Welcome to CyanogenMod

Welcome to our forum. Like most online communities you must register to post, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the CyanogenMod Forum by signing in or creating an account. You can even sign in with your Facebook or Twitter account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Download files attached to the forum.
  • Customize your experience here
  • Share your CyanogenMod experience!
Guest Message by DevFuse

Motorola Spice (XT300)

Motorola Spice XT300 kernel port spice adreno gpu xt300 200 motorola motofail

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 grant_

grant_
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  • Device Model:
    Motorola Spice
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    TWRP

Posted 28 January 2011 - 03:41 PM

The Motorola Spice isn't too popular and is a bit slow (528 MHz, 256 MB RAM) but I was wondering if it was possible to port CyanogenMod to it since it can easily be rooted with z4root? I'm guessing if I were to try and flash it with a random ROM version it would lock up or not work.

#2 luck02

luck02
  • Members
  • 5 posts
  • Device Model:
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 18 February 2011 - 04:45 PM

I'd like to second this.

I've picked up one of these devices for my wife and I find it very usable and very cheap, myself and a couple of my friends have discussed either trying to port Cyanogen over to it or at the very least getting a Froyo rom onto it.

All 3 of us are full time developers (Albeit none of us work on linux professionally, we do spend most of our free time hacking on linux).  

So my questions would be: Where to start? Has anyone with a serious background already looked into it? What are our major obstacles?

Thank you very much in advance!

Gary Lucas

Edited by luck02, 18 February 2011 - 04:45 PM.

#3 Yancha-Bozu

Yancha-Bozu
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  • Device Model:
    Motorola Spice (XT300)
  • CM Version:
    Stock
  • Recovery Image:
    TWRP

Posted 01 March 2011 - 12:19 AM

I also picked one of these up. Great deal to test out android, only $200 with no contract. I would also like to add another vote for froyo and CM.

#4 EnVy26

EnVy26
  • Members
  • 2 posts
    my - Malaysia
  • Device Model:
    Spice MI 300
  • CM Version:
    none
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 01 March 2011 - 03:02 AM

Hello,

I'm thinking of getting the Spice MI 300 and I'm just wondering, can anyone share with me the working android 2.3 with working google apps.

And I'm still new at this thing so can anyone show me a step-by-step guide on to put this on the phone.

Thank you...

#5 Buzon

Buzon
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  • Device Model:
    Motorola Spice
  • CM Version:
    XT300
  • Recovery Image:
    TWRP

Posted 06 March 2011 - 02:08 PM

This phone is very popular in Brazil and Canada.
Can't anyone help us know how to port the Cyanogenmod to this device?
Lots of people would be happy to stop using the Moto garbage that keeps crashing the phone.

Edited by Buzon, 06 March 2011 - 02:08 PM.

#6 snakerdlk

snakerdlk
  • Members
  • 5 posts
  • Twitter:olivervbk
  • Device Model:
    XT300
  • CM Version:
    STOCK
  • Recovery Image:
    TWRP

Posted 17 March 2011 - 02:08 AM

Hi,
I'm a the owner of a Brazilian XT300/Spice.

First, apparently the adreno200 drivers for the msm7225 chipset are incomplete in the XT300. The acceleration modules are not present. I'm interested in those, and even more if they are in .ko format to be insmodded in the stock version.

I compared stock builds of the canadian and brazilian versions:
Canadian:
SESLA_U3_01.53.1_R01 101112. (Moto_Version.01.53.101.XT300.Mobilicity.en.NA)

Brazilian:
SESLA_U3_01.44.4 101026.
(Moto_Version.01.44.400.XT300.Brasil.en.BR)

I found the Canadian stock in this brazilian blog: http://ideiasnacloud...pice-xt300.html

Sometime in the future I will re-release a custom update.zip based on my device.
(My first release was tested and probably did not work due to the stock recovery.img)

I managed to compile Clockwork Mod for this device.
It does not know the model number.
It lists all partitions fine.(Apparently... did not really check each one)
It says 'CANNOT READ BOOT IMAGE HEADER'.

Using guide from http://www.koushikdu...ery-to-new.html and google.

Managed to flash the test recovery.img and reflash the stock one with flash_image, case someone is wondering.

The compiled ClockWorkMod: http://www.mediafire...yidi0w7pid2u24b

Can anyone help me? Give me tips on where to look for Clockwork porting? Or where to post this question? Thanks.

