Welcome to CyanogenMod

Welcome to our forum. Like most online communities you must register to post, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the CyanogenMod Forum by signing in or creating an account. You can even sign in with your Facebook or Twitter account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Download files attached to the forum.
  • Customize your experience here
  • Share your CyanogenMod experience!
Guest Message by DevFuse

Nook Simple Touch

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 englishelf

englishelf
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  • Device Model:
    B&N
  • CM Version:
    NOOK
  • Recovery Image:
    Stock

Posted 27 May 2011 - 04:11 PM

Hey CM! Thank you so much for all your hard work. I'm about to run CM7 on my Nook Color off a mSD and am very excited about it.

I was wondering whether the CM7 would work on the Nook Simple Touch with an e-ink display. Would I still be able to run android/access the marketplace? Would everything display okay on the e-ink?

Thanks so much!

#2 Scotty_Gun

Scotty_Gun
  • Members
  • 11 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Nook Color
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 02 June 2011 - 03:19 PM

Yes, I also want to root one of these new Simple Touch nooks.  The goal for me is not to try and wedge tablet features into an e-reader.  Rather, I want an e-reader that is a true open platform.  This kind of device should work well with email applications, calendar, Google Reader, and Twitter.  The main objective is for it to be "content agnostic."  I want to be able to access content from any marketplace that I choose.

#3 Bateluer

Bateluer
  • Donators
  • 147 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Motorola Droid
  • CM Version:
    CM 6.1
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 03 June 2011 - 03:14 AM

View PostScotty_Gun, on 02 June 2011 - 03:19 PM, said:

Yes, I also want to root one of these new Simple Touch nooks.  The goal for me is not to try and wedge tablet features into an e-reader.  Rather, I want an e-reader that is a true open platform.  This kind of device should work well with email applications, calendar, Google Reader, and Twitter.  The main objective is for it to be "content agnostic."  I want to be able to access content from any marketplace that I choose.

Hmm, I would think the e-ink screen would make a lot of traditional tablet applications very painful to use. Web browsing on my nook is pretty much a joke.

Having said that, I want a Simple Touch while simultaneously wanting to punch their marketing people for naming it the 'Simple Touch'.

#4 Michael Rose

Michael Rose
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  • Device Model:
    G1, Vibrant
  • CM Version:
    CM6
  • Recovery Image:
    Amon_RA

Posted 19 June 2011 - 03:49 PM

View PostBateluer, on 03 June 2011 - 03:14 AM, said:

Hmm, I would think the e-ink screen would make a lot of traditional tablet applications very painful to use. Web browsing on my nook is pretty much a joke.

Having said that, I want a Simple Touch while simultaneously wanting to punch their marketing people for naming it the 'Simple Touch'.

Actually, you would be quite surprised with the functionality of many Android applications on an eInk screen. This device needs a proper CM7 port, ASAP. The eInk screen is never going to do animation and video. As such, scrolling can be a frustrating experience. But, when applications are designed for eInk it can be a far superior mobile tablet experience to anything else. I have installed a variety of apps on the Nook Touch and I love the device. K9 e-mail works wonderfully, news readers, chess and other board games, various reference applications, Amazon Marketplace, Evernote, etc... are even better on this device! I can see the screen perfectly in all lighting conditions except in the dark, and a reading light solves this problem far better than a blindly bright back lite LCD or OLED beaming me in the face. It is easy on the eyes, just like paper, and the battery life is incredible. The screen refresh is not a problem at all as long as transition animations are turned off. The eInk won't do handle animation smoothly on anything larger than just a few pixels, but the actually full page redraws are not a problem at all when flipping through and reading content. We NEED CM7 on this device to get around the Launcher and lack of physical hardware button issues. A tweaked version of the Nook Color version of CM7 is desperately needed. In theory this should be fairly easy to accomplish given that the Nook Color and Nook Touch are virtually identical under the hood. While many see the eInk as a shortcoming, for numerous reasons and specific purposes, it is also far superior.

