Welcome to CyanogenMod

Welcome to our forum. Like most online communities you must register to post, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the CyanogenMod Forum by signing in or creating an account. You can even sign in with your Facebook or Twitter account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Download files attached to the forum.
  • Customize your experience here
  • Share your CyanogenMod experience!
Guest Message by DevFuse

From Galaxy S to Captivate

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 captivatesjs

captivatesjs
  • Members
  • 23 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Samsung Captivate
  • CM Version:
    Continuum v 5.4.1
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 19 May 2011 - 06:19 PM

Hello, I originally had a Captivate, and am using Continuum Mod.  I want to switch over to CM7 now that it is stable.  Am i right in assuming that I would have to load Stock Froyo and go through the other steps through Odin etc., to be able to use CM7 for the Captivate (my device is now a galaxy S),however, I love CM7 and the galaxy has still a lot of issues for daily use.

Can anyone please advise, or did I answer this question all my by myself.....    return phone to Captivate stock Froyo and start the proces from scratch for CM7?  Please advise.....

#2 Kaik541

Kaik541

The Arsehole Samsung Moderator

• Moderators
  • 598 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Samsung Captivate
  • CM Version:
    CyanogenMod 7 Nightlies
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 19 May 2011 - 08:31 PM

captivatesjs, on 19 May 2011 - 06:19 PM, said:

Hello, I originally had a Captivate, and am using Continuum Mod.  I want to switch over to CM7 now that it is stable.  Am i right in assuming that I would have to load Stock Froyo and go through the other steps through Odin etc., to be able to use CM7 for the Captivate (my device is now a galaxy S),however, I love CM7 and the galaxy has still a lot of issues for daily use.

Can anyone please advise, or did I answer this question all my by myself.....    return phone to Captivate stock Froyo and start the proces from scratch for CM7?  Please advise.....

you must be running any 2.2 with root and clockworkmod recovery. you cannot be on i9000 gingerbread bootloaders.

#3 droid_does

droid_does
  • Members
  • 5 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Samsung Captivate i897
  • CM Version:
    CM7 Nightly #12, TJL3, Platypus OC Kernal
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 22 May 2011 - 10:27 AM

captivatesjs, on 19 May 2011 - 06:19 PM, said:

I cannot stress this enough.

Read the instructions/guides on XDA, and don't flash any custom ROM's unless you really know what you're doing which doesn't seem like it from alot of your posts that you have posted here.

but to answer your question here is the answer The following instructions are not mine. I and the OP of the thread on XDA are not responsible if you brick or damage your device

- First time flashing CM 7 to your Captivate (or coming from another ROM)?

Easy way:
Start with a rooted Eclair/Froyo running Eclair/Froyo Bootloaders (do not ask us how to do this).
Install ROMManager Premium.
Flash ClockworkMod Recovery. Pick Captivate (MTD) (ignore the warning about not having an official, pick ClockworkMod 2.x).
Make sure you can reboot into ClockworkMod recovery from ROMManager. Reboot and get back into ROMManager Premium.
Choose download ROMs.
Pick the CyanogenMod Nightlies.
Check the Google Apps addon.
Check Backup current ROM!
Check wipe data, cache, dalvik cache.
Let ROMManager finish the installation.

Harder way:
Make sure you're running a Eclair/Froyo Firmware (2.1 or 2.2) and Eclair/Froyo Bootloaders!
Root your device and install ClockworkMod Recovery.
Do a Nandroid backup!
WIPE (wipe data/factory reset + wipe cache partition)
Install the ROM from internal sdcard using ClockworkMod Recovery
Optionally install the Google Addon (through ROMManager is easiest)

- Upgrading from earlier CM7?

ROM Manager method:
Install ROMManager Premium.
Flash ClockworkMod Recovery. Pick Captivate (MTD) (ignore the warning about not having an official, pick ClockworkMod 3.x).
Choose Download ROMs.
Pick the CyanogenMod Nightlies.
Check the Google Apps addon.
Check Backup current ROM!
Check wipe cache, dalvik cache.
Let ROMManager finish the installation.

Clockwork Mod method:
Download and push the ROM zip file to the sdcard.
Reboot into recovery.
Do a Nandroid Backup!
Install the ROM zip from sdcard (your Google apps will be backed up automatically)

There are no Google Apps bundled with CM ROMs, because Google asked Cyanogen to remove copyrighted apps. After flashing the rom, don't forget to flash Google Addon package if you want it. ROM Manager will allow you to flash it if you just go into it and after flashing the ClockworkMod recovery for MTD devices, choose Download ROMs, and pick Google Apps.

original thread located: http://forum.xda-dev...ad.php?t=978150

Edited by droid_does, 22 May 2011 - 10:30 AM.

#4 twiztidminds

twiztidminds
  • Members
  • 3 posts
  • Device Model:
    HTC INSPIRE 4G
  • CM Version:
    scared and
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 13 September 2011 - 02:40 AM

well i just rooted my girlfriends captivate with superoneclick i am fallowing the easy steps got superuser so i guess that means i have root downloaded rom manager installed clockwork and right now i am downloading nightly 104 i hope this works out !!! if so ill be rooting my inspire very soon

#5 twiztidminds

twiztidminds
  • Members
  • 3 posts
  • Device Model:
    HTC INSPIRE 4G
  • CM Version:
    scared and
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 13 September 2011 - 07:26 AM

ok im lost......

i think i got root on to the phone this has been a longg day and i still dont have any thing new

heres what ive done thus far

used super one click to root and now i have super user added by that so i think i have root then i went and got rom manager off market

opened rom manager and downloaded the free cm7 i chose my phone from flash clockworkmod and tried to reboot in to recovery then i tried to install from sd THEN i got the actual file on my pc and added it to my sd card

all with the same outcome

android system recovery <3e>

samsung recovery utils
  - for BML-

enter power key... exct (all in blue)

then a blue line

(yellow text)
update media please wait

update media finished
   # manual mode#

-applying multi-csc...
installing multi csc

instal default apk-files please wait
install default apk-files. finished

no reboot

so i push reinstall pakcages
and install from sdcard...
finding update package...
opening update pkg...
verifing update pkg...
(red text)
E:failed to verify whole file signature
E:signiture verification failed
installation aborted

so im lost i found an odin1click method

but before i do anything i want some help

what do i do  please answer me

#6 Kaik541

Kaik541

The Arsehole Samsung Moderator

• Moderators
  • 598 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Samsung Captivate
  • CM Version:
    CyanogenMod 7 Nightlies
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 13 September 2011 - 07:55 AM

read the damn wiki and actually follow the instructions. nowhere does it say to root.
http://wiki.cyanogen...ll_Update_Guide