Hope this information helps someone.

EDIT: And yes, I'm VERY interested in managing to port Froyo to the XT300.

But first gonna have to get a custom recovery.img to do the work of flashing anything not signed by motorola.
And hope for a kind bootloader =/

After that it should be a piece of gingerbread :P

EDIT2: I tried editing the source code where I found the error message for more detailed output.
Used 'make clobber' to remove build directory... md5sum was different but had no effect on the error message.

Just for the record, the message is:

USB FastBoot: V0.5
Machine ID: 1007002 v0
Build Date: Oct 26 2010, 17:31:11

MSM Id: 21
MSM Version: 2.0
Modem Build Id:76XXM-22220MSNCJOLYM
Serial Number: UNKNOWN

ptn 0 name='boot' start=297 len=56
ptn 1 name='system' start=353 len=1440
ptn 2 name='userdata' start=1793 len=1781
ptn 3 name='cdrom' start=3574 len=81
ptn 4 name='misc' start=3655 len=3
ptn 5 name='recovery' start=3658 len=44
ptn 6 name='cache' start=3702 len=320
ptn 7 name='fota_bbuf' start=4402 len=3
ptn 8 name='fota_usd' start=4025 len=3
ptn 9 name='fota_bua' start=4028 len=5
ptn 10 name='fota_ua' start=4033 len=5
ptn 11 name='fota_up' start=4038 len=48
ptn 12 name='kpanic' start=4086 len=3
CANNOT READ BOOT IMAGE HEADER
(I may have copied a value wrong)

#7 snakerdlk

snakerdlk
  • Members
  • 5 posts
  • Twitter:olivervbk
  • Device Model:
    XT300
  • CM Version:
    STOCK
  • Recovery Image:
    TWRP

Posted 17 March 2011 - 04:45 PM

Hi,

I followed the guide from http://www.koushikdu...ery-to-new.html and managed to build a recovery.img.

Switched it successfully in my Motorola XT300/Spice and booted it.

The following appears:

USB FastBoot: V0.5
Machine ID: 1007002 v0
Build Date: Oct 26 2010, 17:31:11

MSM Id: 21
MSM Version: 2.0
Modem Build Id:76XXM-22220MSNCJOLYM
Serial Number: UNKNOWN

ptn 0 name='boot' start=297 len=56
ptn 1 name='system' start=353 len=1440
ptn 2 name='userdata' start=1793 len=1781
ptn 3 name='cdrom' start=3574 len=81
ptn 4 name='misc' start=3655 len=3
ptn 5 name='recovery' start=3658 len=44
ptn 6 name='cache' start=3702 len=320
ptn 7 name='fota_bbuf' start=4402 len=3
ptn 8 name='fota_usd' start=4025 len=3
ptn 9 name='fota_bua' start=4028 len=5
ptn 10 name='fota_ua' start=4033 len=5
ptn 11 name='fota_up' start=4038 len=48
ptn 12 name='kpanic' start=4086 len=3
CANNOT READ BOOT IMAGE HEADER

Any clues to fixing this?

EDIT:
Apparently it is a locked bootloader...who knows...

EDIT2:
Locked or not, the bootloader verifies the signature of recovery and boot partitions. No easy way to bypass...

Thanks

Edited by snakerdlk, 22 March 2011 - 08:46 PM.

#8 dEhzin

dEhzin
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  • Device Model:
    Motorola Spice XT300
  • CM Version:
    Android 2.1 (update-1)
  • Recovery Image:
    TWRP

Posted 07 May 2011 - 08:29 PM

Hi guys, im rookie here! try learn something about Android.

Im from Brazil, and buy a new phone here from Motorola, its called Motorola Spice XT300, and heard this model only sell for Brazil/Canada/Argentina.

But some soul know something about android 2.2 or better for this model? or something about the driver Adreno 200!? what is? Please help me!..

#9 bassmadrigal

bassmadrigal
  • Administrators
  • 12912 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Nexus 4
  • CM Version:
    10.2 Nightlies
  • Recovery Image:
    TWRP

Posted 08 May 2011 - 12:00 AM

From what I can tell, it has been successfully rooted, and clockworkmod has been successfully compiled for it, but it has a locked bootloader and doesn't like clockworkmod. Until the locked bootloader can be overcome, most likely there will only be system updates that are put out by motorola and your mobile provider.