#5 carlc80301

carlc80301
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  • Device Model:
    HTC-HD2
  • CM Version:
    Android 2.2.1
  • Recovery Image:
    Stock

Posted 20 June 2011 - 04:26 PM

Yes please give us something that will enable Android Market, and Amazon Kindle Reader, Email and some kind of Browser. Personally on the Simple Touch I can do without Flash and any kind of complex graphics. I'm anxiously waiting.

#6 Scotty_Gun

Scotty_Gun
  • Members
  • 11 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Nook Color
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 21 June 2011 - 02:43 AM

I bought one of these last weekend and installed Amazon Appstore, Kindle, Softkeys, Dolphin browser and Zeam launcher. I used adb to get started and then used the appstore to get the rest. I've got my kindle books and access to Google reader, gmail, and twitter via the browser.

These devices are great. A fully supported open mod would likely be very popular.

#7 GabrialDestruir

GabrialDestruir
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  • Device Model:
    None
  • CM Version:
    None
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 23 June 2011 - 12:05 AM

Over on XDA there's a post on how to get android market and stuff working for the Touch.

Edited by GabrialDestruir, 23 June 2011 - 12:13 AM.

#8 gronann

gronann
  • Members
  • 8 posts
  • Device Model:
    magic 32B voda DE
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 25 June 2011 - 07:06 PM

I join the chorus of people wishing for a CM7 version for Nook Simple Touch. There are already scattered hacks and downloads available on XDA, and that will surely continue. But CyanogenMod is by now so much more. I see it as a mark of consistently high quality ROMs, stability and being part of a larger userbase (which increases the likelihood of long term updates and quick security fixes).

Edited by gronann, 25 June 2011 - 07:07 PM.

#9 fogbav

fogbav
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  • Device Model:
    HTC ALL, Nook's ALL
  • CM Version:
    Cyanogen - what else ?
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 15 July 2011 - 01:26 PM

I just got my brand new Touch and it was so frustrating not to get to Cyanogen mod as i expected ...8)

Please make it happen - Nook Color is already cyanolized ... it would be sooo wunderfull to see cyanogen on this very cheap but so great device.
This one is a lite edition for any children giving them the oportunity to go into android without spending 500 $ on the device.

... and when i remember correctly - it would be the first E-Inked Cyanogen device in the challange ...

Thank you so much for your wonderful work ...

FoGBaV

#10 jahfaby

jahfaby
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  • Twitter:jahfaby
  • Device Model:
    HTC Desire
  • CM Version:
    CM 7.0.3
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 17 July 2011 - 04:50 PM

i also would love to see CM on the nook simple touch. there would be no need for transitions, effects or drivers for camera, speaker and microphone. and it would be the greatest ebook device on earth!

#11 domi.nos

domi.nos
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  • Device Model:
    Spica
  • CM Version:
    6.1 (7 doesn't have camera yet ^^)
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 31 July 2011 - 03:16 PM

Please, CM team, let us have that pleasure of using CM on nook. It really is awsome, comparing prise to what it offers. And battery life is a dream.

#12 nort

nort
  • Donators
  • 4 posts
    at - Austria
  • Device Model:
    Samsung Galaxy S III
  • CM Version:
    CM 10.2
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 18 August 2011 - 07:13 AM

Since I have installed cm on my first smartphone (htc magic) I install nearly every nightly build on my sgs. 1 month ago I bought a new nook touch and saw that there is a cm 7 version for the nook color but there is unfortunately no version for the new nook touch.
Is it possible for you dev´s to come up with a version for the nook?

#13 naytowl

naytowl
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  • Device Model:
    nook touch
  • CM Version:
    -
  • Recovery Image:
    Stock

Posted 22 August 2011 - 04:00 AM

I'm waiting my nook delivery... I just registered to say it will make me very happy to root with CM :)

#14 Ryanpl

Ryanpl
  • Members
  • 3 posts
  • Device Model:
    Nook Touch
  • CM Version:
    Android 2.1
  • Recovery Image:
    TWRP

Posted 01 September 2011 - 05:45 PM

I am a total Noob to the world of Android with the Nook Simple Touch being my first Droid device and I have to say I'm very impressed with the system so far. All over the webverse are the praises of the CM rom and how much better it is than the various stock ROMS out there. I have a feeling B&N is going to short change these wonderful devices because they are "only" E-readers. That is far from the case. There is an active forum on XDA-Developers where the Nook Touches have been Rooted and are running quite a number of apps. I'd love to see a CM version for the Nook.

