Welcome to CyanogenMod

Welcome to our forum. Like most online communities you must register to post, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the CyanogenMod Forum by signing in or creating an account. You can even sign in with your Facebook or Twitter account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Download files attached to the forum.
  • Customize your experience here
  • Share your CyanogenMod experience!
Guest Message by DevFuse

Restore Nook Color back to stock

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Shemp

Shemp
  • Members
  • 5 posts
  • Device Model:
    Nook Color
  • CM Version:
    CM7 nightly 8-27-11 encore
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 30 August 2011 - 04:04 PM

Newbie here first off. Just got my NC, registered it online with B&N with ver. 1.2 & serial # 20114300, ROM Manager I installed a CM7 nightly build & ROM manager 4.3.3.0 Premium & Clockwork Recovery 3.2.0.1 internally following the online guide. Works fine for the most part (music sound quality being the worst thing I've noticed so far - which I assume is a hardware limitation) but now I wish I'd used it stock for awhile & want to put it back to stock.

All these How-To guides I've read on the net seem confusing to me & possibly dated.  Can someone point me to the one guide to rule them all - a simple & up to date guide to restore my NC to stock?

For example, I have 8gb & 32gb MicroSD cards. Some guides point to size agnostic downloads.  Which download do I try to use & when I've tried to write the image to the card using Winimage it stalls & won't complete the process in Win7.

As far as the dated part, I only see guides for 1.1 software. Does the fact that my NC came with 1.2 matter? I wouldn't think so since I believe all that stock software is gone – right? Also, if I do succeed in getting back to stock, will registering again with B&N raise any issues?

Thanks in advance

Shemp

#2 JohnnyOS

JohnnyOS
  • Members
  • 5 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Nook Color
  • CM Version:
    CM 7.0.3
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 31 August 2011 - 12:14 AM

Go here at Customizing your Nook Color on Facebook, I've tried it and easy to understand instructions, it takes you back fresh out the box. When you go there look to your left under NOTES ; Back to Stock.

#3 Shemp

Shemp
  • Members
  • 5 posts
  • Device Model:
    Nook Color
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 31 August 2011 - 01:26 AM

JohnnyOS, on 31 August 2011 - 12:14 AM, said:

Go here at Customizing your Nook Color on Facebook, I've tried it and easy to understand instructions, it takes you back fresh out the box. When you go there look to your left under NOTES ; Back to Stock.

Thanks for the reply but was there supposed to be a link in your post?

Shemp

#4 JohnnyOS

JohnnyOS
  • Members
  • 5 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Nook Color
  • CM Version:
    CM 7.0.3
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 31 August 2011 - 03:28 AM

There's no link, If you have facebook type in Customizing your nook color in search box, then go to notes to left of page when you get there sroll down to next page to Retuning to Stock.

#5 swizzleteats

swizzleteats
  • Members
  • 5 posts
    au - Australia
  • Device Model:
    Nook Color
  • CM Version:
    CM7 #177
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 31 August 2011 - 04:04 AM

Here ya go, Shemp:

http://is.gd/7zlief

Edited by swizzleteats, 31 August 2011 - 04:05 AM.

#6 Shemp

Shemp
  • Members
  • 5 posts
  • Device Model:
    Nook Color
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 31 August 2011 - 02:27 PM

Thanks everyone but this doesn’t work for me.

When I get to step 6 – Select the Image that you downloaded from the above link & try writing it to the card in WinImage I get “Error reading file” for 8gb_clockwork-3.0.2.8.img.gz at around 85% finished writing.

This happens on different PCs, different cards, different card readers & different downloaded files all of which Winzip says test OK. The files are not unzipped before writing.

Any thoughts?

#7 patruns

patruns
  • Members
  • 662 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Nook Color
  • CM Version:
    C10.1
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 31 August 2011 - 03:32 PM

That version of CWR is old. You want version 3.2.0.1.

#8 Shemp

Shemp
  • Members
  • 5 posts
  • Device Model:
    Nook Color
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 01 September 2011 - 03:39 PM

patruns, on 31 August 2011 - 03:32 PM, said:

That version of CWR is old. You want version 3.2.0.1.

Thanks, but as stated in my 1st post, I have 3.2.0.1 installed.

Shemp, on 31 August 2011 - 02:27 PM, said:

Thanks everyone but this doesn’t work for me.

When I get to step 6 – Select the Image that you downloaded from the above link & try writing it to the card in WinImage I get “Error reading file” for 8gb_clockwork-3.0.2.8.img.gz at around 85% finished writing.

This happens on different PCs, different cards, different card readers & different downloaded files all of which Winzip says test OK. The files are not unzipped before writing.

Any thoughts?

So, does anybody know why I'm having trouble writing these images to sd?

#9 patruns

patruns
  • Members
  • 662 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Nook Color
  • CM Version:
    C10.1
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 02 September 2011 - 01:57 PM

Shemp, on 01 September 2011 - 03:39 PM, said:

Thanks, but as stated in my 1st post, I have 3.2.0.1 installed.

So, does anybody know why I'm having trouble writing these images to sd?
You are getting a CWR v.3.0.2.8 error when trying to write an image. That means you are trying to write an image of an older version of CWR. It doesn't matter what you have on the Nook internally.

#10 Shemp

Shemp
  • Members
  • 5 posts
  • Device Model:
    Nook Color
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 02 September 2011 - 07:53 PM

patruns, on 02 September 2011 - 01:57 PM, said:

You are getting a CWR v.3.0.2.8 error when trying to write an image. That means you are trying to write an image of an older version of CWR. It doesn't matter what you have on the Nook internally.

Thanks again.  And just so I understand you, my Win7 desktop & laptop both know that I'm trying to write this old version of a file to two different micro SD cards?  Also, this is the only version of the file in question I've seen a direct link to.  I've searched for the newer version & found it but not found any mention of it pertaining to the Nook Color.

Edited by Shemp, 02 September 2011 - 07:56 PM.

#11 patruns

patruns
  • Members
  • 662 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Nook Color
  • CM Version:
    C10.1
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 06 September 2011 - 03:08 PM

Shemp, on 02 September 2011 - 07:53 PM, said:

Thanks again.  And just so I understand you, my Win7 desktop & laptop both know that I'm trying to write this old version of a file to two different micro SD cards?  Also, this is the only version of the file in question I've seen a direct link to.  I've searched for the newer version & found it but not found any mention of it pertaining to the Nook Color.

Try here: http://www.multiupload.com/0DLC9QATOW