But with root you can still do more things with the phone including removing any of the system apps that came with your phone.

#10 dEhzin

dEhzin
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  • Device Model:
    Motorola Spice XT300
  • CM Version:
    Android 2.1 (update-1)
  • Recovery Image:
    TWRP

Posted 08 May 2011 - 08:13 PM

bassmadrigal, on 08 May 2011 - 12:00 AM, said:

From what I can tell, it has been successfully rooted, and clockworkmod has been successfully compiled for it, but it has a locked bootloader and doesn't like clockworkmod. Until the locked bootloader can be overcome, most likely there will only be system updates that are put out by motorola and your mobile provider.

But with root you can still do more things with the phone including removing any of the system apps that came with your phone.

Thx brow, I recenty have rooted my phone but I cant delete any apps from my system. Can teach me how!?
So about this Adreno, I have found the driver profile from DeveloperAdreno websites, I gonna try to install this profile to try get some good performance, but i put here later....
So my phone have a locked bootloader it is? So this locked bootloader cant permited a change the android OS? I need wait for motorola ou my mobile provider made a OS update?

#11 BorntobeFreak

BorntobeFreak
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  • Device Model:
    Motorola Spice XT300
  • CM Version:
    I haven't it
  • Recovery Image:
    Stock

Posted 18 July 2011 - 08:34 PM

Hello friends!
I'm from Buenos Aires, Argentina and I have a Motorola XT300 (Spice). The carrier is Personal Argentina.
I'd like that Cyanogen creates a custom rom to this device based on Froyo (I want to install my favourite apps to my SD, not to the internal memory) and I know that it has an Adreno 200 GPU (It is not "activated", the original rom hasn't the drivers, so I cannot play games like Angry Birds, race games. The game called "They need to be fed" works very very very slow. It's a shame (This game is a simple platformer). When I installed it and run it, I got really angry due to the very slow performance for a simple game.
Please, Cyanogen, create a custom rom for this device that activates the GPU and based on Froyo. Most people having this device needs it. When I want to download Cyanogen Mod and I don't see my device model, I get really desesperated. Please, create it. Thanks!. Nicolás Matías Funtalas from Buenos Aires, Argentina.

#12 jacortijo

jacortijo
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  • Device Model:
    defy
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 09 August 2011 - 10:45 AM

Hi,
I got a Motorola Defy with the same boot protection and some korean fellows overcome that creating a 2nd boot, you can see more information  here
http://forum.xda-dev...e=Motorola_Defy
and here
http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=1026853

i guess the same principle should be applied to this terminal.

cheers.
J

#13 andrade_luis

andrade_luis
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  • Twitter:@andrade_luis
  • Device Model:
    Motorola SPICE XT300
  • CM Version:
    Stock, porting CM7
  • Recovery Image:
    TWRP

Posted 14 August 2011 - 08:44 PM

The Motorola Spice is a small QWERTY-keyboard Android smartphone, running Android 2.1 Eclair.
Thing is: we want more!
So, in the Spice community on orkut, we're starting a project to port CM7 to the Spice. We're still trying to figure out what's inside the Spice -- all we know is that it's got a Qualcomm MSM7225 (like the HTC Tattoo) and the sensors: Asahi Kasei AK8973 (magnetometer and thermometer), Kionix KXTF9 (accelerometer) and ISL29011 (proximity sensor).

What we want to know is:

1. What functions does the MSM7225 perform? (I know it does the GPS and cellular parts, but what about Bluetooth and Wi-Fi?)
2. Can we use the HTC Tattoo CM7 port as a base for ours? (Like, the hardware is different, but how? Are those different parts readily available in any other CM7-enabled equipment?)
3. Was the Motorola bootloader really broken into, so we can successfully start the CM7-based firmware?
4. How can I retrieve the currently-loaded module list? I'm a Linux user, so I know about 'lsmod', but it doesn't work in my Android terminal emulator. (It runs, but doesn't return anything at all.)

Thanks for your help, and hope to be here with great news next time!

