Welcome to CyanogenMod

Welcome to our forum. Like most online communities you must register to post, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the CyanogenMod Forum by signing in or creating an account. You can even sign in with your Facebook or Twitter account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Download files attached to the forum.
  • Customize your experience here
  • Share your CyanogenMod experience!
Guest Message by DevFuse

Battery Life

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 ryankliber

ryankliber
  • Members
  • 12 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    HTC Incredible 2
  • CM Version:
    CyanogenMod-7-09292011-NIGHTLY-Inc2
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 30 July 2011 - 11:23 PM

Stock my inc2 barely got 6-7 hours of battery life. I rooted and went to nightly #12 and couldn't believe that battery life over doubled. Everyday i would update to the new nightly but on #16 the kernel changed, and my battery life went to about 9-10 hours. I ended up waiting a few days and restoring back to #15 (the newest version that had the kernel i wanted). The kernel with the phenomenal battery life is 2.6.35.13-cyanogenmod-g72b84b4-dirty aria@giovanni #69. I'm kind of a noob when it comes to phones so i'm not exactly sure what i should do long term as i dont want to sit on this nightly #15 forever. Being that the change occurred in a nightly, they might have went back to that kernel since battery life is so good, but the only way i have found to view what kernel a nightly contains is by installing it. My first question would be to ask you fellow inc2 users with the most current nightly updates if this kernel ever resurfaced since #15. Also, could i update to the newest nightly and then flash the kernel i want? If so, where do i find the kernel itself? I'm all about trying to keep things updated, but when can get 15+ hours of battery life on an old kernel i'm going to stick with that until i hear of something just as good or better. Idk, but i guess when i think of update i think of things getting better, not battery life from 15+ hours on #15 to 9-10 hours on number #16. Obviously there was/is a great benefit of the newer kernel, or they wouldn't have updated to it, so does anyone have ideas on why they switched?

My apologies as this post is quite unorganized.
I would love to hear any info you guys have, thanks in advance.

#2 ryankliber

ryankliber
  • Members
  • 12 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    HTC Incredible 2
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 30 July 2011 - 11:41 PM

Pretty light use, but still.
Posted Image

Edited by ryankliber, 30 July 2011 - 11:42 PM.

#3 jdadad23

jdadad23
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  • Device Model:
    Inc2
  • CM Version:
    CM7 8152011-nightly
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 16 August 2011 - 01:16 AM

Ryan, I have no idea to answer your question as I just performed my first root today, tried MIUI and now CM7.  What I would like to know is, what app are you using in that screen shot?  Very cool.

Never mind.  Figured it out.  Will be looking forward to an answer to your question though.

#4 ummduh

ummduh
  • Members
  • 23 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    HTC Evo 3d
  • CM Version:
    Waiting impatiently for a CM worth flashing...
  • Recovery Image:
    Other

Posted 31 August 2011 - 05:09 AM

Posted Image

Nightly from about a week back and tiamat kernal.

I've since gone 3 days and still have had more than 25% battery left, forgot to get screen shot before charging.

I never turn anything off on the phone except bluetooth since I never use it. Everything else is on 100% of the time.

Edited by ummduh, 31 August 2011 - 05:10 AM.

#5 digitalsynner85

digitalsynner85
  • Members
  • 31 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Incredible 2
  • CM Version:
    CM7 Nightly Build #56 8/31
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 10 September 2011 - 09:40 PM

wow, that's insane man, i wish i could get that much battery life out my battery haha......what size battery are you using?

#6 ryankliber

ryankliber
  • Members
  • 12 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    HTC Incredible 2
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 11 September 2011 - 07:59 PM

@ummduh what clock settings, and governor are you using?

#7 ummduh

ummduh
  • Members
  • 23 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    HTC Evo 3d
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    Other

Posted 14 September 2011 - 02:31 AM

View Postryankliber, on 11 September 2011 - 07:59 PM, said:

@ummduh what clock settings, and governor are you using?

Stock battery, smartass governor, 192 min, 1190 max.

I never shut anything off, other than BT, as I don't have anything that uses BT.

#8 digitalsynner85

digitalsynner85
  • Members
  • 31 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Incredible 2
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 14 September 2011 - 08:06 PM

using the cyanogenmod stock OC tool or using setcpu?

update: scratch that, i decided to flash tiamat and i went check OC for myself and seen its in the standard settings.....time to see if this baby's battery will last a lot longer now. Which radio do you use ummduh? The 622 one?

Edited by digitalsynner85, 15 September 2011 - 04:05 AM.

#9 ummduh

ummduh
  • Members
  • 23 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    HTC Evo 3d
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    Other

Posted 17 September 2011 - 12:28 AM

Yea the 622 radio.

You can see from the screen cap that was very very light use. I was working my butt off for a few days and barely pulled it out at all, so it was like 90% standby time.

I haven't been that lucky since. Usually around 35% or so at the end of the day now, but I've been using it for music all day.. 4-7 hours straight.

Posted Image

typical day lately. An hour or two of web surfing, half hour of tethering, half hour of maps, today was 4 hours of music.

Edited by ummduh, 17 September 2011 - 12:30 AM.

