM world.

If these are a bunch of kiddies, they're a pretty impressive lot of kiddies. They've expanded the functionality of  devices well beyond what the highly paid corporate developers chose to permit on our devices, and they've done so with minimal expectations. The bulk of the work they seem to be doing in return for a bit of gratitude. To slam them because they're not focused on your toy is rude.

It isn't rude or insulting if its the truth, which it apparently is.

By the way, what's your point?

#6 patruns

patruns
  • Members
  • 662 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Nook Color
  • CM Version:
    C10.1
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 23 January 2012 - 02:05 PM

I would have let it go bobstro. In any event, perhaps this thread should be closed before it gets worse....

#7 ciwrl

ciwrl

Whose bright idea was it to put me in charge?

• Administrators
  • 1625 posts
  • Twitter:ciwrl
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    DS|N1|NS|G2|SGS|SGN|N4|N5
  • CM Version:
    [Latest]
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 23 January 2012 - 03:28 PM

To put this topic on track and provide an answer to OP:

No -the NST is not up for CM

As for the "script kiddies" comment, grow up or do it yourself.

/thread