#14 Xiao yong

Xiao yong
  • Members
  • 7 posts
  • Device Model:
    xt300
  • CM Version:
    non
  • Recovery Image:
    TWRP

Posted 15 August 2011 - 01:24 PM

Hello,
I'm also a owner of Spice XT300,I'd like that Cyanogen creates a custom rom to this device based on Froyo or Gingerbread.I have also made a custom rom with theme.Here are my found.I hope it cloud help you. :D
I have found out the way to flash custom update.zip with stock recovery:
first,flash Brazilian SESLA_U3_01.72.0.sbf which supports fastboot
then,turn XT300 into USB fastboot,connect XT300 with computer
next,flash other version stock recovery(download:http://www.mediafire...rhtt62y0mjjliqj) with fastboot.exe,and then you can reboot into recovery mode.
at last you can flash a custom update.zip.
Here is my custom update.zip(download:http://www.mediafire...dh79q8c2mqwtlnf ,base on Brazilian SESLA_U3_01.72.0)  ,it could pass this version stock recovery's verification.
you can make some changes in this update.zip with winRAR,BUT you can only replace\add\delete files in zip,you can also edit update.zip\META-INF\com\google\android\updater-script ,and you can't repack update.zip or broke moto's signature,or it wouldn't be passed by stock recovery.

excuse me,my pool english. :rolleyes:

Good luck!

Edited by Xiao yong, 15 August 2011 - 01:25 PM.

#15 Xiao yong

Xiao yong
  • Members
  • 7 posts
  • Device Model:
    xt300
  • CM Version:
    non
  • Recovery Image:
    TWRP

Posted 16 August 2011 - 07:33 AM

I have found out the source of XT300 2.1 . (page: http://sourceforge.n...t300/home/Home/)

#16 lcsolo

lcsolo
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  • Twitter:lcsolo
  • Device Model:
    spice
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 19 August 2011 - 01:42 AM

Who can make a rom for spice.This phone is popular in Spain ,Canada and China.This phone has a qwerty keyboard.The cpu is 528 MHz ARM 11 processor, Adreno 200 GPU, Qualcomm MSM7225 chipset. So we wish to make a cm rom for it.
We can flash the Spanish rom for it.Then we can flash a Chinese recovery with fastboot .Then we can flash update.zip.We found that we can flash the cloudworkmod recovery with the Chinese recovery.And we can use adb in recovery mode (cloudworkmod recovery).I think these will help you.My e-mail is [email protected] can talk with me.Sorry I'm only a senior high school student .Maybe my English has some wrong.

#17 oxydius

oxydius
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  • Device Model:
    Motorola XT300
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    TWRP

Posted 19 August 2011 - 09:30 PM

Where do we get started porting CyanogenMod on the XT300? Any tips from the experts?

The phone's very decent and now available contract-free for a ridiculous $99 price in Canada. Android for everybody!
http://store.mobilic...sp?pf_id=43695M

Motorola released all the source code here :
http://sourceforge.n...t300/home/Home/

#18 tito007

tito007
  • Members
  • 5 posts
  • Device Model:
    Spice
  • CM Version:
    Xt300
  • Recovery Image:
    Stock

Posted 25 August 2011 - 07:44 PM

Hi Xiao yong,

I tried your update.zip and recovery and it works great!! But there is a problem I don’t have 3G anymore. I notice that I lost it when I flashed the Brazilian sbf file. I tried *#*#4636#*#* to have the Network Type=UMTS but it doesn’t work I get only EDGE. The sbf file changed my baseband from A309_U3_01.71.0 to A309_U3_01.72.0.

#19 Xiao yong

Xiao yong
  • Members
  • 7 posts
  • Device Model:
    xt300
  • CM Version:
    non
  • Recovery Image:
    TWRP

Posted 26 August 2011 - 01:15 PM

tito007, on 25 August 2011 - 07:44 PM, said:

Hi Xiao yong,

I tried your update.zip and recovery and it works great!! But there is a problem I don’t have 3G anymore. I notice that I lost it when I flashed the Brazilian sbf file. I tried *#*#4636#*#* to have the Network Type=UMTS but it doesn’t work I get only EDGE. The sbf file changed my baseband from A309_U3_01.71.0 to A309_U3_01.72.0.

maybe it's sbf's problem.i don't know my update.zip will work on  A309_U3_01.71.0,you can try.

#20 tito007

tito007
  • Members
  • 5 posts
  • Device Model:
    Spice
  • CM Version:
    Xt300
  • Recovery Image:
    Stock

Posted 26 August 2011 - 02:58 PM

I did it it doesn't work.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Motorola, Spice, XT300, kernel, port, spice, adreno, gpu, xt300, 200, motorola, motofail