#10 digitalsynner85

digitalsynner85
  • Members
  • 31 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Incredible 2
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 17 September 2011 - 07:24 AM

Hmm. Ok, I just ordered one of those antenna amplifier things that are supposed to help on "any" phone for people who live out in the boonies lol. I get no reception whatsoever, and I flashed the stock froyo radio and I'm trying to see if it helps increase battery life any. Without any use I can make my 3500mAh battery last about 4 days and still be above 40% lol. I will charge it and snap a screenshot since I've been flashing stuff to it all day, the battery meter is all quirky.

On the note of antenna amplifiers, do you have any idea if the ones that you stick to the back of your phone or behind your reception help at all?

Edited by digitalsynner85, 17 September 2011 - 07:24 AM.

#11 ummduh

ummduh
  • Members
  • 23 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    HTC Evo 3d
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    Other

Posted 22 September 2011 - 01:03 AM

have never tried any.. pretty doubting of them, though.

#12 Cutdog

Cutdog
  • Members
  • 13 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    HTC Incredible and DInc2
  • CM Version:
    DInc-CyanogenMod 7.0.3, DInc2 latest MIUI. Tiamat kernels on both.
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 22 September 2011 - 06:18 AM

@ digitalsynner85, your not to far from me my friend, im in st. charles parish. If you want your battery to last a long time, away from the VZW towers i wouldn't over clock but would still recomend using the Tiamat kernel. also turn off everything when not in use: Wireless tether will destroy a battery, GPS, BT... ect. Also i find that advanced task killer from the market can help a little bit if you have the proper settings applied. I also when changing roms go into the advanced option in CWM and delete the battery info so it can re-calibrate itself. alot of roms come with there own kernel and one's kernel setting may not be optimum for another's.

#13 digitalsynner85

digitalsynner85
  • Members
  • 31 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Incredible 2
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 23 September 2011 - 01:31 AM

i don't run any task killers or wireless tether, i only keep wifi on at home and data on when i need it, when i use it lightly, i can get up to like 5 or 6 days, but when i blow up texts that day and screw around on the net while in bed, i'm usually at like 2 days.....perfect example was i was at 100% battery before i went to bed, took my phone off the charger just to see and i ran pandora the whole night, 13 hours later i was at 20%, which isn't that bad at all in my opinion

#14 ryankliber

ryankliber
  • Members
  • 12 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    HTC Incredible 2
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 01 October 2011 - 04:51 PM

View Postdigitalsynner85, on 17 September 2011 - 07:24 AM, said:

Hmm. Ok, I just ordered one of those antenna amplifier things that are supposed to help on "any" phone for people who live out in the boonies lol. I get no reception whatsoever, and I flashed the stock froyo radio and I'm trying to see if it helps increase battery life any. Without any use I can make my 3500mAh battery last about 4 days and still be above 40% lol. I will charge it and snap a screenshot since I've been flashing stuff to it all day, the battery meter is all quirky.

On the note of antenna amplifiers, do you have any idea if the ones that you stick to the back of your phone or behind your reception help at all?

I've tried 2 different styles of those stickers back a few years ago. IMO they are just a sticker that tricks consumers minds into buying them thinking they will improve service. I mean who wouldn't spend a couple bucks to possibly get better service?

I think i may have some advice which will help you get better service than you are right now. Did you know that the battery cover is the physical antenna for the phone? If not, go ahead and take it off and see the no service for yourself. Did you buy an OEM extended battery and cover? Due to price i just ordered a generic for $10. Immediately i noticed no changes to service, but over a few days of use i found 2+ dead zones within a few feet of spots i normally had about 1 bar of service. On a side note i don't recall having ever encountered a dead zone with my phone prior to this (had it since june). I put the battery in at home where i have 3-4 bars regularly, and that never changed.

After a little more testing i came to the conclusion that the generic battery door significantly reduces service, if there is weak service to begin with. I'm no expert on how phone antennas work or anything like that, but i have a good guess at what might be happening here. If you have good service your phone uses less power to hold it's connection with the network, when you have poorer service you phone uses more power to hold the connection. My experience tells me that the antenna (battery cover/door) works just fine in strong service areas where the phone is using low power with little to no degradation of signal, but in weaker service areas when the phone uses more power it's almost as if the antenna can't fully utilize this power. I gave the seller a negative rating with a simple explanation of the problem and was almost immediately emailed asking where i would like a replacement product, or a refund.

Hope this helps

-Ryan

#15 ryankliber

ryankliber
  • Members
  • 12 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    HTC Incredible 2
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 03 October 2011 - 02:57 PM

Actually i'm in one of the classes right now where i had a deadzone. With the extended battery my phone never had service the whole time i sat in this spot. Sitting in the same spot today with the stock battery and cover and i have 1-3 bars (mostly 2). Coincidence? I don't think so.

#16 BeardedB

BeardedB
  • Members
  • 21 posts
  • Twitter:Juan_TheCoro
  • Device Model:
    HTC DROID Incredible 2
  • CM Version:
    HTC Sense 2.1
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 03 October 2011 - 10:53 PM

There's actually times when even moving my finger away from the little holes I get more bars!

#17 whiteb0yyy

whiteb0yyy
  • Members
  • 138 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Samsung Galaxy S3 (d2usc)
  • CM Version:
    CM11 Nightlies, Leankernel@192mhz/1512ghz, gpu@480mhz
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 22 October 2011 - 06:11 AM

View Postdigitalsynner85, on 17 September 2011 - 07:24 AM, said:

Where did you get your 3500 mah battery?

Edited by gearsh1fter, 22 October 2011 - 06:12 AM.