If there are anv CM developers in NYC that wants to play with a rooted Nook Touch send me a PM and I'll let you try mine for a spin.

#15 jago25_98

jago25_98
  • Members
  • 36 posts
    uk - United Kingdom
  • Device Model:
    Nook Touch
  • CM Version:
    none
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 06 September 2011 - 01:43 PM

I just bought a Nook Touch and I don't have much intention of using it for books and I live outside the USA!

My intention is only to root it straight away because the Nook is the only android eink device I could find!

Can anyone give me an insight into why CM7 runs on the Nook Color but not the touch? What are the technical differences between the 2?

I presume the display driver is different, but what else? Perhaps if we host the Nook Touch firmware somewhere for developers to look at for reverse engineering, on a p2p site if it's not allowed to be distributed...
even better, have a poke around your Nook Touch now, try to find the device drivers that are different to the Color and post them on your website.

For more info here's a link for reference to xda dev nook touch forum http://forum.xda-dev...p?f=1198section

Edited by jago25_98, 06 September 2011 - 01:59 PM.

#16 RigWig

RigWig
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  • Twitter:RigWig
  • Device Model:
    Droid 3
  • CM Version:
    CM7/stock
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 12 September 2011 - 02:36 AM

I just got the Nook Touch for my mom for her bday because she has books in literally every format and from every distributor you can find. The nice thing about the nook so far is that it reads almost everything. The problem we have which would be solved by running a cm7 port is that sony's reader app (full of drm) only runs on froyo or higher. With a cm7 port, I assume that we could then install that app and she could read her sony stuff.
So please! atleast consider cm7 on the Nook Touch.

#17 jago25_98

jago25_98
  • Members
  • 36 posts
    uk - United Kingdom
  • Device Model:
    Nook Touch
  • CM Version:
    none
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 02 October 2011 - 11:46 AM

Has anyone tried doing this?

Is it possible to just try it straight with cm7 for NookColor, but running straight off sdcard in case it doesn't work? I expect the touchscreen wouldn't work if it can boot that way but otherwise the devices are pretty similar so could be interesting.

I'd try it myself but I got everything the way I want now.

Edited by jago25_98, 02 October 2011 - 11:48 AM.

#18 jesuslovesyou3

jesuslovesyou3
  • Members
  • 5 posts
  • Twitter:jesuslovesyou3
  • Device Model:
    Droid 2 Global
  • CM Version:
    Fission
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 06 January 2012 - 08:09 AM

Why the heck has this thread been totally dead for 3 months??

I just purchased a Nook Simple Touch with the sole intention of rooting it so I can use it for web browsing, facebook, text book reading, and pretty stoked about using it with Instapaper apps. But it would be very exciting to see a CM dev pick up this. I would be willing to start a bounty for this ( I am unemployed so I couldn't give much so so much, but do my best ) to help spur up development. If we get up enough we could probably get a Nook for testing as well.

COME ON GUYS WHO'S WITH ME??? :wub:

Edited by jesuslovesyou3, 06 January 2012 - 08:10 AM.

#19 wheilitjohnny

wheilitjohnny
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  • Device Model:
    Nook Simple Touch
  • CM Version:
    n/a
  • Recovery Image:
    Stock

Posted 19 January 2012 - 08:55 AM

Hello~

I am also an user of nook simple touch~
I am looking forward to see the CM running on nook touch

i found that there may be some problems on the original firmware which makes the apps cannot run normally even the system is rooted. version 1.1 is the version that i am using. i don't know if it is only my problem or not. i just found that the app with webview component will not be able to change content after scrolling

i cannot wait to see a custom rom running on it and solves any problems!

#20 Vonbolding

Vonbolding
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  • Device Model:
    HTC Inspire 4g
  • CM Version:
    7.1.x
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 27 January 2012 - 08:34 AM

I'm totally down for this my nst is rooted already but I'd love to CM it just for better performance.