Welcome to CyanogenMod

Welcome to our forum. Like most online communities you must register to post, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the CyanogenMod Forum by signing in or creating an account. You can even sign in with your Facebook or Twitter account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Download files attached to the forum.
  • Customize your experience here
  • Share your CyanogenMod experience!
Guest Message by DevFuse

How to flash ROM without fastboot or power button?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 pikaia

pikaia
  • Members
  • 3 posts
  • Device Model:
    Nexus One
  • CM Version:
    Stock
  • Recovery Image:
    TWRP

Posted 21 June 2011 - 04:42 AM

Hi everyone.

I woke this morning to find my N1 power button unresponsive, there was no signs of trouble up until this morning.  The phone's battery had completely drained, but otherwise no issues.  I've since been digging through piles and piles of how-tos to unlock and root to put c7 on the device (currently running 2.3.4 stock, so I can use the trackball wake app.  Unfortunately on both a Windows 7 and a Mac I've received errors when trying to unlock the bootloader.  

Here is the error I receive from my Mac... the Windows version said something of too many links.

./fastboot-mac oem unlock
... ERROR: usb_read failed with status e00002ed
FAILED (status read failed (No such file or directory))

What am I to do?  I might try to downgrade to 2.3.3 and try Gingerbreak, but would like to get this going.  Any ideas?  Thanks.  I have ubuntu on one of my machines but I don't foresee a different result...

Edited by pikaia, 21 June 2011 - 06:38 PM.

#2 bassmadrigal

bassmadrigal
  • Administrators
  • 12912 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Nexus 4
  • CM Version:
    10.2 Nightlies
  • Recovery Image:
    TWRP

Posted 21 June 2011 - 06:26 AM

If your power button is dead, you won't be able to unlock the bootloader as it requires you to press the powerbutton to accept unlocking it.

Your best bet is to just use a PASSIMG method to load a previous version onto it, and then crack that version (or let it update to a version that you can crack. AFAIK any froyo version is able to be cracked with SuperOneClick, and GingerBreak will work for 2.3.3.

#3 pikaia

pikaia
  • Members
  • 3 posts
  • Device Model:
    Nexus One
  • CM Version:
    Stock
  • Recovery Image:
    TWRP

Posted 21 June 2011 - 04:20 PM

Ok, I've downgraded to 2.2.1 and rooted with SuperOneClick.  I've done some more searching to find a method to install cyanogenmod without unlocking the bootloader, I found where folks say it can be done, but not really HOW to do it.  I've installed ROM manager and installed the recovery.  Right now I'm a little stuck.  I've tried Fastboot, but I can't get it to work on my phone.  I've tried on both a windows and a mac.  Both FAILED and give error messages (too many links? on windows) and just reboot the phone.  Every method I've seen for flashing to cyanogen or to another custom rom requires fastboot (because of the radio?).  With ROM manager I'm trying but am feeling a bit lost at this point.  I've done my homework, but with 900 different methods that all center around some key piece that doesn't seem to be working for me, I'm a little stuck.

I appreciate any assistance.  Thanks.

View Postbassmadrigal, on 21 June 2011 - 06:26 AM, said:

If your power button is dead, you won't be able to unlock the bootloader as it requires you to press the powerbutton to accept unlocking it.

Your best bet is to just use a PASSIMG method to load a previous version onto it, and then crack that version (or let it update to a version that you can crack. AFAIK any froyo version is able to be cracked with SuperOneClick, and GingerBreak will work for 2.3.3.

#4 pikaia

pikaia
  • Members
  • 3 posts
  • Device Model:
    Nexus One
  • CM Version:
    Stock
  • Recovery Image:
    TWRP

Posted 21 June 2011 - 04:48 PM

UPDATE:  Ok, think I broke my phone.  I used the ROM manager to download and install Cyanogen 7.0.3 and after install it hangs at the X.  It isn't moving forward.  Do I have options?

I'm currently trying to recover the phone to the old passimg file.  Hopefully that takes.  But again, I'd really like some help since I don't have access to fastboot.

Thanks.

View Postpikaia, on 21 June 2011 - 04:20 PM, said:

Ok, I've downgraded to 2.2.1 and rooted with SuperOneClick.  I've done some more searching to find a method to install cyanogenmod without unlocking the bootloader, I found where folks say it can be done, but not really HOW to do it.  I've installed ROM manager and installed the recovery.  Right now I'm a little stuck.  I've tried Fastboot, but I can't get it to work on my phone.  I've tried on both a windows and a mac.  Both FAILED and give error messages (too many links? on windows) and just reboot the phone.  Every method I've seen for flashing to cyanogen or to another custom rom requires fastboot (because of the radio?).  With ROM manager I'm trying but am feeling a bit lost at this point.  I've done my homework, but with 900 different methods that all center around some key piece that doesn't seem to be working for me, I'm a little stuck.

I appreciate any assistance.  Thanks.

Edited by pikaia, 21 June 2011 - 05:30 PM.

#5 bassmadrigal

bassmadrigal
  • Administrators
  • 12912 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Nexus 4
  • CM Version:
    10.2 Nightlies
  • Recovery Image:
    TWRP

Posted 22 June 2011 - 11:07 AM

Sorry for the delay. I was out and about all day today. If you still haven't recovered from your "X" screen, turn off the phone and while powering it on, hold the volume down button. This gets you back into your bootloader. From there, you need to select recovery. Once there, go under the mounts and storage option and select format /system (or wipe, I can't remember exactly). Then go back to the main menu and select Factory Reset/Data Wipe. Now select the Install zip from sdcard option and browse to the CM zip (if you downloaded it through ROM Manager, it will be somewhere under the clockworkmod folder structure, but the easier way would be to download it with your computer along with the current gapps and copy them over to the sdcard). Select the CM zip and flash it, then do the same for gapps. Reboot and you should now be running CM.

#6 shinglers

shinglers
  • Donators
  • 13 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Nexus One
  • CM Version:
    CyanogenMod 7 RC3
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 17 July 2011 - 07:33 AM

View Postpikaia, on 21 June 2011 - 04:42 AM, said:

Hi everyone.

I woke this morning to find my N1 power button unresponsive, there was no signs of trouble up until this morning.  The phone's battery had completely drained, but otherwise no issues.  I've since been digging through piles and piles of how-tos to unlock and root to put c7 on the device (currently running 2.3.4 stock, so I can use the trackball wake app.  Unfortunately on both a Windows 7 and a Mac I've received errors when trying to unlock the bootloader.  

Here is the error I receive from my Mac... the Windows version said something of too many links.

./fastboot-mac oem unlock
... ERROR: usb_read failed with status e00002ed
FAILED (status read failed (No such file or directory))

What am I to do?  I might try to downgrade to 2.3.3 and try Gingerbreak, but would like to get this going.  Any ideas?  Thanks.  I have ubuntu on one of my machines but I don't foresee a different result...
I had the same issue. my nexus one was out of warranty and power button died for the second time. I sent it to htc and they fixed that and the charging port(usb port) for $55.00! and they paid for shipping(next day) both ways. took them 4 working days do your self a favor. send it in and fix it right!