Welcome to CyanogenMod

Welcome to our forum. Like most online communities you must register to post, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the CyanogenMod Forum by signing in or creating an account. You can even sign in with your Facebook or Twitter account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Download files attached to the forum.
  • Customize your experience here
  • Share your CyanogenMod experience!
Guest Message by DevFuse

Phone bricked itself.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 bastage

bastage
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  • Device Model:
    HTC Glacier
  • CM Version:
    CM7
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 03 June 2011 - 02:54 PM

So not completely bricked, but I cant get it to do anything. Basically the weather wasn't updating this morning so I rebooted the phone using the power button & choosing reboot. Well it sat at the CM loading screen for almost 20 minutes before I did anything. I know I was 1 version old on the stable releases so I figured I would just install the new one. Well that didn't work. In fact from ClockworkMOD Recovery v3.0.2.4 everything results in the following error

Error while formatting /system!
E: Can't open /cache/recovery/log
E: Can't open /cache/recovery/last_log

Its the same weather I try to restore a known working config from the past installing a new rom or even just wiping the data/factory reset or wipe cache..

#2 el_smurfo

el_smurfo
  • Members
  • 187 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Glacier
  • CM Version:
    CM7 Nightly
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 03 June 2011 - 03:42 PM

http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=1081243

Lots of that going around...

#3 bastage

bastage
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  • Device Model:
    HTC Glacier
  • CM Version:
    CM7
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 04 June 2011 - 12:48 AM

Well that pretty much sucks.. I am not longer using T-Mobile so a warranty exchange is out.. I Guess I am looking for a new phone.

#4 CH@OS

CH@OS
  • Members
  • 11 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    T989
  • CM Version:
    CM10.1 Nightlies...
  • Recovery Image:
    TWRP

Posted 04 June 2011 - 06:57 AM

Happened to me yesterday, woke up phone was dead, got stuck in a bootloop then recovery got corrupted and I got hit with the dreaded:

I searched high and low, nothing worked, tried flashing new recoveries, roms, backups, then I tried the stock image and got the fail-pu.

#5 umsteveo

umsteveo
  • Members
  • 6 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    G2x
  • CM Version:
    CyanogenMod Nightly 195
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 07 June 2011 - 05:04 AM

Here's my hopeful story for the rest of you..

This randomly happened to me today. I've been on 7.0.3 stable for a month or so and it had never given me any problems. Tonight everything randomly started force-closing so I did a soft reboot, but then it wouldn't move past that skating cyanogenmod guy. I didn't wait 20 minutes though haha and did a battery pull. I powered back on but no luck. So I loaded into recovery mode and used clockworkmod to flash a backup I had made in the past. It said it recovered successfully but also showed that same E: log error below the successful message. I rebooted and it luckily loaded into the phone. It was running really slow though and then all these force-close messages kept popping up and when opening apps again. I logged onto here and some people on the chatbox said to use terminal to fix permissions. Terminal app force closed. I tried using adb but I got an I/O error. So someone else said try flashing nightly 91 as he also had those force close errors (95 on his nexus), making sure to clear dalvik cache and data cache. I loaded nightly 91 on my sd card and rebooted into recovery mode because "ROM Manager" force closed. I updated using the nightly 91 rom successfully, but when I reboot, it completely froze (not just sit there looking like it was loading as before) at the cyanogenmod skating guy screen. I reflashed with the backup I had and it loaded to the phone. I had to keep rebooting, and eventually i was lucky enough that in one of the tries, "ROM Manager" decided not to force close. I then selected "Install ROM from SD Card" and picked the nightly and checked clear cache, etc. and it rebooted, flashed successfully, and loaded into the phone with the "new" phone setup screen. I was so happy when I saw that screen. :] It's been going well for an hour+ now, although Google Market and web browser seem to be running slow (not the internet speed itself). At least I have had no force closes now.!

So in short, if you get force closes on 7.0.3 stable, try the latest nightly. Keep rebooting and battery pulling if you need to until you get it successfully flashed. I know I almost gave up..

Edit: I forgot to mention that on one of the tries, the terminal app decided to not force close and i did su fix_permissions successfully, but it did not end up fixing the force-close problems after the reboot.

Edited by umsteveo, 07 June 2011 - 05:08 AM.

#6 umsteveo

umsteveo
  • Members
  • 6 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    G2x
  • CM Version:
    CyanogenMod Nightly 195
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 09 June 2011 - 12:28 AM

Sorry, my phone ended up bricking itself yesterday after all. Bummer.
E: cannot mount /cache etc. errors but this time error formatting /system also whenever I tried to flash any ROM.

#7 neidlinger

neidlinger
  • Members
  • 216 posts
  • Twitter:mjneid
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    HTC MyTouchHD
  • CM Version:
    CM7N61
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 09 June 2011 - 05:41 PM

The phone didn't "brick it self" it was a ticking timebomb. #g2root has been narrowing the problem down to one of two problems. One of them being a bad eMMC chip-set in the phone. The easiest way to find out if you have one or the other is to do a serial number recall.

A lot of bricks been happening, and #G2root has come down to the eMMC chip being the culprit, it's not a defective one but one that goes bad after a while. It just dies for unknown reasons. I'd like people to post their eMMC serials, if recovery gives them an error such as "can't mount cache, data, etc"

You need adb setup for this, use one of the stickys to get started with adb

1, start up adb and type these in.
adb reboot recovery
2, after the device starts up in recovery, enter this
adb shell
3, and then this, your serial number should come up after mmc0:0001
cat /proc/kmsg | grep 'mmc0:0001'

It looks like M4G2DE 2.10 GiB is the bad one, judging from what the #G2root devs say, but lets see what our side is.

Thanks

And unfortunaly I got the bad one too, rooted with gfree, this is what I got
<6>[ 8.328460] mmcblk0: mmc0:0001 M4G2DE 2.10 GiB

5/20/11 Edit: Added a poll, if you'd like to see more options please let me know.

Taken from this thread @ XDA

The other way is to use the root.sh method to root your phone. If you do the root.sh method and "s" stays on then you have a bad eMMC.

#8 CH@OS

CH@OS
  • Members
  • 11 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    T989
  • CM Version:
    CM10.1 Nightlies...
  • Recovery Image:
    TWRP

Posted 13 June 2011 - 12:51 AM

I had the bad eMMC and bad screen, after mine died I called T-Mobile and they said it was out of stock (?) and offered me the Samsung, I was like hell no! I went to 3 different T-Stores and they gave me the whole spiel about it being past 14 days, finally the last place just ripped open an new one and handed it to me! Score! Got home checked and I scored the good screen and good eMMC, pure luck.

After rooting the root.sh way,  I had full s-off and Eng boot. Guess I got lucky.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk

#9 Plague

Plague
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  • Device Model:
    MyTouch4G
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 18 June 2011 - 06:04 AM

CH@OS, on 13 June 2011 - 12:51 AM, said:

I had the bad eMMC and bad screen, after mine died I called T-Mobile and they said it was out of stock (?) and offered me the Samsung, I was like hell no! I went to 3 different T-Stores and they gave me the whole spiel about it being past 14 days, finally the last place just ripped open an new one and handed it to me! Score! Got home checked and I scored the good screen and good eMMC, pure luck.

After rooting the root.sh way,  I had full s-off and Eng boot. Guess I got lucky.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk

How did you get S-On (re-root your phone, make it look stock) did they even check to see if your warranty had been voided by putting a different rom on it?